Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Catching Fire (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=130778)

phoenix88 December 15th, 2011 9:18 pm

Catching Fire

I guess lionsgate is really confident that hunger games is going to be a huge hit since they have already picked a release date for catching fire. Gary Ross is set to direct again and they are looking at oscar winning screenwriter Simon Beaufoy (slumdog millionaire) to pen the script. It is set for release Nov 22, 2013. I guess with no more HP or twilight sequels, that weekend now is prime for the HG franchise.

The first book was my favorite, but the second was pretty compelling as well.

http://www.deadline.com/tag/catching-fire/
http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/hu...ed-673633.html

magic_is_might December 15th, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Catching Fire

Awesome. The first book was also my favorite, so I'm looking forward to the first movie the most, of course.

But I'll definitely see the rest of the trilogy.

phoenix88 December 15th, 2011 10:57 pm

I am impressed that they seem to be going for critically acclaimed talent (i.e. jennifer lawrence, the slumdog millionaire screenwriter, etc.) I wonder if they are going for oscars on this one unlike HP and twilight. I think the story is compelling enough that there is actually potential for that.

xhanax315 December 22nd, 2011 5:45 am

Uh wait...the first one isn't even out yet. :yuhup:

phoenix88 December 22nd, 2011 5:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 5952118)
Uh wait...the first one isn't even out yet. :yuhup:

I know. I guess lionsgate is just really confident they have a sure fire hit on their hands.

HersheyLipGloss December 25th, 2011 4:48 am

I am extremely exited about them all. I am worried about all the movie ratings though. I am not quite old enough to see the movies if they are going to be rated above pg 13.

gelowo93 January 20th, 2012 10:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HersheyLipGloss (Post 5953278)
I am extremely exited about them all. I am worried about all the movie ratings though. I am not quite old enough to see the movies if they are going to be rated above pg 13.

I can't see the films having a rating above pg-13, the books are YA after all so the film makers won't want to cut off a part of the fanbase.

I'm very surprised that they've already confirmed CF, but I suppose already having a lot of eager fans and the HG trailer being well received made them confident that people will watch the film and want to watch the sequels.

AccioHP April 11th, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Catching Fire (2013)

So it's been confirmed that Gary Ross won't be directing CF. Any thoughts?

cgold April 12th, 2012 3:41 am

He did a good job but I didn't get the impression that he was irreplaceable. I'm sure another director can do a better job. It's just them finding that director. I'm not sure who they'll get with this type of timeline.

DeliciousMoon April 12th, 2012 5:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgold (Post 6001710)
He did a good job but I didn't get the impression that he was irreplaceable. I'm sure another director can do a better job. It's just them finding that director. I'm not sure who they'll get with this type of timeline.

I agree with this. Also a new director might mean less shaky cam. :p

I just hope that the trilogy will keep a similar look, unlike the harry potter films where the different directors just had completely different visions.

I am excited for the casting of Finnick.

LilyDreamsOn April 12th, 2012 6:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6001736)

Haha, that was my thought. I wasn't a fan of the shaky cam. So long as the next director takes the story as seriously as Gary Ross did, I'll be excited to see what he/she has in store.

Quote:

Mhm, and Johanna. They were two of my favourite characters.

They did such a good job casting the first film that for once I'm not actually worried about who they'll cast for the rest of the trilogy.

StaceysChain April 12th, 2012 9:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccioHP (Post 6001548)
So it's been confirmed that Gary Ross won't be directing CF. Any thoughts?

I'm not really bothered he's gone to be honest. I think he did a very good job with The Hunger Games but I've never really been impressed with any of his other work. I'm hoping Alfonso Cuaron will take over - I hoped he would be the one to direct Hunger Games before Ross was decided. It's slightly ironic since I was never very fond of the visual style he used for Prisoner of Azkaban, although he did a brilliant job adapting it's story. :p

cgold April 12th, 2012 11:42 pm

LA Times
Directors'Catching Fire' director: Lionsgate eyeing Cronenberg, Innaritu, Cuaron

The master list is seven or eight names long, all men, and all have some significant credits to their name. Lionsgate is basically hoping to re-create the "Harry Potter" moment when Warner Bros. brought Alfonso Cuaron to direct the third film in the series. (Chris Columbus left after helming the first two.) Cuaron was a creative choice who excited critics, journalists and author J.K. Rowling, who all were interested in what the director of "Y Tu Mama Tambien" would do with the series.

In fact, Cuaron is in the mix for "Catching Fire," along with David Cronenberg and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, among others. All have been working in the industry for decades and trend more toward darker, indie fare than commercial hits.
Cronenberg wouldn't do this but I absolutely loved what Cuaron did with the Prisoner of Azkaban so I would say yes to him./

DeliciousMoon April 13th, 2012 2:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaceysChain (Post 6001859)
I'm hoping Alfonso Cuaron will take over - I hoped he would be the one to direct Hunger Games before Ross was decided. It's slightly ironic since I was never very fond of the visual style he used for Prisoner of Azkaban, although he did a brilliant job adapting it's story. :p

Please no.. :p The first Hunger Games was really close to the book, and I'd prefer that they did that for the second one as well.

