Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Tales of Beedle the Bard (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Collector's Edition (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=118844)

NumberEight December 5th, 2008 12:06 am

Collector's Edition

I just received the Collector's Edition. It's simply beautiful.

The book was put in the Amazon shipping box with "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" and "ATTENTION MUGGLES - DO NOT DELIVER OR OPEN BEFORE DECEMBER 4!" displayed on it in a font I've never seen used in the Potter series. Inside the shipping box is a huge white slide-on covering with "This Side Up" displayed on it in same font. It is also plastic-wrapped.

The actual "Hogwarts Textbook" is 12.8 x 10.4 x 2.8 inches and has "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" on it along with an etched replica Rowling signature. It opens to reveal "The Tales of Beedle the Bard".

On the left side of the opened textbook is an envelope with "Collector's Edition Prints" typed on it along with a replica of Rowling's signature. Inside the envelope are 10 drawings, presumably copied drawings that Rowling originally drew.

The actual The Tales of Beedle the Bard book lies in the middle of the textbook. It is placed inside a dark maroon bag with Rowling's signature on it in gold lettering. The book is very small but it is amazing. It looks exactly like the hand-made copies. There is a skull on the front with light blue (I don't know the name of the color, sorry) eyes. There are other decorations on the corners of the cover. There's a buckle on the right side that you move so you can open the book.

The Introduction is a copy of Rowling's cursive handwriting. The rest is typed, sadly. There are also illustrations on some pages. There are 179 pages.

This is entire thing is extremely beautiful. It is worth the $100 price tag.

Edit: I will not be reading the Collector's Edition, unless there is exclusive text that doesn't appear in the Standard Edition. Come to think of it, the introduction produced in Rowling replica handwriting may be exclusive. Someone let me know if that is true.

vampiricduck December 5th, 2008 12:17 am

Re: Collector's Edition

Thanks for telling me this JL- I'm hoping mine will arrive tomorrow but this has me psyched!!! Cheers!

I don't know about the exclusivity though, although I am aware that there are extra illustrations in the collector's edition, so I recommend that you look at each page individually, even if you choose to not read it in its entirety.

Desraelda December 5th, 2008 12:24 am

On another board, someone got the collector's edition, and it had three obvious errors in it.

Anyone else have that problem?

NumberEight December 5th, 2008 12:29 am

What are the errors? Can you also give a link to the board's thread about these errors?

xhanax315 December 5th, 2008 12:37 am

I just got mine, and your summarization is simply perfect. It is indeed worth the $100. :tu: I haven't the chancee to read any of it yet, I haven't heard of any errors. I will have to watch for those. I will also be purchasing a regular version too.

NumberEight December 5th, 2008 12:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 5196025)
I just got mine, and your summarization is simply perfect. It is indeed worth the $100. :tu:

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 5196025)
I will also be purchasing a regular version too.

I ordered the Standard Edition on Amazon this morning and it has already shipped. :) I'll be getting it next week. That's the one I'll be reading.

I am sure the Standard Edition is cheaper than the $11.13 I paid at Amazon if I bought the book in stores, but stores tend to put price tag stickers on books and I really, really hate that.

jonsgirljen December 5th, 2008 12:54 am

I wanted to get this version so much, in fact, my fiancee was going to get it for me, but he thinks that someone else in the family may be getting it for me for Christmas...I can only hope because I want it so badly. Even more now...

Lord Godric December 5th, 2008 1:42 am

My copy was waiting for me when I got home today! It's so awesome!

NumberEight December 5th, 2008 1:53 am

I am hoping the Collector's Edition will be worth a decent amount of money in 20 years, but I do not know anything about book value.

Lord Godric December 5th, 2008 2:01 am

I am sure it will be worth something, although I never plan to sell it.

yumedreams December 5th, 2008 2:40 am

I got my Collector's Edition today as well. Your description is truly perfect. I love it, and am keeping every part of it - including the box :P

xhanax315 December 5th, 2008 3:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumedreams (Post 5196085)
I got my Collector's Edition today as well. Your description is truly perfect. I love it, and am keeping every part of it - including the box :P

Me too! I loved the box! It was amazing! :cool:

Wab December 5th, 2008 3:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLTucker (Post 5196062)
I am hoping the Collector's Edition will be worth a decent amount of money in 20 years, but I do not know anything about book value.

Probably not. The leather bound collectors' edition has a print run of 100,000 which is twenty times that of the original hardback and more than many best sellers.

And if it were sealed in plastic and the plastic is removed that's about half the resale gone.

There are three principles of collectables: rarity, condition and popularity.

xhanax315 December 5th, 2008 3:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Godric (Post 5196067)
I am sure it will be worth something, although I never plan to sell it.

I wouldn't either.....:whistle:

I really wish I had gotten the standard edition from the bookstore, I don't like having my CE out and about. :(

freelantzer December 5th, 2008 3:15 am

I really, really want the collector's edition, but I just can't justify spending $100 on myself right now. :sigh: I hope I get it for Christmas, but it's doubtful.

vampiricduck December 5th, 2008 3:25 am

Aw, freelantzer- go mad!! Spend spend spend!! :)

Lord Godric December 5th, 2008 3:27 am

It's totally worth it!

freelantzer December 5th, 2008 3:37 am

^ It sounds totally worth it. But I better wait until after all my Christmas shopping is done before I spend that much on myself. I do plan to buy the standard version, tomorrow though. :D

NumberEight December 5th, 2008 3:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5196135)
^ It sounds totally worth it. But I better wait until after all my Christmas shopping is done before I spend that much on myself. I do plan to buy the standard version, tomorrow though. :D

How much money do you spend for Christmas? I do not buy anyone anything.

freelantzer December 5th, 2008 3:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLTucker (Post 5196137)
How much money do you spend for Christmas? I do not buy anyone anything.

I have a really big family, so even though I don't spend a ton on each person it gets pretty pricey. Plus I have to get my car worked on this month and take my dogs to the vet for their yearly updates. One of my dogs is on special meds and she has to have all her bloodwork updated; they said that could cost around $100 by itself. So I better wait to buy Beedle. :sad: