View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2010, 5:36 pm
Third Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post

I know JKR has mentioned in one of her interviews that through Snape, Dumbledore wanted children to get a glimpe of what life is like (something like that anyways ). At any rate, I personally never understood that opinion/arguement, I mean because life is not always so wonderful, does this mean we should introduce children to its horrors in that way? Through strictness maybe, but unfairness?

Wow! I didn't know this, but it makes a lot of sense to me. It is not about being unfair (I don't think Dumbledore is too fond of unfaireness, but I don't blelieve he know to what extent is Snape unfair either). However it is about having a "hard" teacher that lets students know that life is not a path of roses, because I think Dumbledore understands that is better to let a kid have some hard moments (not traumatic, of course) during his childhood, that allowing him to grow too overprotected, and when he/she finds out how life is really, they won't know how to handle it.
So personally I agree with this point, both from JKR and Dumbledore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
All of that depends on the person, I'm afraid. Unresolved childhood issues impact everybody in different ways, and some people lash out in their anger and sorrow.
I agree too, two people in the same situation might deal with it in very different ways, and for all we know, Snape's greatest failure, is not the fact that he was born in a terrible situation, (Harry also had terrible family life in his early years) but the fact that he doesn't know how to deal with it, and instead of letting it pass, forgeting, or forgiving (pretty much like Remus, who had terrible situation for all his life) he brooded over it, finding guilty people for it, and trying to get revenge, when the offence is long ago gone. He seems to fall for this nearly all his life, and only at the end he seems to start to live in the present and not in the past. It is, IMO, a Byronic hero trait.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320

Last edited by sekhmetlion; December 2nd, 2010 at 5:42 pm.
Sponsored Links