Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123339)

Hermionerocks65 December 4th, 2009 6:18 pm

ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

Greetings all.
I am new to Muggle net, and am very glad to be part of this group. As many of you may know ABC Family will be airing Harry Potter films beginning tonight at 7.30pm (EST). I have seen ABC Family's version of the Sorcerer's Stone and I wanted to invite you all to watch it. This version as approx. 30 mins of film not on the DVD. There is a scene of Dudley in his Smelting uniform, Aunt P. cracking open eggs with Harry's letter's in them, Harry and Hagrid on the train to London ect. Many of these additional scenes are important to the movie, and some are just Fun. If you have Time please check it out I would love to talk about the differences in this version to the DVD. The Sorcerer's Stone will air on Saturday @ 12.30pm (EST) as well.

CrazyMuggle December 4th, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: ABC Family's Version Of HP and the SS

It is actually seven minutes of new footage, the full half hour is mostly commercials. I've seen the extended ABC Family cut and it was great, even better than the original. In case you didn't know this Tuesday the "Ultimate Cuts" are being released on DVD/blu-ray and they contain these extended cuts plus loads of extras (for both films 1 and 2).

Grymmditch December 4th, 2009 7:47 pm

You beat me to it, CrazyMuggle.
I'm looking forward to those Ultimate editions.
Funny thing is, I was just saying how 'tis the season for Harry Potter to be airing on TV again! Good catch. Crappy thing is, I have to work all day Saturday (OT) . Bummer.
I need the christmas money though.

merrymarge December 4th, 2009 8:29 pm

I too will miss Friday's showing of the Sorcerer's Stone, because I am at school during that time. And, I thought that OoTP will be shown also this weekend.

Puppet_Master December 4th, 2009 9:47 pm

Oh, I had no idea about this.
New footage not seen even in the deleted scenes coming in the DVDs? Is that the Chris Columbus movie?.

I am very glad about this.

Hopefully they will be doing the same with CoS

Sounds like a mega extended DVDs/ Blue Rays coming in the future.
I don΄t know if it exist now. Ultimate Film Collection Editions??

Lilleby December 6th, 2009 8:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppet_Master (Post 5464123)
Oh, I had no idea about this.
New footage not seen even in the deleted scenes coming in the DVDs? Is that the Chris Columbus movie?.

I am very glad about this.

Hopefully they will be doing the same with CoS

Sounds like a mega extended DVDs/ Blue Rays coming in the future.
I don΄t know if it exist now. Ultimate Film Collection Editions??

No, nothing we haven't seen before! Unfortunately since we know there's alot of unused materials (LIKE PEEVES!!!!!!) ...

padfoot__lives December 7th, 2009 9:07 pm

I watched the 'Harry Potter Weekend' thing that ABC Family was doing.. I ended up watching Sorcerer's Stone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! Haha. It was amazing, though. Does anyone know when they'll be adding Order of the Phoenix to their Harry Potter lineup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle (Post 5464031)
In case you didn't know this Tuesday the "Ultimate Cuts" are being released on DVD/blu-ray and they contain these extended cuts plus loads of extras (for both films 1 and 2).

I saw the commercials for those, they'd play them after they played some sort of footage of interviews with Emma, Rupert, Dan, or Chris Colombus. I'm waiting for the rest of the films to come out to just buy them as a bundle pack or something, but I also noticed at the bottom of the screen it said "years 3-7 coming soon". It made me realize (again) that these movies are going to be done before we know it! Gah, it makes me depressed :lol:

Jack5555 December 7th, 2009 9:14 pm

PoA AND GoF were extended too :) I think this is the first time they showed the extended edition of GoF. The PoA has been airing for a while. It was nice to see the Snape/Karkaroff carriage scene where it belongs :)

katana December 7th, 2009 9:14 pm

I like it when they add the deleted scenes on tv. The extra scenes really add to the movie. Although, I missed half of GOF on Sunday night and when I tuned in, the were playing an extended scene! I was bummed because I didn't know if I missed any other deleted scenes for GOF!

And are the dvd versions of the Ultimate releases of SS and COS gonna be the same as blu-ray, or is it going to be one of those things where you get a bit more on the blu-ray than you do on the dvd?

MasterOfDeath December 7th, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! :lol: Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, were edited fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP. :tu:

lcbaseball22 December 7th, 2009 10:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5465505)
Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! :lol: Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP. :tu:

Damn, I wish I would have seen this! Unfortunately we haven't been getting ABC Family on our TV at the moment for some odd reason :grumble:

Good to hear they left out the extended Weird Sister scene...I HATE that deleted scene. Overall, GoF is actually my least favorite film but perhaps with the other deleted scenes added back in I'll think more highly of it. Wasn't a huge fan of 'em, but the carriage scene is great :rotfl:

CrazyMuggle December 7th, 2009 10:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana (Post 5465493)
And are the dvd versions of the Ultimate releases of SS and COS gonna be the same as blu-ray, or is it going to be one of those things where you get a bit more on the blu-ray than you do on the dvd?

