Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Alfred Hitchcock Movies (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=113298)

halfbreedlover October 24th, 2007 9:17 pm

Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Which ones have you seen? Which ones would you recommend? Any interesting trivia?

To answer my own questions:

1.) Murder, Dial "M" For Murder, North by Northwest, Psycho, Rebecca, The Lady Vanishes, To Catch a Thief, The Wrong Man and Rear Window

2.) I would recommend Psycho, Murder!, and Rear Window. I think close seconds would be The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, The Wrong Man and North by Northwest.

3.) In his later movies, Hitchcock always made a point of appearing very briefly in a movie, often as an extra.

Desraelda October 25th, 2007 2:54 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Out of those you listed, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder are my two favorites. I just watched "Dial" last week.

Emma October 25th, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
I love Hitch....I remember the Hitchcock TV program....I look for it on the retro chanels... I do think that my favorite Hitchcock is OG forget the name...the one where they are in the boat....and he in on the newspaper....what is the name?????

gertiekeddle October 26th, 2007 9:19 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Ah... the suspense! :lol:

Which ones have you seen?
All I think.

Which ones would you recommend?
I love Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Rear Window and think these are got recommendations for a start as well. Also The Birds.

Any interesting trivia?
Many, but the one I love most (but also have posted already in classical movies) is a technical information about the movie Rope, which was filmed in one scene only. Just due to film reels not being long enough back almost 70 years ago Hitchcock had to find a way to hide the changing of the reels. So you see for instance the camera moving forward a dark bag, then the film reel was changed (short cut, but invisible for the viewer), then the same scene was continued. Brilliant!

Wright1771 October 26th, 2007 9:41 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
My favourite has always been 'Rear Window'......they were all good, especially the music. Bernard Herman, fantastic!

Bonta Kun October 26th, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
I would probably go for Rear Window as my favourite too, along with Psycho.

As a heads up to any UK members who are interested in Hitchcock HMV are selling an excellent box set at £25 for 14 films! It doesn't have all of them but it has a great selection including Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Rear Window, Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Frenzy and a few more. They're the slimline cases too so it doesn't take up a lot of space, I bought it myself and was really happy with it- it usually costs about £90 I think (I don't work for them, I just like a bargain!)

mac_attack October 26th, 2007 7:31 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Trivia: Hitchcock shot Psycho in black and white because he thought it would be too gory in color. The blood in the shower scene was chocolate syrup. And contrary to popular belief, Hitchcock did not surprise the woman in the shower with ice-cold water to get a realistic scream. ;) Psycho was the first American film to show a toilet flushing onscreen. The shower scene took 7 days to shoot.

ParanoidAndroid October 29th, 2007 1:26 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Vertigo is the best movie ever made.

I also really like Rebecca, Notorious, Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, North by Northwest and Psycho.

halfbreedlover October 29th, 2007 4:00 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desraelda (Post 4823735)
Out of those you listed, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder are my two favorites. I just watched "Dial" last week.

IMDB's list is a bit more comprehensive than mine. ;) That's where I drew mine from.

Desraelda October 29th, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by halfbreedlover (Post 4827667)
IMDB's list is a bit more comprehensive than mine. ;) That's where I drew mine from.

Thanks, I read through the list. I have to add Strangers on a Train to my list. My favorite scene is the old man crawling under the Merry Go Round to hit the breaks. The first time I saw it, the scene could have gone either way. He wasn't a major character, after all. But I still hold my breath every time I watch that bit.

The only trivia I can think of is that in Rebecca, the second wife's name was never mentioned. I can't remember if that's the way it was in the book, but I doubt it.

Wizard_Pupil October 29th, 2007 5:38 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
My favorite Hitchcock movie is definitely Psycho!

I have seen
Birds (I love it too)
The man who knew too much (This one I love it too, one of my favs)
Vertigo
The rear window

I think that´s the ones, i dont remember now another

ParanoidAndroid October 31st, 2007 10:21 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

The only trivia I can think of is that in Rebecca, the second wife's name was never mentioned. I can't remember if that's the way it was in the book, but I doubt it.
It is that way in the book. She is refered to as "I" the entire time. There is a line of dialogue that says it is an unusual name, but no mention of it.

