Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Fiction (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Books with Harry Potter references in them? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=126042)

Fury September 30th, 2010 12:37 am

Books with Harry Potter references in them?

Have you read any books that have Harry Potter references in them?

I was reading a book called "C.S.I: mortal wounds". It is a spin-off book of the famous series. This book was written around 2002 or so.

Well, in one of the three stories, one of the suspects is talking about the last time she saw the deceased, her friend, and she said (I paraphrase) "We went to the Harry Potter movie that was showing." The movie would have probably been Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone!

lilyrose September 30th, 2010 4:03 am

Re: Books with Harry Potter references in them?

Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess has one :) While referring to the lead character's inability to plug the iron:
Quote:

'I expect you're used to another model,' she adds wisely as she clicks it shut. 'They all have their own tricks.'

'Absolutely!' I say, seizing on this excuse in relief. 'Of course! I'm far more used to working with a...a...a Nimbus 2000'

Trish peers at me in surprise. 'Isn't that the broomstick out of Harry Potter?'
:lol:

xhanax315 September 30th, 2010 4:46 am

There's one in The Devil Wears Prada, the main character has to try and aquire the seventh HP manuscript.

APolaris September 30th, 2010 4:58 am

I saw one in the fifth book of Stephen King's Dark Tower Saga, called Wolves of the Calla, before I'd even read any HP books. One of many weapons the "wolves" used was a deadly bladed golden snitch. On examination, one is even labeled explicitly identifying it as a "Harry Potter model."

Starling September 30th, 2010 10:23 am

Alex says "What is this place, Hogwarts?" in the Stormbreaker film. But I don't know if it's in the book (I've only read bits of it, I was reading it to my son, but he kept reading it himself in between).

ETA: I love the CSI books, they're so well written. Usually spin-offs are bad, but I like these.

Siriusandme September 30th, 2010 9:22 pm

Editing because apparently that one glass of wine was to much and made me think I was in the Television forum. Buffy is television not a book....

Prince659 October 7th, 2010 6:22 am

In Firefly Lane Kate and her daughter, Marah, play hooky and go to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in the theaters. That's the only HP-related reference that I've seen in a book, though. I was very excited. :)

msstinson November 21st, 2010 4:14 pm

i know of two both by meg cabot. one is avalon high. the main characte ellie is talking with mister morton about mordred and shes very skeptical and she says "who do you think he is darth vader, voldemort?" i cant remember what she said first so i just said darth vader.

the other one is in the princess diaries. i think its sweet sixteen princess. mia is talking about her grandmother and her friend lilly and says " they are like the malfoy snape pairing of the muggle world. i thought it was really cute. ill post more if i think of them.

HMN November 29th, 2010 5:41 pm

I picked up 2 books this weekend with Harry Potter references. Both from Scholastic interestingly and both futuristic dsytopian YA books.

The first is Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve - it is a set in a far distant future London, where one aspect is that the Londoners don't have one god, they have many. You see a group of passers by chanting, "Hari, Hari, Hari Potter." I thought that was interesting in a zealous-religious-group's-worst-fear-come-true kind of way.

The other is Raiders Ransom by Emily Diamond where there is a brief scene where Cat jumps onto a table of books and the antique shop owner says, "Be careful"... "Those are Harry Potters. I have half a dozen historians fighting to get their hands on them."

:)

lvngbooks December 13th, 2010 9:40 pm

Not Harry Potter, but JK Rowling reference in "I Heart New York" by Lindsey Kelk!

I'll look up the exact quote in a bit!

RemusPotter December 14th, 2010 9:11 am

In Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, when Percy goes to Empire State Building, to deliver the Lighting bolt to Olympus, the guard is reading a Harry Potter book.

AurayaBlack December 24th, 2010 7:09 pm

At some point one of the characters in one of the City of Glass books someone calls some poeple Muggles. :p

Prince659 December 24th, 2010 11:04 pm

In Handle With Care there's a girl at the OI convention who has a "Hogwarts Dropout" sticker on her wheelchair.

lvngbooks January 5th, 2011 10:03 pm

Need by Carrie Jones:

I find the button, but my shaking fingers have a hard time turning it on. Cold air cranks out full blast. It's like being kissed by the Abominable Snowman or a Steven King horror monster from hell that sucks out your soul. Or is that from the Harry Potter books? I don't remember.

She's talking about Dementors

ArryGrotter January 6th, 2011 6:15 am

In Point Blanc, the main character is given the Chamber of Secrets book with a stun dart in its spine :lol:

lvngbooks January 15th, 2011 7:26 pm

I read multiple books lately that had a JK Rowling/Harry Potter reference in them.. I'll have to look up the reference in The Book of Tomorrow, but this is what's in Betrayed (House of Night #2):

Quote:

From what I had overheard they were both into the same kind of books and were debating which of the Harry Potters was really the best. (Clearly, they were dorkishly alike)

lvngbooks February 14th, 2011 4:16 pm

From Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, p 169 paperback edition:

Quote:

I swear, security there is tighter than an airport - like obesity in America is somehow a terrorist plot, and the next big thing to go will be the nation's elliptical machines - and the card features a tiny picture of my, a membership ID number, and my last name and initials: KINGSTON, S.E.
Irma screws up her face. 'What does the S. stand for?'
My mind does that thing where it hiccups and then goes totally blank. 'Um - Severus.'
She stares at me. 'Like in Harry Potter?'
'It's German, actually.' I should never have offered to read those stupid books to Izzy. 'You can see why I go by my middle name.'

Spacecadet February 14th, 2011 7:52 pm

The secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel has nicholas and perenelle flamel, and references to the sorcerers stone and immortality, but that is actually something that jk rowling borrowed from history/myth so i guess that isnt really considered a reference to hp but more or less a commonality.

SopophorousBean February 17th, 2011 4:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince659 (Post 5674650)
In Handle With Care there's a girl at the OI convention who has a "Hogwarts Dropout" sticker on her wheelchair.

I can't remember if I spotted this the first time I read it but I'll have to look out for next time I read that book, its one of my favourites!

Two of the books I've read recently have had references to Hogwarts in, in "Her Fearful Symmetry" when the main characters are talking about their mum's time at boarding school -

Quote:

Julia always says they should have gone to Hogwarts instead
and in "From the Dead" by Mark Billingham, two of the characters are going to catch the train at King's Cross and when one of them doesn't know where they're going she makes a joke about whether they're going to catch the Hogwarts Express :D

MissGranger1979 February 27th, 2011 12:27 pm

In Jacqueline Wilson's Girls in Love series (I can't recall the exact book - I read them years ago), Ellie's boyfriend has some well-thumbed Harry Potter books in his bookcase :)