View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2011, 5:27 pm
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
Definitely DH Part 2. It rounds off the story very nicely and manages to put in everything that was significant in the book.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
Snape and Dumbledore's conversation in the Prince's Tale where Snape reveals his motives for protecting Harry all these years, and his horror that Harry was expected to die.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
I'm tossing between Alfonso Cuarón and David Yates, but I think I'll go with David Yates. DH Part 2 was just too amazing.
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
That would depend on which director, but I think it's nice to have some variety in the series.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
I think Draco's story was represented the best in the movies - they stayed loyal to the books and showed him as a nasty git in the first few movies, then the fear and stress he experienced from Voldemort when he was forced to try and kill Dumbledore, and then his eventual reluctance to help Voldemort (he didn't identify Harry at Malfoy Manor when he clearly knew it was him!). He evidently became a better man after the War (:

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
Definitely Snape - he gets the wittiest, most memorable lines in the film and Alan Rickman steals every scene he's in with that menacing, cold demeanor and silky voice
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Alan Rickman - need I say more?

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
Very - the music sets the mood and atmosphere of the film.
Who is your favourite music composer?
Alexandre Desplat.
Which soundtrack is your favourite?
DH Part 2 - listening to it right now (: The score's amazingly emotional.
What is your favourite music track?
Aaargh there's so many to choose from! Hedwig's Theme is an obvious one, but I also love Snape to Malfoy Manor <3 And Obliviate. Severus and Lily is amazing as well.
Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
Both parts of DH had great cinematography - big fan of Eduardo Serra's work. HBP was great as well; I think it was nominated at the Oscars for it.
Best set design (props etc)?
The Great Hall during the Yule Ball was beautiful.
Best special effects?
Love the dragons in all the movies - GoF first task dragon & the last movie's Gringotts dragon.
Best costumes?
I love Fleur's wedding dress in DH Part 1.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
They'll never reflect how wonderful the books are, but then again, which movie series does? Considering how long the series is and the fact that all the movies have been great in their own way, I'm very satisfied with them. Can't believe they're over though! I'm still suffering from post-HP traumatic stress disorder

Last edited by Limplict; July 15th, 2011 at 7:28 am.
Sponsored Links