View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2011, 2:45 am
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

POA will still always be my favourite. Cauron's eccentric camera shots, Dan's huge jump in acting ability and Snape's "Page 394" line are too good for me to say otherwise.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

This is hard. I still to this day become an emotional wreck when Amos cries over his son's body. I think that moment is the most heartbreaking moment in the entire series, more so than dumbledore dying. Aberforths patronus or the prince's tale are now strong contenders for favourite scene tho.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

I think Colombus captured the wizarding world from the books perfectly, tho Cauron added a wonerful sense of quirkyness.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

Yes. I'm a continuity nut, and the Potter films have been a mess continuity wise. I feel the films should have been made as a series, not as stand alone films, which they were until about HBP.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

The trio coming of age has always been the centre of the films, due to the three actors literally growing up on screen. Many of the other subplots mentioned above took a back seat in the middle few movies.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

Casting has been the series strongest point. No one gives a bad performance. Alan Rickman has always been great, but having seen DH2, I found Snape much more sympathetic in the film than I did in the book due to his performance. And I dont think ive ever heard a single word delivered with such gravitas, weight and danger as "NOW."

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

Not sure what this means, but I will say I was surprisingly impressed with Matt Lewis in DH2. His speech was genuinly moving.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?

I'm a muso and and a film music buff. To me, the music is one of the most important aspects of the films.

Who is your favourite music composer?

No one can beat John Williams, tho Doyle and Desplat certainly didnt disappoint. Not a big fan of Hooper, but I suspect if Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and In Noctem had made it in to HBP, my opinion would be different.

Which soundtrack is your favourite?

I have a soft spot for COS actually, tho recently I havent been able to get Lily's theme out of my head.

What is your favourite music track?

In Noctem. Shame its full version was cut.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?

possibly DH2. HBP was far too dark and murky/

Best set design (props etc)?

I really like POA's redesign of the castle and the character's wands. The astronomy tower is probs my favourite set

Best special effects?

DH2 hands down. I honestly didnt think they had that ability in them after Grawp.

Best costumes?

I love lucius's battle gear. Also, hermione's tops and jumpers in DH1 are all really well suited to her. Harry's jumper in the tent dancing scene however ...

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

The continuity issue always bug me, and often the series didnt explain plot devices (the marauders map, priori incantatem, the taboo, the mirror shard). I do, however, appreciate David Yates' attempts to reconcile the films' differences (explicitly refering to Warwick Davis' character as Flitwick, combining the penseive designs, reintroducing the marauders map). Emotionally, i think the series has excelled. To literally watch Harry, Ron and Hermione grow up on screen gave the character's journey a sense of realism, as of course, Dan Rupert and Emma were going on their own journey. I enjoy the notion that casual viewers will now go back with renewed zeal and watch the earlier films with Snape's and Dumbledore's revelations in mind.

Sponsored Links