I can't wait to see the designs for the arena in this one. That was my favourite part of the book by far and it has the potential to look amazing visually!

cgold April 18th, 2012 3:50 pm

Even more director speculation:

Indiewire
Catching Fire director speculationSources close to the project tell The Playlist that "Moneyball" helmer Bennet Miller and "I Am Legend" director Francis Lawrence are also in contention for the gig. Miller is coming off the very strong baseball drama (another project he picked up in flux when Steven Soderbergh's version was axed at the last minute) which journeyed all the way to the Oscars with six nominations including Best Picture. There's no doubt he's got a handle on drama and emotional tone, and full-on action fare would be a new dynamic, but the filmmaker has proven himself extremely adaptable given his documentary beginnings. There is also the question of "Foxcatcher," the true crime tale he's been trying to make ever since he finished "Capote." Mark Ruffalo recently joined the film that is eyeing a fall shoot, but would Miller be willing to put it on the backburner again? Could there be other factors at play pushing it back? These questions will need answering if Miller were to move forward here.

Meanwhile, Lawrence is the more obvious fit here. The former music video director and filmmaker knows action and effects down cold, and can also handle the dramatic beats the story would need, evidenced by "Water For Elephants." And perhaps more importantly, his schedule is free and he could jump into this right away and get cracking on firming up the Simon Beaufoy-penned script (which we hear needs work) and getting into pre-production mode for the film that could be lensing as early as August.

Asphodel79 April 20th, 2012 3:49 am

Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, Water for Elephants) has been tapped as director for Catching Fire. You can read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fran...catching-fire/. I am not entirely sure how I feel about this. It will be interesting to see who is cast for roles such as Johanna, Finnick and Plutarch.

lcbaseball22 April 20th, 2012 10:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6004778)
Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, Water for Elephants) has been tapped as director for Catching Fire. You can read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fran...catching-fire/. I am not entirely sure how I feel about this. It will be interesting to see who is cast for roles such as Johanna, Finnick and Plutarch.

I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films. I'm not however too thrilled with what I read on RopesofSilicon about the plot of the sequel, which to me sounds very contrived :whistle:

Quote:

The second book in Collins's trilogy centers on a special edition of the Hunger Games, which takes place every quarter-century as tributes are "reaped" from the victors of past games. Considering the number of winners from lead character Katniss Everdeen's (Jennifer Lawrence) District 12, I'm sure you can put the rest together.
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/francis...catching-fire/

I won't judge further until I've read it, but my impression was the sequels are more about Katniss leading an uprising then the Games...

Asphodel79 April 21st, 2012 12:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 6004955)
I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films. I'm not however too thrilled with what I read on RopesofSilicon about the plot of the sequel, which to me sounds very contrived :whistle:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/francis...catching-fire/

I won't judge further until I've read it, but my impression was the sequels are more about Katniss leading an uprising then the Games...

Definitely read Catching Fire. You will see how the Games in that book lead to the uprising. I don't want to say too much though as I don't want to spoil it for you.

And I am going to remain optimistic about the director. I think Catching Fire is my favorite of the three (though I love them all). Hopefully, he will do it justice. If nothing else, the special effects should be decent. :)

lcbaseball22 April 21st, 2012 1:12 am

Ok. Yeah I have heard that the general consensus is the 2nd is the best and the 3rd the worst because people don't like how it wrapped up.

I think I might go watch I Am Legend in it's entirety now to get a better idea of how well Lawrence might fit. In addition to movies he has also directed music videos (David Fincher started out the same btw) so I think he has a strong sense of style. Hopefully less shaky cam! :lol:

A couple interesting articles-

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...3.photogallery

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/20/fr...-hunger-games/

DeliciousMoon April 21st, 2012 3:14 am

Quote:

I'd definitely recommend reading it. ;) It wasn't as good as the first imo, but still better than the third.

I think even the director from the first film said he would use less shaky cam the second time around, but I don't have a quote with me right now. Fingers crossed this is the case!

FurryDice May 10th, 2012 10:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6001736)

I just hope that the trilogy will keep a similar look, unlike the harry potter films where the different directors just had completely different visions.

I think the casting for Finnick and Johanna will be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how many people are completely against the casting decisions, because no matter who is cast, they won't be exactly as everyone imagined Finnick and Johanna.
:lol: The ages for the actors can be cast a bit wider than for Hunger Games - as long as they are still relatively young and athletic enough to credibly do well in the Quell. The other Victors will make for interesting casting as well - I wonder if they're going to go for character actors or cameo parts for these characters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6002027)
Please no.. :p The first Hunger Games was really close to the book, and I'd prefer that they did that for the second one as well.

:lol: I agree, I'm glad Cuaron isn't directing Catching Fire. I wouldn't like to see the characters flipped on their heads and the plotline gutted.

Quote:

I think it's a good choice. I Am Legend is great from what I've seen and I feel Water for Elephants was one of last year's most under-rated films.

I like the choice. I think, hopefully, he will keep to the spirit and storyline of the book and preserve the characters as they are.

Yoana May 11th, 2012 8:45 am

Apparently there's a fan effort to get Jesse Williams cast as Finnick.

10 Photos That Illustrate Why Jesse Williams Should Play Finnick Odair In “The Hunger Games” Sequels

I personally approve very much.

MsJPotter May 11th, 2012 9:45 am

Well the acid test will be how he looks in a golden fishnet.

Goddess_Clio May 11th, 2012 4:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsJPotter (Post 6010130)
Well the acid test will be how he looks in a golden fishnet.