If you're referring to the extended cuts, they will be the same both on DVD and blu-ray. However the blu-ray has a bit more extras (including a film-length video commentary by the director.)

Jack5555 December 8th, 2009 12:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5465505)
Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! :lol: Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, were edited fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP. :tu:

I think the most important deleted scene that was added back in was when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking about the death of Crouch. When I first saw the movie, I was like "Why did Harry just prance up to Dumbledore's office and not say a word about Crouch?" Then I realized that you can hear Dumbledore say "a man has died". I could hardly hear it! Having the scene back really helps the movie. You hear Ron specifically mention Crouch is dead, and Hermione says you should go to Dumbledore, so it makes sense why he randomly goes there.

Oh, and yes, I am glad too the extended Yule Ball scene was not put in. It would have made the movie WAY to draggy.

katana December 8th, 2009 12:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle (Post 5465529)
If you're referring to the extended cuts, they will be the same both on DVD and blu-ray. However the blu-ray has a bit more extras (including a film-length video commentary by the director.)

Okay. Thanks! Have been thinking of going Blu-Ray, but can't quite decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5465561)
I think the most important deleted scene that was added back in was when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking about the death of Crouch. When I first saw the movie, I was like "Why did Harry just prance up to Dumbledore's office and not say a word about Crouch?" Then I realized that you can hear Dumbledore say "a man has died". I could hardly hear it! Having the scene back really helps the movie. You hear Ron specifically mention Crouch is dead, and Hermione says you should go to Dumbledore, so it makes sense why he randomly goes there.

I thought the same thing on that scene! It really helped to bridge the other two scenes together!
But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" :lol: It just seemed rather odd.

Jack5555 December 8th, 2009 12:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana (Post 5465566)

I thought the same thing on that scene! It really helped to bridge the other two scenes together!
But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" :lol: I just seemed rather odd.

Hmmm... didn't notice, I'll check again (DVR FTW!). Hopefully it will be restored in the Ultimate Collector's Edition.

So did anyone notice if in PoA they added back in the scenes when Sirius went to kill Scabbers? I wasn't home when it was on, and I have not seen the extended edition in its entirety.

MasterOfDeath December 8th, 2009 2:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana (Post 5465566)

But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" :lol: It just seemed rather odd.

Yes, they did! :lol: I noticed that too. It's because the next scene is the deleted scene where Hermione pieces together that Snape thinks they are brewing polyjuice potion. If they kept Snape's last line, it would have been redundant.

I too loved that trio common room scene. I think it's become my favorite of all the deleted scenes for GOF. It feels like the book for some reason...Ron is actually knowledgeable and smart. He mentions how the Ministry will cover it up setting up the ministry plot in OOTP. Hermione says how surviving the tournament isn't the answer anymore, that it's bigger than that and enumerates all the strange events that have been happening which builds up the atosmphere of the return of Voldemort.

magic_is_might December 8th, 2009 2:56 am

Welcome to Mugglenet!

I did enjoy the ABC versions (me and my sister watched all the HP movies they played for all three nights :p) - because it included the extra footage which I enjoyed because the movies (especially in SS and CoS) included deleted scenes that did come from the books, and made the first 2 movies feel as if they were best of the films; the first 2 movies stayed true to the first two books IMO - PoA is a close second.

I do have the deleted scenes on my DVD's but I don't watch them because the extra disc in my copies of SS and CoS have so much filler stuff to wade through to get to the bonus stuff, I don't even bother :(

clockstopper December 8th, 2009 5:09 am

hey did the poa version shown on abc include the deleted scenes? and if so did they put all of them? including the one were mcgonagall appears in the common room

CrazyMuggle December 9th, 2009 1:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by clockstopper (Post 5465663)
hey did the poa version shown on abc include the deleted scenes? and if so did they put all of them? including the one were mcgonagall appears in the common room

The only two deleted scenes I noticed were an extended sequence with a blue bird (where Hagrid tries to smack it between his hands) and Sir Cadagon not allowing the Gryffindors passage into the Common Room. There was no McGonagall (I don't think they can re-insert that scene without the Sirius/scabbers attack).

Jack5555 January 7th, 2010 9:37 pm

Harry Potter Weekened on ABC Family THIS Weekend!

