View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2006, 2:56 am
Second Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
PoA, definitely, bc it's my favorite book, and I just hated so many things about that movie...I didn't like the way my favorite character was cast, I didn't like how nobody ever explained about the Marauders, I didn't like how half the movie was watching the Willow eat birds, I hated the whole zen atmosphere thing...the whole movie just drove me nuts.
"Watching the Willow eat birds" - I hated those Willow bits, and I read that and burst out laughing.

I didn't really like the CoS or PoA movies. CoS just lumbered along - it moved so slowly, but I felt like they still skipped half of the plot. It's my favorite of the books, and I thought the movie just fell flat - and took a really long time to do it.

PoA is my least favorite, though. It doesn't even feel like the book to me. That zen atmosphere bugged me too, and the Remus/Sirius/Peter/Harry scene went by at warp speed. The characters talked so fast that I could barely follow, and I wound up having to explain the whole Marauders plotline to my boyfriend afterward. Also, I didn't like that they presented Lupin as more Lily's friend than James'. Harry's dad is a big part of the book PoA, what with being Sirius' best friend, a Marauder and the source of Harry's Patronus, and I felt like he was just lifted out of the story.

Before PoA movie fans kill me, though, I do think that it was the best acted of all of the movies, especially well-acted by the trio. Daniel Radcliffe was much better in PoA and Emma Watson wasn't overdoing it (like in GoF). PoA also had better continuity - time theme, Hogsmeade, danger from Sirius Black all pervaded throughout, which didn't always happen with the first two movies.

And it's all just my opinion! For example, I can't stand Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and my best friend loves it. We have argued about its merits (or lack thereof) for hours, and now we pretty much agree to disagree. We see the same issues differently, and sometimes it drives me crazy, but we respect each other's opinions.

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have," said Hermione.

Harry's "hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione." - HP and the Half-Blood Prince

Last edited by Malindorie; November 5th, 2006 at 6:50 am.
Sponsored Links