:lol: :rotfl:

That's not how I pictured Finnick at all but I wouldn't mind him playing the part; he has beautiful eyes.

Finnick, for me, was almost a nothing character in the books. He played an important role and wasn't a throw away character in that he had nothing to do or no contribution to make to the plot but I felt like he was very flat, very one-note character and to be honest I just can't see what it is that fans love about him aside from the fact that he's supposed to be smokin' hot. :shrug: If anyone would like to enlighten me I'd be happy to hear your arguments in Finnick's favor.

Yoana May 11th, 2012 7:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6010152)
Finnick, for me, was almost a nothing character in the books. He played an important role and wasn't a throw away character in that he had nothing to do or no contribution to make to the plot but I felt like he was very flat, very one-note character and to be honest I just can't see what it is that fans love about him aside from the fact that he's supposed to be smokin' hot. :shrug: If anyone would like to enlighten me I'd be happy to hear your arguments in Finnick's favor.

I agree with everything you said here. Granted, I'm not yet finished with Mockingjay, but so far I basically have nothing to associate him with. But I could say the same thing for basically all the characters, sadly, except maybe Peeta. Maybe.

Liez May 13th, 2012 3:48 am

Is it weird that when I first read about Finnick in the books, that I pictured Cormac from the Half-Blood Prince film? Not overly hot (I'n not someone who fusses over boys really) but certainly had some sort of charm in his looks and manner.

Jesse Williams doesn't look right for the part for me.

DeliciousMoon May 13th, 2012 9:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liez (Post 6010506)
Is it weird that when I first read about Finnick in the books, that I pictured Cormac from the Half-Blood Prince film? Not overly hot (I'n not someone who fusses over boys really) but certainly had some sort of charm in his looks and manner.

I had trouble picturing Finnick from the books. I only remember him being described with tan skin, bronze hair, and green eyes. (Though a lot of artists depicted him with red hair and pale skin?!) And of course being really attractive and muscular. As far as book descriptions go Jesse Williams fits imo! I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose him.

StaceysChain May 14th, 2012 6:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6010659)
I had trouble picturing Finnick from the books. I only remember him being described with tan skin, bronze hair, and green eyes. (Though a lot of artists depicted him with red hair and pale skin?!) And of course being really attractive and muscular.

:whistle: Is it bad/weird that I always pictured Hayden Christensen as Finnick? I think he's very attractive and an ok actor - personally I'd think he'd be perfect as Finnick.

I'm one of the people who can't picture images when reading, so I usually just pick an actor based on the author's descriptions of characters. The only other character I can picture is Tom Wilkinson as Beetee:

AldeberanBlack May 15th, 2012 1:35 am

It's the best book IMO, so I'm sure it will make a great movie. The Tick Tock arena alone will make it worth watching. Especially the killer monkeys.

myosotis May 21st, 2012 12:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6010659)
As far as book descriptions go Jesse Williams fits imo! I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose him.

Yes physically he does fit the book description. One of my only (minor and easily fixed) problems with Jesse Williams is that, according to his biography, he's only 31. Finnick must be around 40. He won the Second Quarter Quell when he was about 16, IIRC. So when the Third Quarter Quell happens 25 years later, he'd be about 41 - and, that's my second problem, he has become very cynical, very jaded, very bitter, under the shallow playboy face he presents to the world.

I haven't seen Jesse Williams in anything before, so I don't know how good an actor he is, and whether he'd be able to convey all that, after having himself aged a bit by appropriate make-up. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

I can't wait to see who they end up casting as Finnick.

Asphodel79 May 21st, 2012 1:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by myosotis (Post 6012195)
Yes physically he does fit the book description. One of my only (minor and easily fixed) problems with Jesse Williams is that, according to his biography, he's only 31. Finnick must be around 40. He won the Second Quarter Quell when he was about 16, IIRC. So when the Third Quarter Quell happens 25 years later, he'd be about 41 - and, that's my second problem, he has become very cynical, very jaded, very bitter, under the shallow playboy face he presents to the world.

I haven't seen Jesse Williams in anything before, so I don't know how good an actor he is, and whether he'd be able to convey all that, after having himself aged a bit by appropriate make-up. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

I can't wait to see who they end up casting as Finnick.

Actually, Finnick is only 24. He won the 65th Hunger Games at the age of 14.

Haymitch is the one who won the 2nd Quarter Quell. :)

DeliciousMoon May 21st, 2012 2:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by myosotis (Post 6012195)

It was Haymitch who won the second quarter quell, not Finnick. Finnick won the 65th games, which would put him at around 24 years old at the time of Catching Fire.

Edit: Whoops, missed Asphodel79's post.

myosotis May 21st, 2012 4:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon (Post 6012240)
It was Haymitch who won the second quarter quell, not Finnick. Finnick won the 65th games, which would put him at around 24 years old at the time of Catching Fire.

Edit: Whoops, missed Asphodel79's post.

Oops! You're both right! My bad! I wasn't thinking and mixed up Haymitch and Finnick. How embarassing!! :blush:

I take back everything I said.

Yoana May 21st, 2012 7:52 am

Jesse Williams is a regular on Grey's Anatomy and in my (unprofessional) opinion, he has a wide emotional spectre and is especially good at being smoulderingly sexy.

