View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Second Year

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

The most that I would wish for the films' distributor to include in future DVD releases would be audio commentaries by the directors, such as Alfonso Cuarón and David Yates, especially one by the former. From what I am able to recall, Cuarón always gave interviewers interesting comments regarding the process of adapting J.K. Rowling's world for the cinema, and I would love to hear more of them. In addition, the second disk of my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban no longer works, and I am thus unable to access any of the documentaries that feature his filmmaking insights; with a new, "Ultimate Special Edition" DVD, I could once again listen to his wonderful thoughts about adaptive creativity and cinematography. As for Yates, he appears to be quite a fan of the novels, and I would love to hear him discuss the hardships that occur during the process of cutting large amounts of the book to create an acceptable film.

Without commentaries, I would see no reason to purchase newer DVD copies of the films. As far as deleted scenes go, I think that the theatrical versions of the Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix films suffice, though I would not mind it if Warner Brothers included some of the forty-five minutes of Order of the Phoenix that they requested David Yates and his crew to cut; as for Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, let me simply say that I would prefer versions that actually had less material in them than their theatrical versions. There are enough featurettes on the production of the films on the older releases, and I therefore see no reason to include even more in future ones. Bloopers do nothing to interest me, nor do audience tapes; director commentaries are the only new features that would sell these upcoming "Ultimate Special Editions" for me.

Sponsored Links