Saturday, January 9th 2010:
8:00 pm: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Sunday, January 10th, 2010:
7:30 pm: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

These are both the extended editions, so set your TiVo's and DVR's now.

It is a shame they are not showing the first two. ABC Family also has the rights for OotP, so we should see it in the near future. Other 2007 movies like Spider Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End all debuted in 2009 so we should see it on ABC Family soon.

ajmrowland January 8th, 2010 5:41 am

Re: ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

I thin some people confuse staying true to the book with almost carbon copy. I just watched PS for the millionth time, and it's just not as good as some latter films. COS is much better, especially with the deleted scenes added back in. GoF is already one of my favorites, and I haven't even seen the extended cut.:p

MasterOfDeath January 8th, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Harry Potter Weekened on ABC Family THIS Weekend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5479286)
Saturday, December 9th 2010:
8:00 pm: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Sunday, December 10th, 2010:
7:30 pm: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

These are both the extended editions, so set your TiVo's and DVR's now.

It is a shame they are not showing the first two. ABC Family also has the rights for OotP, so we should see it in the near future. Other 2007 movies like Spider Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End all debuted in 2009 so we should see it on ABC Family soon.

Dude, that's a year away! :lol: I'm sure ABC family will be re-airing the films long before next winter. :whistle: ;)

Jack5555 January 8th, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Harry Potter Weekened on ABC Family THIS Weekend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5479606)
Dude, that's a year away! :lol: I'm sure ABC family will be re-airing the films long before next winter. :whistle: ;)

GAH! I meant January. Sorry! I am still in December mode :P I fixed it.

katana January 11th, 2010 5:27 am

I'm watching GOF right now! I liked the school singing the Hogwarts song to the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons teams and DD leading the school in the song :lol: It was funny!

ActingDude17 January 11th, 2010 6:50 am

Once you go extended you never go back.

PoFoSho January 18th, 2010 5:56 am

On ABC Family just last weekend they had yet another HP Weekend, and while I watched HP4 I noticed several new-and crazy- scenes that I'm guessing were either deleted or part of the extended edition.
Like when they're at the opening feast in the great hall Dumbledore announces that its time to sing the 'school song' and they all break out into song with hand motions and all, while Dumbledore follows along (like a sing along) with his words on a banner floating in the air. All i have to say about this one is THANK GOD they took it out of the regular version!!
There was also another scene during the Yule Ball where Harry over hears Snap and Karkaroff talking while Snape kicks kids out of carriages (one of which was rocking back and forth when Harry passed it). It was quite, quite strange!

snapes_witch January 18th, 2010 9:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoFoSho (Post 5484308)
There was also another scene during the Yule Ball where Harry over hears Snap and Karkaroff talking while Snape kicks kids out of carriages (one of which was rocking back and forth when Harry passed it). It was quite, quite strange!

In the book Snape was zapping the rose bushes that the kids were (fill in the blanks) behind. I suspose they thought the carriages were more obvious? Reminded me of the car scene with Rose and Jack in Titanic! :lol:

Jack5555 February 4th, 2010 2:49 am

~POTTER ALERT~
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone will be airing on ABC on Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. EST.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets will be airing on ABC on Saturday, February 13th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. EST.

snapes_witch February 4th, 2010 3:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5492416)
~POTTER ALERT~
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone will be airing on ABC on Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. EST.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets will be airing on ABC on Saturday, February 13th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Pity they're not the extended versions.

HedwigOwl February 7th, 2010 9:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 5492423)
Pity they're not the extended versions.

Also a pity they snip so much out to make room for commercials....

Jack5555 February 10th, 2010 3:50 pm

~POTTER ALERT~
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will air on ABC on Saturday, February 27th at 8:00 p.m. EST. Source.
This hopefully means that we will be seeing it on ABC Family in the near future, and maybe even the extended edition by next year!

Fury February 10th, 2010 4:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5495098)
~POTTER ALERT~
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will air on ABC on Saturday, February 7th at 8:00 p.m. EST. Source.
This hopefully means that we will be seeing it on ABC Family in the near future, and maybe even the extended edition by next year!

O.o February 7th passed.... and I missed it? O.O

Jack5555 February 10th, 2010 4:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fury (Post 5495099)
O.o February 7th passed.... and I missed it? O.O

27th my bad! I was typing fast. I will fix it!

texan_muggle February 10th, 2010 5:57 pm

They did a lot of cutting.

Jack5555 February 10th, 2010 6:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_muggle (Post 5495145)
They did a lot of cutting.

Which ones are you specifically talking about?

