View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Fifth Year

Re: The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer v.3

Quote:
Well, not all new writers are like that. For me, it's the opposite way. So many times, it feels as if it is my characters who are writing the story. Sometimes, it's almost as if they are taking my hand in theirs (like in pre-school, where your nusery teacher helps you to shape your first 'A'?) and are writing for me. Do I make any sense?
Absolutely, and I totally agree. Every great writer has said that the characters took over. And I wonder this: when readers are dissatisfied with an ending or with a character and the path they took, is it because maybe the writer didn't let the character have its say and "forced" the issue, like I was doing? That when you let go and let them lead you, it has a better more natural feel to it?

Just a thought.

As to the happy ending:

In general, yes, I like happy endings. But it depends on the story and whether or not it should have a happy ending. Some stories are good because the ending isn't happy - it fits with the plot, with the characters, or with the theme that the book was trying to get across.

For the Twilight series, I think a happy ending was possible, just not as "perfect" as Meyer made it.

Part of me is willing to believe that Bella wasn't meant to suffer much in becoming a vampire because it was her "destiny" to not be human anymore (see some of my previous posts where I give my "excuse" or "explanation" as to why Bella may seem so anti-social with humans and why she seems to give all that up so easily for Edward). She was a clumsy shy human and her life seemed awful unhappy - so she gets a gift - becoming a vampire where she's strong and graceful and she somehow just feels more comfortable in that world.

On the other hand, Meyer made a big deal out of Edward telling her what she was giving up and it would have been nice for her to acknowledge that some how. To have some conflict ultimately in making that choice.

It could have started out in New Moon where, instead of being "comatose" for 4 months, she could have started hanging out more with the humans at high school, especially Angela. Yes, she should have been with Jacob as well, but I would have done it differently and had more romance. The whole "She had no idea that she was in love with him" made the Bella/Jacob "romance" pretty much luke warm for me. I saw how Jacob loved Bella, absolutely. But for me, Bella was just being a "tease". I got no indication at all that she might love him. I know it's from her POV and we're supposed to get hit over the head with it when she does, but I just don't like that kind of storytelling. I want to hear her thoughts as she agonizes over the feelings she's having. I want to KNOW. That's the point of seeing through someone's POV. Not necessarily Third Person Omniscient POV, but at least something.

So that's an improvement Meyer could have made right there - Bella starts to become more connected to the human world such that she can start to have some second thoughts about it all.

As for Nessie - I'm not sure what the plot point really was in Bella getting pregnant. Was it so Edward would have no choice but to change her? I figured that's one way that Meyer would have gone anyway. I figured Edward would never do it unless he had to. But I don't know if this was the best way to do it. Why a baby? It just feels "forced" to me. As for it being "perfect" for Bella, I never heard Bella say that she wanted children. She didn't even want to get married, so in having Nessie, the only thing it gave her was becoming a vampire. Yes, she loves her daughter, absolutely. But I don't see this as inherently something extra for her. It's not like "not having children" was ever a reason she considered for NOT becoming a vampire. Not that I remember anyway.

As for being a newborn - I thought it kind of went with Bella's ability to control her thoughts so strongly that even Edward couldn't read them. So at first it kind of makes sense.

Then again, it would have been nice to see her struggle with it, to realize that Edward was right, and for her to feel a little bit guilty, especially if she say, messed up and fed on a human or something, or even found herself going after Charlie.

As for the Volturi, either they had some kind of importance to the whole thing, or they were just put there for conflict. The way Meyer wrote it, it feels like the latter, when it could have been the former. And I've already given my humble opinion on possible battle scenes for that.

I just think that Meyer was so focused on telling "Bella's story" that she just either refused to branch out a bit, as JKR did (I mean, HP is quite a web of stories and not just about Harry; JKR seemed to have a good talent at making sure that you felt like you were part of this magical universe), or she just was not able to do it due to lack of experience. She took too much on perhaps.

And I think that maybe if she had taken some more time, gotten a better editor, it could have ultimately been a much better, richer, deeper story.

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression. A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement -- this is the sum of good government. ---Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links