Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Comic Books & Graphic Novels (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   The Sandman (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=117439)

Caliope July 22nd, 2008 3:42 pm

The Sandman

Wow - a whole section on comics and graphic novels and no one's brought up Neil Gaiman's award-winning series yet? I'm shocked! (I did a search, really. If I missed something, feel free to dope-slap me and lock this up.)

So, basically, the series revolves around seven anthropomorphical beings known as The Endless. They are Death, Delirium, Destruction, Destiny, Desire, Despair, and Dream - aka The Sandman, aka Morpheus. (For you Twilight fans, Death - many fans' favorite character - is a doppelganger for Alice. I'm not kidding - I'm half-convinced Stephenie Meyer has read these.) Dream is the Lord of The Dreaming - the world you go to whenever you lose consciousness, whether it's a daydream, a fantasy, a nightmare, you're in his realm when you're asleep.

My username, Caliope, is a reference to a muse that Morpheus rescues in Book 3. (I spelled it wrong - it's supposed to have two L's - but by the time I signed up, it was too late to fix it. Oops.) So, any fans about?

evlyra October 18th, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: The Sandman

Probably the only Graphic Novel I would read... Neil Gaiman never disappoints me (except if you count Beowulf).
My favourite character is Delirium... She's so awesome!

vampiricduck October 21st, 2008 4:36 am

Would you believe that I have every single one of these in my house and yet have never read them? And I'm such a huge Gaiman fan, shame on me!!!!

evlyra October 21st, 2008 2:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5162942)
Would you believe that I have every single one of these in my house and yet have never read them? And I'm such a huge Gaiman fan, shame on me!!!!

Big BIG shame on you. You won't regret if you can't let down those books!

Freak of nature July 12th, 2009 8:37 pm

I have read most of the series many times. It's just sad that my budget is so tight that I cannot buy the books for myself and our library does not have all the volumes. Hmm... I guess I could orser them from another libraries. Why on earth have I not thought of that before? Silly me. They definitely are wort reading. And they won't get old.

Morning_Star August 23rd, 2009 8:30 pm

I bought the first Sandman volume when I was in London, because I had heard so much about the series an I decided to give it a chance. I very much regret this, I wish I had bought them all. :D I hope I can buy them on the Internet, but I can't let my parents discover it. (You should have heard them when I came back from two days of shopping in London without a single piece of clothes for myself, only twenty books and a graphic novel. :rolleyes:)

Morning_Star January 12th, 2010 7:43 pm

My parents were in Oslo (the capital of Norway) this weekend, and they bought volume two and three of The Sandman series! :D I was so happy, I almost jumped up and down, they're impossible to get here, except from the internet, and the shipping is usually very expensive. But now I've got three volumes, my Sandman library is growing! I've read them all though, because my school library has them. :lol:

MrsLupin April 9th, 2011 2:04 am

I just got the first one to start this weekend. I find it difficult to switch from reading words to interpreting images, so graphic novels pose a challenge. Fingers crossed!

Wab July 13th, 2012 4:14 am

Neil Gaiman has announced he will be writing a new Sandman book due in 2013 -- the 25th anniversary of the publication of Sandman #1.

BubblyShell22 July 14th, 2012 7:09 pm

I had to read "A Game of You" for my graphic novel class. It was pretty good, but I accidentally threw it away when we were getting rid of all my college books. Oops.

Wab September 25th, 2012 6:04 am

Just ordered the complete set in a slipcase. It's due for release in November.