Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Wizengamot Administration Services (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   COS Forums: What's next? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=132161)

Rew April 7th, 2013 2:55 pm

COS Forums: What's next?

In the wake of Morgoth's announcement of this forum's closure later in the summer, I felt that it would be productive to start brainstorming where all of us are going to go to continue our tight-knit little community after this webspace is shut down. I have a couple ideas:

First, assuming there's not one already, I think there should be a COS Forums group on Facebook. It'll be a way for all of us to keep in touch with each other, add each other as friends, continue discussions, etc.

Of course, the thread system on Facebook is nowhere near as good as on an actual message board, which brings me to my next suggestion: Someone can set up one of those free-to-host forums (like ProBoards) to keep the actual forum alive, albeit in a different form. Those boards are not quite to the quality of what we have here on the current forums, but that downgrade would certainly be better than allowing the community to die altogether.

I would go ahead and start one or both of these up myself, but alas, my time here has been rather limited and I really only know a handful of people here (and those few I know aren't even on Facebook, to my knowledge). Would someone with a lot more connections here and charisma be willing to start one or both of these new community spaces? I am of course willing to help in whatever way I can.

And do people have other ideas for how we can keep going after this place is shut down?

(Also, I hope I posted this in the right section--if not, then mods please move this thread and accept my sincerest apologies.)

ArryGrotter April 8th, 2013 7:52 am

Re: COS Forums: What's next?

[staff edit]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rew (Post 6066898)
Of course, the thread system on Facebook is nowhere near as good as on an actual message board, which brings me to my next suggestion: Someone can set up one of those free-to-host forums (like ProBoards) to keep the actual forum alive, albeit in a different form. Those boards are not quite to the quality of what we have here on the current forums, but that downgrade would certainly be better than allowing the community to die altogether.

I personally have already started this, and have managed to already gain 20 members from CoS, with more promising to join once CoS permanently closes. Anyone is welcome to join. There are a few issues being sorted out at the moment though, and a lot of the subforums are currently empty (Waiting for people to start threads!)

You can find the forums here:
http://hogsmeade.ucoz.com/

Melaszka April 8th, 2013 12:01 pm

For reasons of personal safety (especially when it comes to our youngest members) and privacy, can we a bit careful about encouraging link-ups on social networking sites where you register under your real name or give out other RL private data, like e-mail addresses etc.? Please don't post direct links to Facebook groups etc here - don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading this.

Daggerstone April 8th, 2013 12:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rew (Post 6066898)
And do people have other ideas for how we can keep going after this place is shut down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastor (Post 6066053)
CoS itself once rose as a phoenix from the ashes of a failed forum. Maybe someone is able to breed a new phoenix from ours (even if we didn't fail, just waned away). I wish anyone who wants to try good luck!

Yes, they do. :relax:

Rew April 8th, 2013 2:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArryGrotter (Post 6067036)
[staff edit]

I personally have already started this, and have managed to already gain 20 members from CoS, with more promising to join once CoS permanently closes. Anyone is welcome to join. There are a few issues being sorted out at the moment though, and a lot of the subforums are currently empty (Waiting for people to start threads!)

You can find the forums here:
http://hogsmeade.ucoz.com/

Looks good, but do I really have to submit a personal photo just to register? (Also, there's this white square in the top corner of the page that I can't seem to get rid of.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melaszka (Post 6067054)
For reasons of personal safety (especially when it comes to our youngest members) and privacy, can we a bit careful about encouraging link-ups on social networking sites where you register under your real name or give out other RL private data, like e-mail addresses etc.? Please don't post direct links to Facebook groups etc here - don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading this.

Would it be alright if people arranged Facebook stuff via owls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggerstone (Post 6067069)
Yes, they do. :relax:

:rockon:

yorkiedoodle April 8th, 2013 2:58 pm

I haven't submitted a pic and i registered...

Rew April 8th, 2013 5:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle (Post 6067095)
I haven't submitted a pic and i registered...

It wouldn't let me. :(

Charlotte_Snape April 8th, 2013 6:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rew (Post 6067124)
It wouldn't let me. :(

Is it only for CoS Hogsmeaders ? :shrug:

ccollinsmith April 8th, 2013 8:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape (Post 6067136)
Is it only for CoS Hogsmeaders ? :shrug:

Arry's forum? No. It's for everyone.

@Rew: If you have a technical problem, you can owl Arry. He's one of the nicest people on CoS. I'm sure he'd be glad to help you.

ArryGrotter April 8th, 2013 10:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rew (Post 6067091)
Looks good, but do I really have to submit a personal photo just to register? (Also, there's this white square in the top corner of the page that I can't seem to get rid of.)

No, it is not required even though it says so. Registration is a bit quirky over there since I can't control it. You can find more infomation on the site.

And yes, any issues (I know there are a few...), please owl me, and I'll be happy to help :)

Pox Voldius April 9th, 2013 3:41 am

I just gave them a picture of a random student film set with no people in it -- but plenty of stage blood and a bear trap :D

Pox Voldius April 10th, 2013 3:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peeves (Post 6067255)
peeves approves

gives you a cauldron full of hot tar

Why, thank you, Peevesie!

*proceeds to use the cauldron of hot tar for redecorating the front lawn of her least favorite politician's house*

Midnightsfire April 11th, 2013 6:07 pm

If you ever get weary of Downing Street, (yes, we all know you're the one responsible for that latest incident), there's this little place across the pond in DC commonly referred to as the White House that could certainly use someone with your rather unique skillset.

If the White House were to look more like..oh..say a log cabin..well, it's just an idea.

LeviathanMammal April 12th, 2013 1:30 am

What would make a good name for the new forum?

cardinalguy April 12th, 2013 2:00 am

Given the number of topics that derail into discussions on Snape and the Marauders, we could call it "Prisoners of the Half-Blood Prince." :p

Midnightsfire April 12th, 2013 2:02 am

"Wishful Thinking?"

What?
That's not a good name?

arithmancer April 12th, 2013 2:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalguy (Post 6067630)
Given the number of topics that derail into discussions on Snape and the Marauders, we could call it "Prisoners of the Half-Blood Prince." :p

Where can I join???!!! :love:

_Hedwig_ April 18th, 2013 3:22 am

I LOVE the site! :D I shall join up once I'm on a proper computer and willing to help in any way I can. :)

BrightestWitch May 13th, 2013 5:17 am

I am not entirely comfortable with putting personal info on there. Is it okay if for the name I just put my username? Also, for the birthday I also am not entirely comfortable with releasing that online as well (date is fine but year is a bit more worrysome, as I know many people with my b-day just not the same year). Sorry for being such a downer, but I know many people who have gotten hacked and don't really want to join that club.

But besides that, the website looks great! :D

captain_mills May 13th, 2013 11:34 pm

Sucks that I met all the reqisites but never got an invite to hogsmeade...

:(