View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:29 am
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

You have seen Deathly Hallows Part Two. Ten years ago the first Potter movie hit the cinemas. Now years later we have reached the end. This thread looks back on those ten years and eight movies.

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
Prisoner of Azkaban. For me it just captures the spirit and emotion of the books the best, and I love Alfonso Cuaron as a director.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
I really can't. There are several. I guess the climactic sequences of every movie.(The time turner scene, the grave yard, the cave etc.) Right now though, I'm feeling like it might be the forest scene with Harry and his loved ones, but that's probably just because i'm fresh out of the cinema.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
Alfonso Cuaron
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
Nah. I think any director, no matter how good, would get creatively exhausted doing the same project for 10 years.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
Probably just the story of all the kids growing up: The trio, Neville, Draco etc. Due to the constraints of cinema, pretty much all of the actual plots and story arcs were given short shrift to varying degrees.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
Probably Harry.
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Tom Felton, specifically in HBP. He came out of nowhere to give a great performance.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
Very
Who is your favourite music composer?
Williams
Which soundtrack is your favourite?
Prisoner of Azkaban
What is your favourite music track?
A Window to the Past

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
Half-Blood Prince for sure
Best set design (props etc)?
I feel like you can't really single out any film here.
Best special effects?
Probably Deathly Hallows Part 2
Best costumes?
Can't single out a film.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
Yes. There will always be things to complain or nitpick about, but I think they did a dang fine job.

Sponsored Links