View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Third Year

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Snape, never told her, because Snape tries to speak about the incident in the memory which happened sometime later than the incident itself. So it had to be Dumbledore or one of the Marauders IMO.
To quote Dumbledore from PS/SS "What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrel is a complete secret, so, naturally, the whole school knows." That seemed an even better case for being able to keep the entire thing hush-hush. Apparently, only Dumbledore, Harry and Quirrel should have known. Quirrel was dead and Harry had just awoken from his 3 day coma. Things like that just seem to spread in a school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
When Snape called her a Mudblood, the friendship was all but over. That did not influence Lily to end the friendship IMO.
I think that it did influence Lily. I think it was the last straw. I think that before, Lily could always convince herself into thinking that Snape might change. As long as he was friends with her, that showed her that he wasn't a full-blown muggle hater. That he can see at least one muggleborn as worthy. And where he might see one as worthy, he might see others.

In my opinion, when Snape called Lily a Mudblood, she came to think of him as a lost cause. Instead of him getting "better" (better meaning not hating people like her simply because of an accident of birth), he was regressing.

DH, The Prince's Tale
"I never meant to call you a Mudblood, it just---"
"Slipped out?" There was no pity in Lily's voice. "It's too late. I've made excuses for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you. You and your precious little Death Eater friends - you see, you don't even deny it!"

To me, this reads that Lily now thinks that Snape has considered her a Mudblood for a while, but had just kept it to himself. This time, when he was angry, his true opinion of her "slipped out" (this is what I think she is thinking not necessarily that it was true of Snape). I think she had been telling her friends that Snape wasn't like the others and using the fact that he was friends with her as proof. He didn't consider her a Mudblood, so he wasn't like Avery and Mulciber. That he was capable of change. Once he did call her a Mudblood, I think she became convinced that she had been wrong all along.

To me, I think that Lily was justified in dropping the friendship. It wasn't like she liked cats and he liked dogs. It wasn't a matter of opinions they differed on. Death Eaters hate muggleborns and she is a muggleborn. They target muggleborns. They harm, torture and kill muggleborns. She can't change the fact that she is muggleborn. She doesn't think that she's done anything wrong by just being muggleborn. So, I think it's pretty tough to be friends with somebody who she thinks hates muggleborns. Now, I don't think that Snape was a DE at that point or that he hates her (and I've actually never detected him being mean to muggleborns. Dean appeared to have been a muggleborn and I don't recall him being especially mean to him (it turns out he was not muggleborn, but Snape wouldn't have known that)), but I think that after he calls her a Mudblood, given all that has gone on before, she just isn't willing to work at the friendship anymore. And I agree that the relationship was already pretty fractured by this point.

I'm not even sure that Snape ever did consider her a Mudblood (obviously, he knew she was a muggleborn, but there is a difference between thinking of somebody as a muggleborn and thinking of them as a Mudblood, IMO). I think that he was angry and hurt at that time and he just thought up the biggest insult he could think of at the time. Unfortunately, given what they had been arguing about, that was the worst thing he could call her. And that was that.

Last edited by wingardium713; July 26th, 2008 at 11:20 pm.
Sponsored Links