View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:14 pm
Third Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
That bothers me immensely as well. Hermione had some flaws in the books, in the movies, she was one complete MarySue. Part of this was, as you mention, giving her lines from other characters even things she had no way of knowing, and when the actual character was right there in the scene, too. One of the most annoying of all is giving her Ron's line from PoA "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill all of us". Where the movie turned Ron into a blithering idiot in that scene. The destruction of the trio is one thing that I really hate about the movies. I absolutely love the interactions between the trio in the books. They really are a unit. However, in the movies, it's clearly a Harry-Hermione team with Ron tagging along. (Makes me love the scene JKR put in the DH book with the locket spewing forth a load of stuff that seems to fit movie-Ron, not book-Ron. And it's a nice dig at all the Ron-bashing which comes from the movies.)

To be honest, I felt that characterization was a big problem with the movies.
Exactly. Hermione's characterization as the perfect character in turn affected the other two of the trio. Calling Ron even a sidekick is probably a overstatement as far as the movies are concerned because not only Hermione but even Harry is given some of his better moments (eg- the Felix Felicis idea). Then you have the fact that if you haven't actually read the book you'd think Ron practically cheated on Hermione in HBP. Even Harry is often showcased as ridiculously dumb in certain cases. In the books Harry figures out himself that he must talk to the ghost of Ravenclaw but in the movies it's Luna who helps him out. Now personally I don't mind it too much as Luna is one of my favourite characters but it does make Harry a lot more dimwitted than he actually is in the books.

It's not just Hermione though. Alan Rickman plays Snape perfectly a lot of the times but there are times I felt he was too soft. Michael Gambon was completely the opposite and was a bit too rough in his work as Dumbledore.

P.S I know it's a pet peeves thread but one thing I did love about DH2 was the scene between Harry and Helena Ravenclaw. Really intense from the actress who played her.

Sponsored Links