View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Second Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
The lack of information, as you put it, doesn't make the ending of the film different than the book. The ending of HBP (book and film) is quite shocking and unique compared to the others and part of the reason is that adult Voldemort doesn't take part of it for once; he's lurking somewhere in the background planning his next step, but audiences are reminded of his presence through the memories. And near the end the audience is told exactly what the hero needs to do to kill him: Destroy some common objects consisting of Voldemort's soul, then "one kills Voldemort."
While I would have liked more exposition myself, this is all they need to know about horcruxes at this point. The concept needs to be reintroduced in DH anyway. A movie in which something will be achieved concerning the horcruxes.
Yes, the ending is unique and shocking, but with the book, I got that there was a very clear path to destroy Voldermot. For the first time in the series, we KNEW what would happen in the next book: 1-Go to the Dursleys for the last time, 2-The wedding 3-Go to Godric's Hollow,4-Find the real locket and destroy it 5-Find Hufflepuff's cup and destroy it 6-Find the other Horcrux and destroy it 7-Kill Nagini 8-Kill Voldermot. And if Snape turn up kill him as well

Until that moment,it seemed to me that Harry would continue to fight Voldemort, but there wasn't a clear path to destroy him. The series could be extended to a dozen of books and Voldemort would keep escaping at the end. So after I read chapter 23 of HBP I felt a sense of satisfaction, KNOWING what was the way to kill Voldemort. They finally had a plan, some steps to follow and finally be able to destroy him.

That's what I felt missing in the movie. It just seems ANOTHER adventure of Harry against Voldemort. And they could have fixed that adding just a couple of lines, barely any exposition, but just "Voldemort though that 7 is the most powerful magical number, so I believe he broke his soul in 7 pieces... He made 6 horcruxes, and once you destroy all of them, you can destroy the 7th piece of his soul... himself".

AND I still don't know how is Harry going to figure everything out for himself.

Sponsored Links