MmeBergerac November 20th, 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
I highly reccomend the first Hitch movie I watched: Rebecca. It's so oppressing, Joan Fontaine looks so frail and shy, Lawrence Olivier is so cute, and Mrs Danvers so scary... One of his best movies.

Trivia for Rebecca (spoiler): Hitchcock changed a couple of things from the book:
1) Rebecca had had an affair with Maxim's sister's husband.
2) In the book, Maxim killed Rebecca: she knew she was dying and provoked him till he shot her (what, for me, is a twisted way of suiciding).

I learned this because I had to read the book for an English exam; a couple of weeks before it I watched the movie for the first time and noticed the changes. And later, in the exam, they asked precisely about those things that were different! Most of people had just watched the film...

My other favourite Hitch movie: Vertigo. It provoked me a crush for James Stewart that has not faded away yet. He's great also in Rear Window and The Rope (actually, he's great almost in every role he played), but here he's just superb: tender, troubled, obsessed, everything at the time. And seeing her, I don't wonder he falls for Kim Novak...

Rhys135 November 20th, 2007 8:11 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
I've seen quite a few, my first being The Birds when I was around eleven years old.

My favourite's include Psycho, The 39 Steps, North By Northwest, Rear Window, Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much. All have great storyline's, great twist's,beautiful acting, fantastic set-piece's and keep your attention throughout.

I recently purchased To Catch A Thief, but found it very boring. Defintley the worst film by this brilliant director.

Desraelda November 21st, 2007 1:10 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 4847235)
Trivia for Rebecca (spoiler): Hitchcock changed a couple of things from the book:
1) Rebecca had had an affair with Maxim's sister's husband.
2) In the book, Maxim killed Rebecca: she knew she was dying and provoked him till he shot her (what, for me, is a twisted way of suiciding).

I remembered that from the book, but I thought it was hinted in the movie that Maxim actually shot Rebecca. Wasn't that in a flashback or am I confusing the book and the movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it.

MmeBergerac November 21st, 2007 8:52 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desraelda (Post 4847537)
I remembered that from the book, but I thought it was hinted in the movie that Maxim actually shot Rebecca. Wasn't that in a flashback or am I confusing the book and the movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it.

No, it wasn't. In the movie, Maxim tells his wife that Rebecca told him he was going to have a baby (and he wasn't the father), and that she didn't stop laughing; then she tripped, fell and hit her head against the boat behind her, or so. It's true that Maxim says something like I think she wanted me to kill her or I wanted to kill her. I don't remember exactly just now, but of the change, I'm sure. Someone (Hitchcock, or the producer, I don't remember) thought people wouldn't like the movie if the main character was actually a killer.

Liselle November 21st, 2007 4:13 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Great idea for a thread :tu:

While I'm not so keen on thrillers or horrors in general due to an over active imagination, I very much like the style of all Hitchcock's movies. They're a great refreshing look at how good movies and films should be made where the focus is on the actors and their actions, interactions and reactions instead of special effects.

I'm a very big fan of Rebecca and Rear Window. Two wonderful films that I would recommend highly.

Desraelda November 22nd, 2007 12:55 am

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 4847745)
No, it wasn't. In the movie, Maxim tells his wife that Rebecca told him he was going to have a baby (and he wasn't the father), and that she didn't stop laughing; then she tripped, fell and hit her head against the boat behind her, or so. It's true that Maxim says something like I think she wanted me to kill her or I wanted to kill her. I don't remember exactly just now, but of the change, I'm sure. Someone (Hitchcock, or the producer, I don't remember) thought people wouldn't like the movie if the main character was actually a killer.

Thanks. I can't believe how long it's been since I've seen Rebecca.

Pegasus November 23rd, 2007 9:51 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
I like Wait Until Dark, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much.
Has anyone seen The Trouble With Harry? I'd imagine it's much less well known, but it's a lot of fun. Not really typical Hitchcock, though.

Desraelda November 23rd, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 4849576)
I like Wait Until Dark, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much.
Has anyone seen The Trouble With Harry? I'd imagine it's much less well known, but it's a lot of fun. Not really typical Hitchcock, though.

My daughter and I were talking about Psycho this morning, and I brought up this thread. She said not too many people know that The Trouble With Harry is one of Hitchcock's. So you, me and her are among the few. And probably most people on this thread. :tu:

Yes, it's a lot of fun. That's the best way to describe it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.