View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:52 pm
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies
Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

I'm torn between Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince. For me these are the two films that best capture the tone of the books but do so via captivating visual cinema

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
So many to choose from but if I really had to pick one it would have to be the Possession scene from Order of the Phoenix. The way it managed to convey the sense of Harry's love protecting him from Voldemort was so powerful. It could have come over as either confusing or really cheesy, but it was vivid and beautiful drama.

Directing
Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

Overall I would say Cuaron, but I really like Yates work as well

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

No, I think the approach they took was perfect. A really safe pair of hands, good at working with children, to start the series off. Then they experimented by bringing in Cuaron who created an ecstatic reinvention of the Harry Potter world on film and gave the series the shot in the arm and confidence in needed to continue in an interesting way. And Yates, a director with a more understated style than Cuaron but who was terrific at creating atmosphere and getting performances from the young cast, saw the series home wonderfully

Storytelling
Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Overall the development of Harry as a character has been really well rendered in the films. Daniel Rafcliffe spent the entirety of PS reacting to the older actors but in the later films he does a terrific job of showing Harry interacting with the adults on an equal footing and on his terms. Look at the way Harry talks towards Ollivander at the start of DH Part 2 compared to Harry's wide eyed and stunned visit to the wand shop in PS

Acting
Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

This is hard. Acting wise, Alan Rickman dominated every scene he was in. But unfortunately he just wasn't on screen enough. At least he had the pay off the character deserved in DH2. I think I have to give this to Daniel Radcliffe as Harry. His performances got better and better and the scripts showcased this (see my reply to the question above about story arc)

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Probably Jim Broadbent as Slughorn

Music
How important has music been to you while watching the movies?

Very important and the Harry Potter films have been well served by their composers

Who is your favourite music composer?
Probably John Williams but I really enjoy the work of Doyle, Hooper and Desplat

Which soundtrack is your favourite?
I have to sit on the fence and split my vote between PoA (Williams) and Order of the Phoenix (Hooper)

What is your favourite music track?

Harry in Winter (Doyle) from Goblet of Fire

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.
I adored the reinvention of the sets/costumes that PoA ushered in, and HBP I think has the best cinematography

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Very happy. They are by no means perfect but they get more right than wrong. They are very entertaining and I think display an artistic integrity throughout all 8 films to tell the story of Harry Potter in a way that is true to the themes and ideas of the books but in cinematic terms

Sponsored Links