View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
I chose OotP. I don't know why, but I will always have a soft spot for it. I think I will need to rewatch DH2, but i think that HBP, DH1 and DH2 are all tied for 2nd place, not far behind OotP at all.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
I really like the little things that tie everything together, so for that reason, I'll chose the Prince's Tale as it really does tie the whole series together.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
Defiantly David Yates. I find all of his films miles ahead of the others.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
Probably, but like Yates said in an interview, no one would be able to survive all 8, especially since they were working with children who aged quickly.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
I think in the series as a whole, the coming of age of the trio is the most fleshed out, followed by the Harry vs Voldemort confrontation. Snape's plot is pretty good in the films too, but it just isn't given the same about of focus as the other plots.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
This is a tough one. Almost all the characters were portrayed very well.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
I don't quite understand this question, but all of the actors and actresses in the film did a splendid job .

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
I find that music defines a scene. It draws you in and feeds you the emotions. I dislike films with limited music, and also films with limited variety in music.

Who is your favourite music composer?
Nicolas Hooper. I loved his fresh and excited work in OotP and HBP. Alexandre Desplat would most likely be second, but I was disappointed with his DH2 soundtrack, although Lily's Theme is beautiful.

Which soundtrack is your favourite?
HBP. It conveys the wide range of emotions that the film does really well, IMO.

What is your favourite music track?
Dumbledore's Farewell from HBP. It ripped me to pieces in HBP and it tore me apart when it reappeared in DH2.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
I don't take too much attention to this, but HBP had some of the most beautiful shots in it.

Best set design (props etc)?
I love the time-turner, but all of the sets and props in the film are amazingly made. Stuart Craig, Stephanie McMillian and the entire art department did a magical job (excuse the pun) bringing the sets and props to life!

Best special effects?
This is hard to say. Definately not PS (the quidditch match is so fake) but all of the other films have done quite an amazing and for the most part realistic looking job at portraying things that can not happen in the real world .

Best costumes?
Again this is hard to say. I do prefer the PoA onwards uniforms compared to the PS/CoS uniforms, but all of the films have amazing costume design.

Overall verdict

Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
I think I will have to watch DH2 again, but at the moment I think yes for the main part. Although the series doesn't actually feel like a series until OotP, this is like the books too, with the previous entries being single stories with minor plots continuing throughout.

I am very proud of these films. Although I can say they are not perfect (nothing ever is), it has brought me great entertainment and made be smile, laugh and cry. They've also made me find some amazing friends on this forum.

This is probably the soppiest post I've ever written - I'm almost crying just writing this - but that you WB, thank you Jo, and thank you CoS forums .

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Sponsored Links