View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 5:27 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
This isn't an adaptation of anything. It's an original Canon work (as far as I know, anyway) written for the theatrical medium, just as the Fantastic Beasts screenplays are (I believe) original Canon works written for the filmic medium.

Therefore, Rowling could very easily use the casting to retroactively establish that Hermione is a Canonical non-Caucasian individual, even if she never comes right out and says that she's doing so.
I'm not sure i understand your point. Yes, the play is based on Rowling's story so it's canon, but the casting is an entirely different thing and not decided by Rowling. This play can only make Hermione dark skinned if something about her skin color or heritage is mentioned in the story itself. Just because the actress looks a certain way however doesn't mean that anything about the character changes. In the movies, there were plenty of actors who were at least 10 years older than their characters. That doesn't mean the ages of the canon characters got changed. Snape was still in his 30s when he died not in his 50s. Hermione is still a white character played by a black actress.

Sponsored Links