Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Fiction (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   How you get your books... (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=117933)

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 6th, 2008 1:52 am

How you get your books...

Where do you get your books? Do you buy them, read them at the bookstore, at the library, borrow them from friends, etc?

I always either go to the bookstore to read them and hopefully buy them if my parents let me. Sometimes I check out the library, but usually theres an enormous list of people who want to check it out....which means a years worth of waiting....totally pointless. usually my friends don't have the books I like, but I can always try.

Discuss.

Caliope September 6th, 2008 2:38 am

Re: How you get your books...

I either buy them, or very occasionally get them from the library. The books I want are sometimes obscure enough that I don't have to deal with waiting lists.

vampiricduck September 6th, 2008 5:34 am

I usually buy them. But there is a great second hand store just down the road, and that place is a sanctuary for a poor student with very little money in hand (or wallet, if you're than way inclined!).

I'm a terrible woman in the library. Really. I'm just terrible. I never return my books. I have three here now, and I've gotten "please return these" notices about them. But I just haven't yet.

The shame..

Great question, Voldemorts8thHorcrux!

mac_attack September 6th, 2008 7:02 am

I usually buy mine. And by "buy" I mean "Wait until some occasion comes along in which people will be buying me presents and then hint oh so subtly that I want books" :blush::p

Either that, or I have my mom check stuff out for me from her library. I can't deal with libraries myself, I get lost in them for hours and wind up trying to take home half a dozen books at a time, when I only have time to read one or two. :blush:

gipro2003 September 6th, 2008 7:38 am

I usually buy mine online. I can usually find them for a cheaper price, and plus I don't have to risk not being able to find them. Other than that, I usually receive them as presents.

I can't keep up with a library card, and I'm tired of paying replacement fees, so I've finally given that up. :D

Mad_Druid September 6th, 2008 10:50 am

I volunteer in an Op Shop so I get first dibs on lots of unusual books :D If there is a book that I really want I buy it new and sometimes I go online yo get something not available in Australia.

I also borrow them regularly from the library, and recieve them as presents.

vampiricduck September 6th, 2008 4:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5131919)
I volunteer in an Op Shop so I get first dibs on lots of unusual books :D If there is a book that I really want I buy it new and sometimes I go online yo get something not available in Australia.

I also borrow them regularly from the library, and recieve them as presents.

Ah, presents. Getting books as presents would be my ideal world. People do insist upon giving me pyjamas though, which I will never understand. Don't they realise that I have enough by now...

Bring on the books!

I was actually thinking of getting a job in that shop... I got a great American Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince first edition for 4... That's like, roughly $6. Total bargain.

Fawkesfan1 September 6th, 2008 7:06 pm

I usually buy them from a used book store... but I also check them out from my local library. It just really depends on how much I like the book and that sort of thing.

Every so often, I tend to read a book more than once... in that case, I tend to rent it from the library. But if its a harder to get book, I tend to get them from a used book store.

DeathlyH September 7th, 2008 1:02 am

I'll go out to the bookstore whenever I get a chance, and if I'm looking for something specific or just want to look around I'll get a book. I get some for Christmas and birthdays too which is cool. I usually don't go to the library too much, but if there's a book I want out of stock at the bookstore, there's a good chance my library will have it.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 7th, 2008 1:17 am

i'm kind of annoyed...because i really enjoy reading, and my mom only buys me books once a month...even when it's my own money from my gift cards.

whenever anyone gets me gift cards, i always ask for barnes and noble or borders :D

Mad_Druid September 7th, 2008 6:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5132073)
I was actually thinking of getting a job in that shop... I got a great American Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince first edition for 4... That's like, roughly $6. Total bargain.

I got an American Edition of PS for $5 which was pretty cool. I love reading all of the minor differences in language.

hermy_weasley2 September 7th, 2008 2:59 pm

I buy the ones I really want. If I'm just bored and just want to find a book to read, I usually go the library.

And presents of course. That's my favorite. :D

Kimmetje September 7th, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm mostly interested in English books and those that I want aren't really in the Dutch stores. So when I visit the US I buy lots of books (hardcover, paperback - whichever) and the books that I want really badly I can order online at bol.com. :)

vampiricduck September 7th, 2008 5:40 pm

I just thought of another one. I swap books with friends. Every now and again we just meet up and swap random books. Though it doesn't work so well with series unless you go one at a time.

And it depends on whether someone is a good returner or not. Otherwise you're following them around looking for books back!

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 7th, 2008 11:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5132992)
I just thought of another one. I swap books with friends. Every now and again we just meet up and swap random books. Though it doesn't work so well with series unless you go one at a time.

And it depends on whether someone is a good returner or not. Otherwise you're following them around looking for books back!

I don't trust my friends enough :whistle:. Two good indicators for whether your friends are good returners at a school age, whether they return borrowed money (better to lose a few cents than a $20 book) and if they actually read :p

vampiricduck September 8th, 2008 1:33 am

The other big one: How quickly they read! :lol:

If they're going to take too long about it, no way!! I need it back, and fast!
And the worst thing ever- lending someone a book you haven't yet read yourself.

*sigh*
Learning curve! :lol:

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 8th, 2008 1:56 am

I've only ever let my friends borrow one book, and they gave it back with one crease on the spine and i totally freaked out on them in public :D, it's good for discouraging people :tu:

vampiricduck September 8th, 2008 2:54 am

Yeah, being a perfectionist about that stuff doesn't help either. I recently got my Breaking Dawn book back with dog ears and creases all over... My nearest and dearest friend... She got no argument, but she so knew from the pained expression on my face! :lol:

bellatrix93 September 13th, 2008 10:40 am

I usually buy my books online, and sometimes from the library. As for lending or swapping books with my dear friends, they always give them back months later without finishing them, and what makes me really angry is that they never give them back in one part :upset:

GemmaBlack September 13th, 2008 12:29 pm

Well I do all of the above really, I buy them on the odd occasion I actually have money, (so hard to find a job when your a student!lol). When people ask hat I want for my birthday or christmas i usually say a book, and i nearly always have a pile of books from the library that are long overdue back because I haven't got to them yet.