Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Tales of Beedle the Bard (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Which Tale of Beedle the Bard did You Like Most/Least? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=118876)

Alastor December 8th, 2008 3:22 pm

Which Tale of Beedle the Bard did You Like Most/Least?

At public request. :)

Lucybird December 8th, 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Which Tale of Beedle the Bard did You Like Most/Least?

I liked The fountain of fair fortune best, maybe because I think it's most like one of our own fairytales.

I liked Babitty Rabbitty the least. Not sure why, I just didn't see much substance in it I think, and I prefered the notes for it more than the actual story

xhanax315 December 8th, 2008 9:21 pm

Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump just didn't suit me. :shrug: I loved the Warlock's Hairy Heart and the Tale of the Three Brothers. :tu:

gertiekeddle December 8th, 2008 9:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucybird (Post 5198319)
I liked The fountain of fair fortune best, maybe because I think it's most like one of our own fairytales.

I liked Babitty Rabbitty the least. Not sure why, I just didn't see much substance in it I think, and I prefered the notes for it more than the actual story

Same here and also for the same reasons. Don't think there was any story I didn't like, though, but my preferences are rather clear. :)

JJFinch December 8th, 2008 9:34 pm

Fountain of Fair Fortune the most and Babbity Rabbity least (despite the amazing name).

GinnyIsGenius December 8th, 2008 10:48 pm

I still debating between The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart as my favorite. :hmm: They are both so good and yet so different, I can't seem to pick one.

My least favorite was Babbitty Rabbitty, though I even quite enjoyed it. I enjoyed the Gilderoy Lockhart-ness of the King and the Babbitty cackling over his foolishness. :elaugh: And to be fair, Jo had no idea she was going to be writing a story when she came up with this absurd title when writing DH. :lol: So, that's must have been a feat.

AurorHealer December 8th, 2008 10:53 pm

I enjoyed all of them but for the one I enjoyed the most... it's a toss up between The Tale of the Three Brothers & The Warlock's Hairy Heart.

Like most, I probably liked Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump the least. I thought it was a good story, but it didn't really stick with me as much as the others. I also really liked The Wizard and the Hopping Pot... not very many seem to have enjoyed that one though.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux December 8th, 2008 10:55 pm

hmm...I kind of liked Babbity Rabbit and the Cackling Stump. It wasn't my favorite, but it was an amusing story :p.

My favorites were Tale of Three Brothers and The Warlock's Hairy Heart

KlausBaudelaire December 8th, 2008 11:39 pm

I loved the Warlock's Hairy Heart.
I couldn't care less of the Hopping Pot, though.

jordmundt6 December 8th, 2008 11:52 pm

It was tough to take Babitty seriously. I probably still liked The Three Brothers best. The Fountain of Fair Fortune was good (and matches most closely to Muggle fairy tales--though I've read and seen films of muggle versions of The Three Brothers). The Warlock's Hairy Heart was well-done, but frankly I was a little surprised to see Poe elements mixed into CHILDREN'S tales. Albus' commentary was the best part, I think--particularly his scathing commentary on what was it, again? The Toadstool Tales? Is that what they called the Victorian reworking of the Bard's offerings?;)

I actually liked The Hopping Pot--it was as close as she'd wander to an Aesop's fable and it worked pretty well.

Jessica December 8th, 2008 11:52 pm

:lol: Apparently it's just me on Babbity.

Murzim December 9th, 2008 1:06 am

I can't vote yet. On my first read I liked The Wizard and the Hopping Pot least, on my second I liked it best.
So I'll wait and let the book sink in ;)

Voldemorts8thHorcrux December 9th, 2008 2:13 am

better than the score for the hopping pot :p

xhanax315 December 9th, 2008 2:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux (Post 5198401)
hmm...I kind of liked Babbity Rabbit and the Cackling Stump. It wasn't my favorite, but it was an amusing story :p.

My favorites were Tale of Three Brothers and The Warlock's Hairy Heart

Yes, it was amusing, but not my favorite either. The Tale of the Three Brothers is also my favorites. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordmundt6 (Post 5198449)
It was tough to take Babitty seriously. I probably still liked The Three Brothers best. The Fountain of Fair Fortune was good (and matches most closely to Muggle fairy tales--though I've read and seen films of muggle versions of The Three Brothers). The Warlock's Hairy Heart was well-done, but frankly I was a little surprised to see Poe elements mixed into CHILDREN'S tales. Albus' commentary was the best part, I think--particularly his scathing commentary on what was it, again? The Toadstool Tales? Is that what they called the Victorian reworking of the Bard's offerings?;)

I actually liked The Hopping Pot--it was as close as she'd wander to an Aesop's fable and it worked pretty well.

I think that's why I enjoyed The Warlock's Hairy Heart so much, because of the obvious Poe elements that were involved. As I had mentioned on its own thread, it had reminded me a lot of The Tell-Tale Heart. :love:

Mad_Druid December 9th, 2008 2:48 am

I enjoyed The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart the most. Babbitty came last for me.

vampiricduck December 9th, 2008 2:54 am

Just a small observation. I just voted, and it's unusual that those of us who voted for Most: Fountain of Fair Fortune, also mostly voted Least: Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump.

Funny dynamic. I wonder why that happened?

BublGumPnkHar December 9th, 2008 4:05 pm

I loved the Fountain of Fair Fortune, and liked The Warlock's Hairy Heart the least. This is like trying to rate the books, it's all relative to the material offered for comparison.

We did find out Jo's definition of a Warlock, which I had been wondering about. :D

LadyLucious December 9th, 2008 4:17 pm

I love The Fountain of Fair Fortune & The Tale of Three Brothers :)
Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump is my least favourite.

Pearl_Took December 9th, 2008 4:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5198549)
I enjoyed The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart the most.

So did I. :)

The first one is so enchanting and hopeful and humane. :)

The second one is so wonderfully gothic and chilling. :D

Lucybird December 9th, 2008 5:20 pm

I don't think The Warlock's Hairy Heart was un-fairytaleish, it actually reminded me a lot of the orginal Grimm's fairytales, they're pretty gruesome (like the ugly sister's cutting off their heals in Cinderella to try to get their feet to fit in the shoe)