AnotherD May 31st, 2012 7:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liez (Post 6010506)

I could totally see the actor who played Cormac as Finnick. (Why can I not remember his name?! :hmm:)

I've never seen Jesse Williams act, and he's not what I pictured when I imagine Finnick, but he does have amazing eyes (which do fit the description of the character). If he is a good actor, I wouldn't be disappointed. He is very good looking. As long as they have someone who can pull off a smoldering sensuality and yet still be charming and damaged (come Mockingjay)...I can get over someone not matching what I imagined. I feel the same way as Josh as Peeta--I kind of forgot that the character had blonde hair when reading because the whole time I imagined Josh as him (even before I knew he was cast)...I wish they had left Josh with his natural hair color because I think he looks kind of weird dyed blonde. But I'm sure people would have had a fit if that was the case. But acting-wise, Josh was all Peeta.

That all said, I am not-very-patiently-awaiting the casting decisions for Finnick and Johanna. One article I read last night said they wished for a time machine so a young Jude Law could be cast as Finnick. This is the picture they linked to. Young Jude Law could have worked! :rotfl:

Goddess_Clio May 31st, 2012 8:42 pm

Heard on the radio the other day that it was rumored that Robert Pattinson was being cast in Catching Fire and I thought he might get cast as Finnick if that happened. :scared:

Thank god it was only a rumor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherD (Post 6014533)
One article I read last night said they wished for a time machine so a young Jude Law could be cast as Finnick. This is the picture they linked to. Young Jude Law could have worked! :rotfl:

I'd take a young Jude Law for myself! :D

Asphodel79 May 31st, 2012 11:37 pm

According to multiple sources (EW, eonline, etc), the top three contenders for Finnick are allegedly Armie Hammer, Garrett Hedlund, and Taylor Kitsch. Today other sources are reporting that it's down the Hedlund and Kitsch, though Kitsch has stated he does not wish to play Finnick. Armie Hammer's schedule it pretty busy as well, so I don't have much faith in these rumours. The same articles seem to indicate that some unknowns are also being considered.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/30/th...sting-finnick/

Yoana June 1st, 2012 7:51 am

Of those three i like Garrett Hedlund the best, in terms of looks. I haven't seen any of them act.

RikuStark June 1st, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm hoping for Garrett or an unknown actor. I personally wouldn't mind Armie just based on his looks, but I haven't seen him in anything to base off of.

Asphodel79 June 6th, 2012 5:28 am

Apparently the casting shortlist rumours are not exactly true...

Nina Jacobson (producer) denies the claims that they have narrowed the field for Finnick.

Read more at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...e-finnick.html

Rich June 9th, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm curious to see who is cast as Finnick...this decision seems to be creating quite a hype in the news. I also wonder how well the script will come out. Didn't Collins write the script for the the first movie? Part of the reason I liked the Hunger Games movie is because it was very well written and followed the book pretty closely (more closely than films usually follow books, I'd say). Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Goddess_Clio June 9th, 2012 6:34 pm

Writing credits for the screenplay are given to Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins (the author) and Billy Ray (not Cyrus, just Billy Ray :lol:)

IMDB.com - Hunger Games Full Credits

FurryDice June 19th, 2012 5:48 pm

This is interesting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951264/fullcredits#cast

However, internet runours elsewhere suggest he is just in talks at the moment. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman would make a good Plutarch, though.

ccollinsmith June 19th, 2012 6:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurryDice (Post 6018746)
This is interesting:

However, internet runours elsewhere suggest he is just in talks at the moment. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman would make a good Plutarch, though.

Very interesting possibility there. I was thinking of someone larger. But Philip Seymour Hoffman can certainly act!

I just finished the book yesterday, and now I'm on Mockingjay, so I've definitely got a mental image of Plutarch in my mind at the moment. :) But I'd rather have an excellent actor than someone who conforms to my mental image. And I could definitely see Philip Seymour Hoffman do the scene with the watch.

Goddess_Clio June 20th, 2012 12:15 am

I had to google who Plutarch was to even remember the character but now that I have been reminded I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great choice. He can play cool and reserved, wild and crazy and every nuance in between.

:tu:

AldeberanBlack June 20th, 2012 6:45 am

Yeah he'd be a good choice.

ccollinsmith June 21st, 2012 6:23 pm

This is not an actual casting decision, but a comment on a couple of Moviefone's "fantasy casting" suggestions for Finnick and Beetee: http://hungergamesdwtc.net/2011/08/m...catching-fire/

Finnick: I think Finnick should be fairly easy to cast. The actor just needs to be a 20-something who is a fine physical specimen, who looks good in blonde hair, and who has a reasonable amount of acting range. But I would not want the part to go to Chris Hemsworth... Not because I dislike him but because his brother is already playing Gale, and the shape of their eyes is identical. In fact, I kept wondering during Gale's scenes in the first film where I'd seen those eyes before (the shape is quite distinctive). The trouble is that Finnick's eyes are such a part of his character description that he needs to have distinctive eyes of his own. He can't be looking like Gale wearing blue-green contact lenses. So I vote "no" for Chris Hemsworth.

Beetee: Michael Emerson would be an inspired casting decision. He is an outstanding ensemble player (and lead player) with experience playing this type of character. He can totally own the screen when he is called upon to do so, and he brings with him a large and enthusiastic fanbase. The trouble is that he could potentially run into shooting conflicts with Person of Interest (which ran 23 episodes in its first year). But if they could work it out around his "day job," he might be a perfect choice for this role.