MasterOfDeath February 10th, 2010 8:50 pm

Oh wow, OOTP is finally airing on network TV for the first time! Historic moment! :D

Guys, this is ABC. All Potter movies usually air on ABC first. This is worlds different from ABC family. ABC not only doesn't extend the movie, they chop them up beyond repair. :lol: Don't expect much from this version, BUT this means that OOTP will soon air on ABC family. Probably sometime in the spring. :tu:

Jack5555 February 10th, 2010 9:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5495216)
Oh wow, OOTP is finally airing on network TV for the first time! Historic moment! :D

Guys, this is ABC. All Potter movies usually air on ABC first. This is worlds different from ABC family. ABC not only doesn't extend the movie, they chop them up beyond repair. :lol: Don't expect much from this version, BUT this means that OOTP will soon air on ABC family. Probably sometime in the spring. :tu:

Well they are giving OotP a 3 hour time slot, and the film is only around 2 hours to begin with so I doubt they will be cutting much :)

ArryGrotter February 10th, 2010 9:29 pm

I am surprised how slow it is to make it onto free-to-air TV in the States. It's already played twice here in NZ; once in August last year and once last month. :shrug:

Noldus February 10th, 2010 9:46 pm

Do they seriously tamper with them? What a shame...

texan_muggle February 10th, 2010 9:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5495149)
Which ones are you specifically talking about?

The SS broadcast last weekend was cut up. Noticeably.

AccioHP February 10th, 2010 10:07 pm

Cool that OoTP is finally airing on tv.
I wish it was on ABC Family though but I guess that will be next. Hopefully when it airs on ABC Family it will be the extended version! :)

I turned on SS when it was playing on ABC last weekend and it was the Ollivander's scene and Harry picked up one wand which didn't work and then the next one was miraculously his lol They cut out the 2nd attempt lol

snapes_witch February 10th, 2010 10:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccioHP (Post 5495241)
Cool that OoTP is finally airing on tv.
I wish it was on ABC Family though but I guess that will be next. Hopefully when it airs on ABC Family it will be the extended version! :)

I turned on SS when it was playing on ABC last weekend and it was the Ollivander's scene and Harry picked up one wand which didn't work and then the next one was miraculously his lol They cut out the 2nd attempt lol

I thought that scene was odd!

The first cut was Hermione telling Ron he had dirt on his nose (on the train as she's leaving their compartment).

Figuring the actual running time of SS, 152 min., there's 28 min. left for commercials, but with the cuts that's probably more like over 30. OotP is such a lousy movie to begin with (IMO), I'd hate to think what the ABC version is going to be like.

decarus February 10th, 2010 10:38 pm

They cut the ends of scenes a lot when they play it on ABC. It is almost unbearable, in my opinion. Especially when i can just watch it on dvd.

MasterOfDeath February 10th, 2010 10:42 pm

Yeah, it makes me wonder how they will do OOTP. The film is already short and choppy enough as it is! :lol:

decarus February 11th, 2010 1:20 am

That's a good point. There are no ends to chop off for OotP. I don't know what they'll do. All i know is that SS was unbearable to watch on ABC the other day. I changed the channel when i saw it as i was flipping through.

MasterOfDeath February 11th, 2010 1:23 am

It wasn't just PS/SS. I've watched COS, POA and GOF on ABC for the past couple of years and they are all chopped up.

HedwigOwl February 12th, 2010 6:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5495325)
It wasn't just PS/SS. I've watched COS, POA and GOF on ABC for the past couple of years and they are all chopped up.

Yep, that is so very annoying. Makes me appreciate my DVD's even more....

Jack5555 February 19th, 2010 11:04 pm

~POTTER ALERT~
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban will be airing on ABC on Saturday, February 20th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. EST.

And don't forget about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on February 27th on ABC at 8:00 p.m.

snapes_witch February 20th, 2010 4:03 am

The editing of CoS was terrible. The movie jumps from the Burrow directly to the bookstore with Lockhart. There's Harry with ashes all over his face without any explanation! :no::no:

Slartibartfast February 20th, 2010 4:09 am

I watched CoS on ABC once. I noticed there was a few extra scenes and i was intrigued. However i just cannot stomach the commercials and the edits. D:
I so want those Ultimate Editions though...

Jack5555 February 20th, 2010 5:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slartibartfast (Post 5499112)
I watched CoS on ABC once. I noticed there was a few extra scenes and i was intrigued. However i just cannot stomach the commercials and the edits. D:
I so want those Ultimate Editions though...

They are worth every penny :). I cherish them like I would a puppy.

