View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2008, 5:12 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
This goes back to the fact that we didn't get to see every moment of their friendship. She did tell him that was Avery and Mulciber did was evil. And it seems very likely that they used some Dark Magic on Mary because why else would she describe it as evil. So I don't think she was ok with it.
I agree, we don't get to see a lot of the friendship. I make my point on only one thing.

Lily and Snape were friends for 6 years. They met before Lily got her letter, perhaps when they were 9 or 10; they broke up when they were 15.

They were also together all the time, and Snape came to the school knowing more about curses and stuff, than 7th years.

All this is canon IMO.

I am assuming that Snape did not start reading the dark arts only in his fifth year. I think Snape was into reading almost everything there was at his home and I think that's where he got the dark arts books. The Snapes don't seem to be able to afford buying books. In Hogwarts, I don't know if there were books on dark arts and if Snape could access them. If there were books, they would most likely be in the restricted section, and Snape without invisibility cloaks would not IMO be able to access them.

This brings another theory. If Snape as I think he did, got his books on the dark arts from his home, then did Eileen Snape read them as well? How did he get books on the dark arts anyway?

Okay, since I assumed he was into reading about all kinds of magic, I thought Lily would also automatically know about them. She seems to know everything (even about Avery and Mulciber).

She was not okay with the use of dark magic. I never said so.

I said she was okay with reading about it. That was why I gave the example of a criminal lawyer or people who love to see ghost movies or read gory stuff. By itself it does not make them good, bad or evil. It may harm them when they try to experiment in crime, ghosts or anything.

Like wise I really don't think it wrong or think it makes Lily look bad just because she was okay with Snape reading about the dark arts. That does not mean, she would be okay with him practising it. That was what I said and this is what I meant. It would also be okay, if like Hermione would have, Lily too, would read along with Snape about the dark arts. I in fact think she did. And I think reading about dark arts does not make anyone evil, not Snape, not Lily IMO.

Quote:
We'll go back to that boyfriend I had that was getting deeper and deeper into drugs. I was not ok with it and kept after him to give it up. I felt like I was the only decent person he knew, but eventually I had to give it since it threatened to pull me in.
I agree with this as well. Lily was under no obligation to keep a friendship she did not want, for any reason, and we saw she did break it.

What I am trying to say is that just because she broke it citing her "Inner Eye" that Snape would surely become a DE (she was right as well I suppose) some 2 years into the future, it did not make Snape as a dark arts practitioner. Because he did not practise the dark arts in School. That is not canon IMO.

Quote:
JKR told us that Lily might have become romantically interested in Snape had he not been involved with the Dark Arts. I would think that would be enough to tell us that Lily wasn't ok with Snape's involvement with the Dark Arts.
I saw the intense look and resultant blush as an evidence of Lily's knowledge of Snape's feelings.

I also think Lily could not handle it and this could also be another reason she decided to move away from Snape, because she had or was falling in love with James and she could not give what Snape was hoping she would give him IMO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links