Asphodel79 June 29th, 2012 2:52 am

There's some movement on the Johanna casting front. According to Deadline, Zoe Aggeliki and Jena Malone have auditioned and it seems Zoe is favored.

Read more at http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/hung...na-mason-role/.

Asphodel79 July 9th, 2012 7:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurryDice (Post 6018746)
This is interesting:

It's now official! Lionsgate released a statement today saying that Philip Seymour Hoffman has accepted the role. I think he's a great choice!

ccollinsmith July 9th, 2012 9:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6024037)
It's now official! Lionsgate released a statement today saying that Philip Seymour Hoffman has accepted the role. I think he's a great choice!

Excellent! I agree that he's a great choice. :agree:

Goddess_Clio July 9th, 2012 9:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6024073)
Excellent! I agree that he's a great choice. :agree:

Now what will it take for Michael Emerson to sign for Beetee? :D (He would be perfect casting)

Asphodel79 July 10th, 2012 12:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6024089)
Now what will it take for Michael Emerson to sign for Beetee? :D (He would be perfect casting)

I would love Michael Emerson as Beetee, but I wonder how tied up he is with Person of Interest. If there was a way to work around that schedule, he'd be absolutely perfect!

AnotherD July 10th, 2012 4:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6024037)

I am *so* thrilled with this news! I think he is going to be perfect as Plutarch. :clap:

For whatever reason, I imagined Beetee as a small framed, nerdy, mid-50s-ish african american. Wiry, graying hair, wire glasses etc. I'm not sure what his actual physical description even was in the book (a friend has my copy) and I'm not sure his race is even described? I'm sure whoever they cast for that character will be just right, regardless. They've done a good job with casting so far.

ccollinsmith July 10th, 2012 7:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6024089)

:lol: I said the same thing up the page. I would soooooooo love for Michael Emerson to play Beetee, though they'd have to find a way to work it around Person of Interest. I don't know if they're even considering him for the role... but they should be!

BTW I thought of Beetee as African-American too! But then I heard the Emerson fantasy casting and it just sounded so perfect.

ETA: Another advantage to casting Emerson is that he is a real team player and would gladly make the rounds of all the talk shows. He is extremely articulate and is already a popular guest.

I know it's probably just fantasy casting, but I think he would be a great asset.

AnotherD July 10th, 2012 1:06 pm

I had to look up Emerson, and although I'm not familiar with his acting, he certainly looks the part of Beetee!

Asphodel79 July 11th, 2012 12:45 am

I am hoping we will hear more casting news this week or next. I am anxious to find out if Jena Malone accepted the role of Johanna. I think everyone wants to know who is playing Finnick.

In somewhat related news, the premiere dates for Mockingjay 1 & 2 have been set.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/hung...ber-2014-2015/

AnotherD July 11th, 2012 6:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6024462)
I am hoping we will hear more casting news this week or next. I am anxious to find out if Jena Malone accepted the role of Johanna. I think everyone wants to know who is playing Finnick.

In somewhat related news, the premiere dates for Mockingjay 1 & 2 have been set.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/hung...ber-2014-2015/

I have a feeling we'll know by the end of the week. Monday they confirmed PSH for Plutarch, yesterday we got news about Mockingjay, I bet we get more news as the week goes on.

Asphodel79 July 17th, 2012 6:15 pm

Casting update - Lionsgate has confirmed that Amanda Plummer (daughter of Christopher Plummer) will be playing Wiress. I think she's a good choice for the role.

I still wish they would confirm or deny Jena Malone's casting.

HMN July 17th, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm just discovering that they're casting for Catching Fire. So exciting. I like how they're doing the Facebook page again and adding pics as casting is announced:
https://www.facebook.com/thehungerga...32927770063734

I love PSH, but I don't picture him as Plutarch. I pictured Plutarch as someone who is calculated and cunning (PSH can easily pull that off) but with more of a nervous almost giddy energy. I don't think Hoffman will play him that way at all. The level of excitement that Plutarch has in CF is noticeable, it's all a big game to him, and it shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6019189)
Finnick: I think Finnick should be fairly easy to cast. The actor just needs to be a 20-something who is a fine physical specimen, who looks good in blonde hair, and who has a reasonable amount of acting range.

I pictured Finnick as more of an early 30's. I feel like he has to look older than Katniss to be credible in the part. But I agree, he has to be a 'fine physical specimen' as you say. I picture him sort of as a smart surfer.

Asphodel79 July 17th, 2012 8:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMN (Post 6026292)
I pictured Finnick as more of an early 30's. I feel like he has to look older than Katniss to be credible in the part. But I agree, he has to be a 'fine physical specimen' as you say. I picture him sort of as a smart surfer.

While Finnick is only 24 in the books, I could see them casting someone a little older. He needs to look older than Katniss for sure...

Edited to update - According to the latest rumours, Sam Claflin is up for the role of Finnick, Melissa Leo is allegedly in the running for Mags, and Tony Shalhoub may be a contender for Beetee. Any thoughts?

RikuStark July 18th, 2012 2:15 am

From what I've seen of Sam Claflin in films..I love him. :lol: I've seen him in Pirates and in Snow White, and there wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's good. I think he looks the part well enough. I'll be very happy if he's Finnick.