Jack5555 March 3rd, 2010 9:49 pm

~POTTER ALERT!~
THESE ARE ALL ON ABC FAMILY

Friday, March 19th
(7:30 – 11:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Saturday, March 20th
(9:00 AM – 12:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
(12:30 – 4:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
(4:30 – 7:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"
(7:30 – 11:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

Sunday, March 21st
(9:30 AM – 1:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
(1:30 – 4:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"
(4:30 – 8:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"
(8:00 – 11:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

DARN MY LIFE! I will be in Chicago this weekend :(.

Fury March 17th, 2010 1:31 am

So there was a commercial on ABC Family that they are going to show all the movies (1-5) between Thursday and Sunday, but...

They also said there would be a World Premiere trailer for Deathly Hallows.

Now, what are the chances that this will be a new trailer, and not the one that was on the HBP DVD?

weasley9 March 17th, 2010 1:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fury (Post 5509896)
So there was a commercial on ABC Family that they are going to show all the movies (1-5) between Thursday and Sunday, but...

They also said there would be a World Premiere trailer for Deathly Hallows.

Now, what are the chances that this will be a new trailer, and not the one that was on the HBP DVD?

I believe that Snitch Seeker has already confirmed that is in fact the one on the DVD.

Nagini001 March 17th, 2010 2:24 am

This weekend starting thurs is Harry Potter weekend on ABC and there are suppose to be clips of DH!

Fury March 17th, 2010 2:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagini001 (Post 5509922)
This weekend starting thurs is Harry Potter weekend on ABC and there are suppose to be clips of DH!

Just posted that on here :). The clips of DH are the ones from the HBP DVD.

I saw on a site, it says...

Quote:

Along with a weekend full of wizarding fun, ABC Family will be premiering a two-minute never-seen-before on television sneak peek of the upcoming film "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" throughout the weekend event.
"Never-seen-before on television" is the most obvious bit there.

AccioHP March 19th, 2010 8:08 pm

Is the extended OoTP on ABC Fam just the deleted scenes added in? Or will there be more that we havent seen possibly?

MasterOfDeath March 19th, 2010 8:19 pm

Who knows if they extended OOTP at all yet. It took about 2 years after GOF first aired on ABC family for them to put the deleted/extended scenes from the DVD back in. I'm not getting my hopes up that OOTP was extended.

Unless since OOTP is Yates's film, it was easier to get the OKAY from him to extend? GOF was Mike Newell who has left the franchise so perhaps it was more difficult to get his permission to extend it? Does anyone know if PS/SS and COS were extended the first time they aired on ABC family?

Slartibartfast March 21st, 2010 12:03 am

They said OotP was to have "never before seen in theaters" scenes in it. Also ive seen the snippits of the DH stuff in commercials. Im watching CoS right now.

LordThingy March 22nd, 2010 1:49 am

i'm looking forward to seeing the deleted scenes added in to Order of the Phoenix! I don't know how reliable this is, but ABC Family has it showing from 8-11 (3 hours) and they only had 2 1/2 hours alotted for GoF.

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 1:53 am

I'm wondering if OOTP really has been extended. When GOF first aired on ABC Family a coulple years back, it was advertised as being extended but GOF wasen't extended until December 09. :shrug:

If it is extended, it will probably only be the deleted clips from the DVD which were mainly just small, short little add-ons to scenes. :lol: I wonder if they will keep the scene of Trelawny making a mess of her meal during Umbridge's speech during the opening speech. :lol:

I've been watching the ABC Family marathon all weekend and I'm very excited for OOTP! It's coming on so soon now! :D

CurseCruciatus March 22nd, 2010 1:56 am

I don't think I have the ABC Family channel.:no: I guess I'll just buy it on Blu-Ray.

LordThingy March 22nd, 2010 1:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511867)
I'm wondering if OOTP really has been extended. When GOF first aired on ABC Family a coulple years back, it was advertised as being extended but GOF wasen't extended until December 09. :shrug:

If it is extended, it will probably only be the deleted clips from the DVD which were mainly just small, short little add-ons to scenes. :lol: I wonder if they will keep the scene of Trelawny making a mess of her meal during Umbridge's speech during the opening speech. :lol:

I've been watching the ABC Family marathon all weekend and I'm very excited for OOTP! It's coming on so soon now! :D

i absolutely loved that trelawney scene, i will laugh really hard if it ends up in the extended version.

They are advertising it as having footage never shown in theaters... so i hope they throw in deleted scenes, even if they are ones we have already seen.

iamwood March 22nd, 2010 2:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordThingy (Post 5511865)
i'm looking forward to seeing the deleted scenes added in to Order of the Phoenix! I don't know how reliable this is, but ABC Family has it showing from 8-11 (3 hours) and they only had 2 1/2 hours alotted for GoF.

