View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Third Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

I really liked Half-Blood Prince because I thought it felt really different compared to the other movies. But different in a good way. It was also, IMO, amusing and I felt like it translated the humor in the books really well which some of the other movies didn't. Harry was great during the felix felicis scene and I also liked Ron's performance during the love potion scene. And the flashbacks with Tom Riddle were very well done. I'm glad they didn't make it completely black and white like in the second movie.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

Probably the Infiltration of the Ministry scene. I thought that was so funny but it was also very suspenseful.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

I actually liked Chris Columbus because I felt he stayed as close to the books as was possible. A lot of the older movies were more visually appealing but I liked the way Chris's movies were directed, plot-wise.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

Not really because I felt like all the directors brought something new and fresh to the movies they directed. Although, I guess if it had been just one director than he would have had the time to grow and expand the way he directed the movies so they got better and better each time, kind of like David Yates did.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

I think the Harry vs Voldemort arc was the most fleshed out. In each of the movies, Harry's confrontation with Voldemort was usually the climax point and it was expanded on enough that the viewer really got a feel for the struggle, especially in the later movies.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

Probably Alan Rickman's Snape. I felt he stayed really true to his character and the Snape in the movies was just how I imagined him in the books.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

Probably Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?

I felt like the sound track really build the mood for the movies. So I think it was important in that aspect.

Who is your favourite music composer?
Which soundtrack is your favourite?

I liked the first movies sountrack.

What is your favourite music track?

I liked Hedwig's theme and the Double double toil and trouble theme from PoA.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?

I liked the last movie's the most, DH part 2.

Best set design (props etc)?
Best special effects?

DH2. I though the Battle of Hogwarts was well done and so was the dragon scene in Gringotts.

Best costumes?

Personally, I preferred the Quidditch costumes that the players wore in HBP. I know they were much more different from the earlier movies but they were closer to how I imagined a Quidditch outfit would look (although I don't know if that's how they were described in the books).
As for the Death Eaters, I always imagined their masks as being something like the Scream masks. But for the movies, I preferred the skull masks that they had in GoF. I think it made them look the scariest. But their pointed hoods kind of looked comical. They were supposed to resemble the KKK but I think it made them look like pencils.
The metal masks of the later movies looked too robotic to me.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Yeah, I'm glad with how the books were portrayed and how the movies turned out all together. I liked how they got darker, visually, in each movie because I felt it reflected the books that way. They could have probably been better connected but overall, I think the directors and actors and everyone did a pretty good job.

Sponsored Links