Asphodel79 July 18th, 2012 3:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6026391)
From what I've seen of Sam Claflin in films..I love him. :lol: I've seen him in Pirates and in Snow White, and there wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's good. I think he looks the part well enough. I'll be very happy if he's Finnick.

I agree. While he was not one of my top picks for Finnick, I will not be disappointed if he does indeed land the role.

I am also super excited about the prospect of Tony Shalhoub as Beetee. He's always been one of my top picks for that role.

EDITED TO UPDATE - According to EW, Melissa Leo is no longer a contender for the role of Mags.

Yoana July 18th, 2012 9:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6026407)
I am also super excited about the prospect of Tony Shalhoub as Beetee. He's always been one of my top picks for that role.

Me too - I love him! I can't wait to see what he does with Beetee.

FurryDice July 18th, 2012 1:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6026305)
While Finnick is only 24 in the books, I could see them casting someone a little older. He needs to look older than Katniss for sure...

I can see that happening. Finnick and Johanna are both in their twenties in the books. However, I think the casting directors can be a bit more flexible with the Victor's ages - Finnick and Johanna don't need to be the same ages as they are in the books - they just need to have been Victors long enough to have suffered and be jaded by it, and not too long. So, anywhere twenties to thirties would work for Finnick and Johanna, I think.

Quote:

Edited to update - According to the latest rumours, Sam Claflin is up for the role of Finnick, Melissa Leo is allegedly in the running for Mags, and Tony Shalhoub may be a contender for Beetee. Any thoughts?
Interesting picks, I would be happy with any of those actors in those roles.

AnotherD July 18th, 2012 7:00 pm

Amanda Plummer is a great choice for Wiress! She can do that skittish, nervous, spacy thing very well. Awesome!

As for this guy they are considering for Finnick, I am not familiar with him, but he looks good--just the right combo of handsome without being too pretty, old enough to be believable and not look the same age as Jennifer Lawrence. I could be happy with this choice just on looks alone, but they've done a great job casting so if he's the guy, there must be a reason they chose him! I can totally imagine him in that scene where Katniss meets him for the first time and he's chewing a sugar cube in her ear.

Kudos to Lionsgate for announcing the casting in a way that builds excitement! (even though I want to know NOW about the rest of the casting :rotfl:)

As for Tony Shalhoub, I think he'll make a great Beetee. I'm most familiar with him from the TV show, Wings--I haven't followed him much since he was on that show.

ccollinsmith July 18th, 2012 11:40 pm

Michael Emerson was probably always a pipe dream for Beetee. :sigh:

I think Tony Shalhoub would be a good choice. He would bring a different kind of nerdy quirkiness to the role. I can see it.

Given how many 20-something actors play teenagers, I would that agree that Finnick and Johanna do not have to be played by actors in their 20s. The film wouldn't even necessarily have to change the characters' ages if the actors were in their early 30s.

Yoana July 19th, 2012 8:06 am

Is Melissa Leo still in the running for Mags? She's 30 years too young to play her. I'd be really disappointed if they cast her. Nothing against Leo herself, but Mags is supposed to be a really old lady, barely walking, not a middle-aged one.

Asphodel79 July 19th, 2012 2:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 6026768)
Is Melissa Leo still in the running for Mags? She's 30 years too young to play her. I'd be really disappointed if they cast her. Nothing against Leo herself, but Mags is supposed to be a really old lady, barely walking, not a middle-aged one.

No, she has been taken out of the running (according to EW).

canismajoris July 19th, 2012 3:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6026658)
Michael Emerson was probably always a pipe dream for Beetee. :sigh:

I think Tony Shalhoub would be a good choice. He would bring a different kind of nerdy quirkiness to the role. I can see it.

If the filmmakers had a time machine and cast according to my imagination, they'd pick Bob Newhart circa 1990.

ccollinsmith July 19th, 2012 4:48 pm

Actors have worked in aging makeup forever, so I don't think the age of the actress playing Mags is an issue - so long as Mags remains old and is played old convincingly. It will be interesting to see how they cast this one.

Asphodel79 July 19th, 2012 5:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6026812)
Actors have worked in aging makeup forever, so I don't think the age of the actress playing Mags is an issue - so long as Mags remains old and is played old convincingly. It will be interesting to see how they cast this one.

I agree. Age is not so much of a factor here because makeup can be used to achieve the right look. Now, I am not saying cast some 20 year old, but perhaps someone in their late 50s-60s would work. They need someone who is still fit enough to handle the physical aspects of this role, though I do admit it's not quite as physically demanding as the some of the other roles.

I personally think Phyllis Somerville would be an interesting choice. There were also rumours of Cicely Tyson being considered. I don't know if that is still a possibility, but I'd like that too. :)

Coldwindblows July 19th, 2012 7:24 pm

Lots of people saying Sam Claflin took the part as Finnick. Wiki says: "He is set to play Finnick Odair in the The Hunger Games: Catching Fire".
Michael Emerson'd be great but since Greg Proops didn't get the gig for Caesar Flickerman, I have changed my mind and say he should play Beetee. Here's a picture of him---> CLICK ON ME.

Either way, I agree that Philip Seymour Hoffman will be great as Plutarch. Ever since Capote, I've been a fan. It'll be great to see him in HG. In terms of Shaloub, yes, I'd be OK with it.