Well...OoTP is the feature presentation they have been advertising all weekend...so I think it's safe to say there may be a few more commercials. Just a few :p

..But I'm with you, I'm excited to see these deleted scenes. Tonight was my first time seeing any cut scenes from GoF, and I must say, I liked them :tu:

Slartibartfast March 22nd, 2010 2:18 am

I saw GoF yesterday on that channel. Theres one scene in that, that was worth sitting through it for. Snape and Karkaroff at the Yule Ball! That was great! I dont know if ill stay up for OotP though. It sounds like they are gonna drag it out with commercials.

Jack5555 March 22nd, 2010 2:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamwood (Post 5511878)
Well...OoTP is the feature presentation they have been advertising all weekend...so I think it's safe to say there may be a few more commercials. Just a few :p

..But I'm with you, I'm excited to see these deleted scenes. Tonight was my first time seeing any cut scenes from GoF, and I must say, I liked them :tu:

Especially the common room scene right after they find Crouch dead. It makes loads more sense now.

Boy I hope we get something we have not seen before for OotP.....

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 2:20 am

I'm pretty sure it IS extended because when the movie started there was a notice that said, "this film has been modified to fit the screen AND to edited to run in the time allotted". That last part means only one thing on ABC Family...it has been extended! ;) The first extended scene (trewlany making a mess while eating) should be during the opening feast.

iamwood March 22nd, 2010 2:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511886)
I'm pretty sure it IS extended because when the movie started there was a notice that said, "this film has been modified to fit the screen AND to edited to run in the time allotted". That last part means only one thing on ABC Family...it has been extended! ;) The first extended scene (trewlany making a mess while eating) should be during the opening feast.

I saw that notice too. But I thought that it probably meant the opposite of what you said. But I sure hope you're right!

Maybe we'll see an extended version of the Ministry battle!?
:drool:

lil_snuffles March 22nd, 2010 2:32 am

I definitely love the versions they have been playing on ABC. :) I like all the extra scenes they added because some of my dvd's of the Harry Potter films (some of them aren't the special editions) don't have the extended/deleted scenes they have been showing.

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 2:33 am

Nah, ABC family never chops up it's movies, that's regular ABC. :lol:

I doubt we'll get any scenes not on the DVD, unfortunately...but it'll still be cool to see how those little extended moments from the DVD fit into the movie proper.

Then again, this is Yates so you never know...maybe they will surprise us...I swear if there is a scene we've never seen before I will have a panic attack! :rotfl:

EDIT: Ok, so the Trelawnly eating scene wasn't included but Neville talking about how his gran called the daily prohet rubbish and canceled their subscription was added. This was a nice addition, Neville comes across as so strong and cool here and it's a nice intro to his new development in this film.

AccioHP March 22nd, 2010 2:59 am

Watching ootp!

NickHeartsMat March 22nd, 2010 3:06 am

I love ABC Family's HP marathons! I actually don't have time to watch OotP tonight but I have it recording on my dvr. I watched the first couple with my 3 year old (finally one of my kids will watch with me!). I don't know why I like to watch on tv when I have the movies (probably because I am lazy, and I like that they add the scenes right in :lol:)

boushh March 22nd, 2010 3:24 am

I noticed that during the "extended" GoF they did add stuff back in but they also trimmed at least one scene. The scene in the potions closet with Snape and Karkaroff was there but the ending was cut off. They cut to Snape closing the door on Harry while he was in the middle of listing the ingredients to Polyjuice potion. "... boomslang skin... lace wing flies..." Door slams in Harry's face. The end of his line was cut out. Pretty silly if you ask me. It only amounts to a few seconds. They could have trimmed that from anywhere. Why cut in the middle of a line?

weasley9 March 22nd, 2010 3:26 am

I'm noticing a bunch of little extra bits during these DA scenes in OoTP! :)

Nyjets4004 March 22nd, 2010 3:28 am

yeah it says they have some deleted scenes that were not seen in theaters. but would they point them out cuz if they dont i might not catch em' if they do can u guys point them out for me?

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 3:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by boushh (Post 5511911)
I noticed that during the "extended" GoF they did add stuff back in but they also trimmed at least one scene. The scene in the potions closet with Snape and Karkaroff was there but the ending was cut off. They cut to Snape closing the door on Harry while he was in the middle of listing the ingredients to Polyjuice potion. "... boomslang skin... lace wing flies..." Door slams in Harry's face. The end of his line was cut out. Pretty silly if you ask me. It only amounts to a few seconds. They could have trimmed that from anywhere. Why cut in the middle of a line?

That's because the new scene right after that has Hermione piecing together that Snape thinks they were brewing polyjuice potion. In the original edition, Snape says they are brewing poloyjuice potion which would make Hermione's line redundant.

The BEST new scene so far in OOTP was the one of Malfoy and cronies bullying those kids with Umbridge looking on, right before the scene where she invites Malfoy and the others to her inquisitorial squad. Finally, we get a little of that really, really evil, lowlife,awful, petty, scummy side of Umbridge from the book! She basically realizes she can use the school bullies as her personal band of thugs. So evil. Really spices up that montage. :tu:

weasley9 March 22nd, 2010 3:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511915)
That's because the new scene right after that has Hermione piecing together that Snape thinks they were brewing polyjuice potion. In the original edition, Snape says they are brewing poloyjuice potion which would make Hermione's line redundant.

The BEST new scene so far in OOTP was the one of Malfoy and cronies bullying those kids with Umbridge looking on, right before the scene where she invites Malfoy and the others to her inquisitorial squad. Finally, we get a little of that really, really evil, lowlife,awful, petty, scummy side of Umbridge from the book! She basically realizes she can use the school bullies as her personal band of thugs. So evil. Really spices up that montage. :tu:

I also think the part where Nagini attacks Mr Weasley was extended a bit.

Maybe we'll see Snape's worst memory extended! That would be amazing! Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Also, there was a small bit where Snape was pulling Harry down the stairs towards the dungeons.

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 3:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by weasley9 (Post 5511916)
I also think the part where Nagini attacks Mr Weasley was extended a bit.

Maybe we'll see Snape's worst memory extended! That would be amazing! Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Also, there was a small bit where Snape was pulling Harry down the stairs towards the dungeons.

Really? I didn't notice anything different about nagini attacking Arthur...

Snape pulling Harry down the stairs was in the original film. :)

Nyjets4004, I'll post all the new scenes when the movie is over. :)

weasley9 March 22nd, 2010 3:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511921)
Really? I didn't notice anything different about nagini attacking Arthur...

Snape pulling Harry down the stairs was in the original film. :)

Nyjets4004, I'll post all the new scenes when the movie is over. :)

Really? Then again, it has been a while since I've seen the film. :whistle:

Nyjets4004 March 22nd, 2010 3:52 am

This might be of subject but since were talking about the abc family movies of harry potter, and im watching it now im gonna post my favorite quote... :)

Theres a storm comin harry, and we'll all best be ready for when she does.

I think i saw one of the deleted scenes, its when their all getting punished and their forced to right with umbridges evil pens.

Jack5555 March 22nd, 2010 4:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 (Post 5511924)
This might be of subject but since were talking about the abc family movies of harry potter, and im watching it now im gonna post my favorite quote... :)

Theres a storm comin harry, and we'll all best be ready for when she does.

I think i saw one of the deleted scenes, its when their all getting punished and their forced to right with umbridges evil pens.

Nope, that isn't a deleted scene.

I am rather disappointed with it so far. Let's hope for some new battle footage!!

AccioHP March 22nd, 2010 4:24 am

Is that umbridge speech before grawp comes extended?

weasley9 March 22nd, 2010 4:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccioHP (Post 5511934)
Is that umbridge speech before grawp comes extended?

Yup, that's a deleted scene put in the film.

LordThingy March 22nd, 2010 4:26 am

yes it is, in the theatrical version she doesn't mention "the greater good" or "the ends do justify the means."

AccioHP March 22nd, 2010 4:31 am

I hope the battle is longer

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 4:41 am

I'm not too impressed with the extended version. :shrug: They weren't edited into the film as good as the other films (save for a couple). The worst one is Filch blowing dust off Umbridge hair after the twins escape. It felt really out of place and random and messes with the pace of the scene.

weasley9 March 22nd, 2010 5:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511944)
I'm not too impressed with the extended version. :shrug: They weren't edited into the film as good as the other films (save for a couple). The worst one is Filch blowing dust off Umbridge hair after the twins escape. It felt really out of place and random and messes with the pace of the scene.

I agree. It's not really ABC's fault though. They probably didn't have any more material to work with. :/

I'm still holding out for that 3 hour long, original OoTP.

boushh March 22nd, 2010 5:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath (Post 5511915)

Yes, that's a good point. I personally wouldn't have minded it and would have been forgiving of it because it's an extended version that is just allowing us to see stuff that didn't make it in. I'd rather have all of the scenes from the theatrical version intact. Those shouldn't be sacrificed, IMHO.

Quote:

Yeah, that one didn't work well at all. The added scenes were also noticeably of lesser quality, and without the color correction of the theatrical version, so they really stood out. I felt this way after seeing the deleted stuff on the DVD way back when... I can totally see why most of those scenes were cut out. They weren't really cut for time, but for other reasons. Still, it's nice that ABC Family airs them this way, and really for all of the other films it's quite the treat.