Melissa Leo can be made to look older to play Mags, as can anyone.

Yoana July 20th, 2012 8:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6026812)

I've always found aging make-up obvious and very distracting. I don't see why it's necessary when there are actors who are the right age to choose from.

ccollinsmith July 21st, 2012 4:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 6027011)
I've always found aging make-up obvious and very distracting. I don't see why it's necessary when there are actors who are the right age to choose from.

There are not many actors the right age... and fewer still who are in good physical shape. Aging makeup done well can be done seamlessly. But we're talking here about aging a 55-69 year old, not a 20-30 year old. I don't find it a big deal.

Asphodel79 July 23rd, 2012 6:31 pm

It's official - Jena Malone will be playing Johanna Mason in Catching Fire.

AnotherD July 24th, 2012 2:09 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6027947)
It's official - Jena Malone will be playing Johanna Mason in Catching Fire.

I'm pleased with that. I think she's got the right look (didn't want her to be too pretty--not that Jena isn't an attractive girl). I think she's going to be great. Each casting announcement has me more and more excited! I wonder if Kristen Bell is bummed. I wonder if she even auditioned? I know she wanted the part.

If they don't announce it tomorrow, they'll probably announce Finnick next week.

canismajoris July 24th, 2012 6:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 6027011)

Agreed. Although, I guess, much of the time (indeed, most of the time) it's primarily because I recognize the actor in the makeup and that's what distracts me: An actor being aged to play an older version of the same character. So I suspect that an actor playing an older character and not appearing as his/her actual age might appear less absurd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6027256)
There are not many actors the right age... and fewer still who are in good physical shape. Aging makeup done well can be done seamlessly. But we're talking here about aging a 55-69 year old, not a 20-30 year old. I don't find it a big deal.

We are talking about Mags, right? Maybe it's just me, but should good physical shape really be a requirement for that role?

HMN July 24th, 2012 5:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canismajoris (Post 6028084)
We are talking about Mags, right? Maybe it's just me, but should good physical shape really be a requirement for that role?

I never saw her as in good physical shape. She has to be ambulatory, for sure. Able to train somewhat, but she goes into the games voluntarily and knows she's not making it out.

canismajoris July 25th, 2012 5:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMN (Post 6028148)
I never saw her as in good physical shape. She has to be ambulatory, for sure. Able to train somewhat, but she goes into the games voluntarily and knows she's not making it out.

That's my impression as well. Obviously none of us has read a screenplay, but I'm not 100% convinced Mags even really needs to have much screen time, let alone scenes running and jumping around in the jungle.

AnotherD August 1st, 2012 4:34 pm

So was Tony Shalhoub just a rumor? I noticed on the
Catching Fire Casting Page on Facebook that the role for Beetee isn't filled in. I thought he was announced with Amanda Plummer?

I was listening to the most recent Hunger Games chat from Hypable the other day and one of them mentioned Cloris Leachman for Mags as their fan cast. I think she would be great as her.

Asphodel79 August 2nd, 2012 6:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherD (Post 6029814)
So was Tony Shalhoub just a rumor? I noticed on the
Catching Fire Casting Page on Facebook that the role for Beetee isn't filled in. I thought he was announced with Amanda Plummer?

I was listening to the most recent Hunger Games chat from Hypable the other day and one of them mentioned Cloris Leachman for Mags as their fan cast. I think she would be great as her.

Yes, the Tony Shahloub thing is just a rumour as of now. Lionsgate has not confirmed it.

Mags is officially cast. Lynn Cohen will be playing the role. It was just announced today. :)

AnotherD August 2nd, 2012 8:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6029985)
Yes, the Tony Shahloub thing is just a rumour as of now. Lionsgate has not confirmed it.

Mags is officially cast. Lynn Cohen will be playing the role. It was just announced today. :)

Just saw the news. Good choice. Each time I think they can't cast a better choice for a role, they do. Each one I'm like "YES!"

Asphodel79 August 2nd, 2012 8:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherD (Post 6029995)
Just saw the news. Good choice. Each time I think they can't cast a better choice for a role, they do. Each one I'm like "YES!"

I feel the same way. They are doing a brilliant job casting this film.

captain Sparrow August 6th, 2012 7:36 pm

I can't wait to see the movie, the cast sounds soo good right now...those they have already chosen are great castings, I haven't been disappointed yet, and hopefully won't be ;)

Asphodel79 August 8th, 2012 12:16 am

Update - Meta Golding will be playing Enobaria.

Another great casting decision!

EDITED TO ADD - Bruno Gunn was just cast as Brutus. :)

AnotherD August 8th, 2012 6:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6031000)
Update - Meta Golding will be playing Enobaria.

Another great casting decision!

She's going to look great. Can't say I'm familiar with her acting, but looks-wise she's going to look fierce!

StarsAndShadows August 8th, 2012 8:34 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and this thread is so long I can't take the time to go through it all. Sorry if the answer's already there, but what I'd like to know is, have they decided yet who will play Finnick Odair? He's a fascinating character and I hope whichever actor they choose does him justice, both in looks, charm and acting. :)

Asphodel79 August 8th, 2012 8:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6031187)
Hello, I'm new here, and this thread is so long I can't take the time to go through it all. Sorry if the answer's already there, but what I'd like to know is, have they decided yet who will play Finnick Odair? He's a fascinating character and I hope whichever actor they choose does him justice, both in looks, charm and acting. :)

He has not been officially announced yet, though rumour has it Sam Claflin got the role.

gelowo93 August 9th, 2012 9:02 pm

I've really not been keeping track of the casting for this, mainly because I can't remember who half the characters are, but Alan Ritchson has been cast as Gloss http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93458

I'm glad to hear that Finnick hasn't been announced yet, I thought I'd missed it.