Slartibartfast March 22nd, 2010 7:12 am

OH BOO! I really wanted extended Snapes Worst Memory. Alas...D: Most of the added stuff in OotP is rather minor.

ArryGrotter March 22nd, 2010 7:15 am

Well, I hope the quality of the UE version (whenever it comes out) is better :)

DML1991 March 22nd, 2010 8:11 am

Quote:

That's the only one that detracts any from it, IMO. Otherwise, the scenes are edited in really well, especially in the aftermath of the battle with Harry in the common room, and walking in Dumbledore's office. That adds quite a bit to Harry's feelings there, with something so simple put back in context.

Also, I'm glad they fixed the colors in the scene where Hermione and Harry are in the forrest with Umbridge. Why they cut that scene in the first place, however, makes no sense.

Nyjets4004 March 22nd, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah i didnt notice most of them the one i really noticed, was Filch wiping the dust of umbridge, and umbridge's speech when they took her to grawp.

iamwood March 22nd, 2010 3:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5511999)
That's the only one that detracts any from it, IMO. Otherwise, the scenes are edited in really well, especially in the aftermath of the battle with Harry in the common room, and walking in Dumbledore's office. That adds quite a bit to Harry's feelings there, with something so simple put back in context.

I thought the same thing about the post-battle scenes. The were small, and mostly used as transitional footage, but I felt that they really did slow things down and let the viewer get more of a grip on Harry's emotional state. It really worked in my mind :cool:

Quote:

Also, I'm glad they fixed the colors in the scene where Hermione and Harry are in the forrest with Umbridge. Why they cut that scene in the first place, however, makes no sense.
I didn't understand why they originally cut this scene either. Typical Mark Day, I guess. I thought this scene worked well, even better than the original, because it didn't rush Umbridge's frustration. She ranted and raved a bit and really let the audience see what an evil maniac she was, and, I thought gave more time for Grawp to enter the scene.

CrazyMuggle March 22nd, 2010 6:44 pm

Of the deleted scenes re-inserted into the EE I enjoyed:

- Neville's line about his gran and the Daily Prophet (go Neville!)
- Umbridge's extended speech in the forest
- The brief exchange between Ron/Harry after the MoM
- Harry standing in DD's office

I'm hoping the UE adds in a lot more footage however; there's still more of the battle, the Brain Room, the attack on the grounds, etc etc.

greenwich_girl4 March 22nd, 2010 7:15 pm

I was sick this weekend, so I got to watch the movies. ABC Family is awesome for doing these weekends!!

LordThingy March 22nd, 2010 7:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle (Post 5512109)
Of the deleted scenes re-inserted into the EE I enjoyed:

- Neville's line about his gran and the Daily Prophet (go Neville!)
- Umbridge's extended speech in the forest
- The brief exchange between Ron/Harry after the MoM
- Harry standing in DD's office

I'm hoping the UE adds in a lot more footage however; there's still more of the battle, the Brain Room, the attack on the grounds, etc etc.

i agree, i hope this isn't what they're going to put on the ultimate editions. its nice of ABC family to re-insert deleted scenes from the dvds, but i'd like some more substance for the UE.

MasterOfDeath March 22nd, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, so far the ultimate editions only include the ABC Family versions...

Slartibartfast March 23rd, 2010 5:05 am

Quote:

I noticed that and i loved that little part. It really made more sense. Also Ron going up and trying to talk Harry into going down for dinner. And when Harry goes into Dumbledore's office and is just about to walk out. It really highlights what Harry is feeling at the moment.

gottriplets March 23rd, 2010 7:43 pm

Darn it, I fell asleep during the Prophecy room encounter and missed the rest of it! I did get to see the Neville (Gran) scene and the extended Umbridge speech in the Forest, but that was it!

Tough getting old :rotfl:

brattyc May 18th, 2010 10:17 pm

They did add the scene in OofP where Filich blows on Umbridge's hair to put out the fire :lol:

Is anyone up for another marathon? ABC Family has another one set for the Memorial Day weekend :clap: I found the schedule at Zap2it...here's what they're showing as of now:

Prisoner of Azkaban:

Friday - 5/28 - 8-11 pm (all times are Eastern)
Saturday - 5/29 - 4:30-7:30 pm

Goblet of Fire:

Saturday - 5/29 - 7:30-11 pm
Sunday - 5/30 - 4:30-8 pm

Order of the Phoenix:

Sunday - 5/30 - 8-11 pm
Monday - 5/31 - 6-9 pm