Asphodel79 August 10th, 2012 7:27 pm

E. Roger Mitchell will be playing the role of Chaff.

Maria Howell has been cast as Seeder.

ETA - Stephanie Leigh Schlund has been cast as Cashmere.

catchingfirecasting.com

AnotherD August 14th, 2012 9:43 pm

So, what do you guys think will be different in the movie from the book? We already know Peeta won't have an artificial leg, but I wonder if they'll work a limp in there since it does play a part in why they separate in the arena (unless they just make it out that he's too slow/noisy to go with Katniss?)

It sounds weird to say this, but I'm really looking forward to the part where Gale is whipped and the subsequent care he receives from Katniss' mom. The other scene I'm looking forward to (aside from the entire movie, really :lol:) is the part where Katniss comes back from the woods to find the fence electrified.

Amazing that we have to wait a year for this to come out! I'm looking forward to the trailer next summer (I'm guessing at the MTV movie awards?)

StarsAndShadows August 19th, 2012 12:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherD (Post 6032405)
So, what do you guys think will be different in the movie from the book? We already know Peeta won't have an artificial leg, but I wonder if they'll work a limp in there since it does play a part in why they separate in the arena (unless they just make it out that he's too slow/noisy to go with Katniss?)

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

Quote:

It sounds weird to say this, but I'm really looking forward to the part where Gale is whipped and the subsequent care he receives from Katniss' mom. The other scene I'm looking forward to (aside from the entire movie, really :lol:) is the part where Katniss comes back from the woods to find the fence electrified.
I'm not looking forward to the whipping scene, but I am to the one when Katniss comes back from the woods, finds the fence electrified, hurts herself getting in and still manages to pull wool over the PeaceKeeper's eyes as to where she's been and what she's been up to. That scene will be SO enjoyable! :lol:

Asphodel79 August 22nd, 2012 8:47 pm

It is now official - Sam Claflin is Finnick. :)

AnotherD August 23rd, 2012 5:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6034358)
It is now official - Sam Claflin is Finnick. :)

I don't know a thing about his acting, but he's attractive enough for me to pull off the looks. I gotta believe that the casting people think he can embody Finnick. I really can't wait for this movie to come out, and I cannot wait for a teaser trailer or set photos ore something!

Asphodel79 September 7th, 2012 7:15 pm

After a period of no casting news, Lionsgate has announced Jeffrey Wright as Beetee!

AnotherD September 9th, 2012 12:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphodel79 (Post 6037993)
After a period of no casting news, Lionsgate has announced Jeffrey Wright as Beetee!

Not super familiar with Jeffrey Wright, although I did see Casino Royale. I pictured someone skinnier, smaller--more frail looking? But I'm sure he'll be great.

I saw a blog post talking about the Catching Fire casting page on Facebook and how one of the to be announced castings appears to be a 'mystery' casting. As in, it doesn't list the character's name in the shadow photo. It never occurred to me that they might change the story a bit in order to introduce a character from Mockingjay (or perhaps someone who got cut from THG but will make an appearance in CF). The top guesses have been Coin, Madge and I forget who the third one was. Totally drawing a blank here. I'll come back and edit when I remember. LOL

Anyway, who do you think it might be, and what change to CF do you think they are going to make so that this character would be added/introduced?

Part of me thinks it is Madge, because of the part where Katniss finds out about the uprisings while at the Mayor's house. But I also think that scene can be done without the character of Madge.

phoenix88 September 15th, 2012 10:03 am

I guess filming has begun on catching fire in Atlanta. I can't wait to see Jennifer back as Katniss. The set pics look great. It looks like they are already in their wetsuit type tribute uniforms. I am still not sold in Sam as Finnick, but hopefully he can pull it off.

http://catchingfiremovie.org/353/jen...ing-in-atlanta

http://m.justjared.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&....d=10&DQ=&DS=9

AnotherD September 19th, 2012 1:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix88 (Post 6039766)
I guess filming has begun on catching fire in Atlanta. I can't wait to see Jennifer back as Katniss. The set pics look great. It looks like they are already in their wetsuit type tribute uniforms. I am still not sold in Sam as Finnick, but hopefully he can pull it off.

http://catchingfiremovie.org/353/jen...ing-in-atlanta

http://m.justjared.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&....d=10&DQ=&DS=9

I was wondering if those were the training uniforms, for when they are at the Capitol? You're right though, they do look like wet suit type material so it would make sense that it could be arena wear.

Asphodel79 September 19th, 2012 3:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherD (Post 6040634)
I was wondering if those were the training uniforms, for when they are at the Capitol? You're right though, they do look like wet suit type material so it would make sense that it could be arena wear.

I am thinking that they are the training uniforms. They are filming those scenes right now, and the arena shots will be done in Hawaii.

I like the look of them though.

Asphodel79 September 26th, 2012 7:10 pm

The Catching Fire casting page on facebook has been updated with all the tributes. Check it out at catchingfirecasting.com.