Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Post DH References (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v. 8.0 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=109188)

BelleSnowyOwl July 27th, 2007 3:17 am

Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v. 8.0

Mods, I searched and nothing came up; apologies if this already exists! :)

I’m slowly re-reading DH, and taking notes on the little things that I didn’t catch at first.

One, that I love, is at Harry’s birthday dinner. Ron compliments Hermione, and Harry “had a funny notion that he would find a chapter on compliments when he found time to peruse his copy of Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches” (pg. 101 UK). Then, Harry compliments Mrs. Weasley on the Snitch cake, and Ron gives Harry thumbs up and mouths “good one”. I didn’t notice at first, but Ron was under the impression that Harry had been reading that chapter on compliments!

Another one is when the trio is discussing Horcruxes, and Ron asks how they can posses someone. Hermione says, “You’re in trouble if you get too fond of or dependant on the Horcrux.” (pg. 91 UK) That’s exactly what happened to Dumbledore – he was so fascinated at having one of the Hallows he’d once dreamed of finding, that he allowed himself to become too close.

Are there any other things that you didn’t catch at first?

burns20002002 July 27th, 2007 3:39 am

Re: Things You Didn't Catch at First

There were quite a few things that I didn't catch. Mostly funny dialouge.
Like when the trio is in the muggle coffee shop and Ron is complaining that the jeans he's wearing are his old one's and too tight and, "that's why I'm having trouble sticking my wand in them" or something to that effect. Then Harry hears Hermione mumble something about where he can stick his wand!
Hilarious!!:lol:

abz48 July 27th, 2007 3:45 am

I haven't re-read DH yet but one thing I hadn't noticed until someone mentioned, that Harrry tells Neville on a whim to tell Ron and Hermione about killing Nagini and then Neville ends up doing it.

sapere_aude July 27th, 2007 3:53 am

That doesn't happen, he tells Neville to kill the snake. Ron and Hermione already knew.

I didn't notice first time that Narcissa asked Harry if Draco was alive after he comes back from his dream thing w/ Dumbledore.

Zkickin July 27th, 2007 3:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapere_aude (Post 4660211)
That doesn't happen, he tells Neville to kill the snake. Ron and Hermione already knew.

I didn't notice first time that Narcissa asked Harry if Draco was alive after he comes back from his dream thing w/ Dumbledore.

How did you miss that?

Tigster July 27th, 2007 3:57 am

I didn't notice that Harry makes a point to say that it seemed Voldy was unconscious too after the Killing Curse/Kings Cross. I didn't picture Ron and Hermione in the office with Harry at the end - somehow missed they went in too and didn't occur to me even though they talk there.

I only re-read from Prince's Tale on since I know I rushed that part. :)

sapere_aude July 27th, 2007 4:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zkickin (Post 4660236)
How did you miss that?

I'm not sure considering how pivotal it was. Admittedly when I read it I was thinking: You've got to be kidding! They don't even check to see he's breathing!

lil_snuffles July 27th, 2007 6:34 am

On the part where Harry jumped into the pool to retrieve the sword, you know how it said that the chain of the locket was trying to strangle him? Well for some reason I didn't catch that part until I started reading the book a second time.

Sub Zero July 27th, 2007 6:40 am

I totally did not realize Snape was saving Lupin and that's why he cut George's ear off with Sectumsempra by mistake. I think I totally read over that part at the end. It was like 10:00 AM so I'm pretty sure I was just too tired to realize.

YellowPoofBall July 28th, 2007 1:39 am

Something I didn't notice until my third read and after someone here pointed it out was that Umbridge says she's descended from the Selwyns, and there's a Selwyn Death Eater that appears twice.

8m57w6 July 28th, 2007 5:55 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigster (Post 4660238)
I didn't notice that Harry makes a point to say that it seemed Voldy was unconscious too after the Killing Curse/Kings Cross. I didn't picture Ron and Hermione in the office with Harry at the end - somehow missed they went in too and didn't occur to me even though they talk there.

And now I just noticed after reading your post that Killing Curse and King's Cross are both KC. No that that's at all significant, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall (Post 4664540)
Something I didn't notice until my third read and after someone here pointed it out was that Umbridge says she's descended from the Selwyns, and there's a Selwyn Death Eater that appears twice.

I knew that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember from where when I read it. I wonder if she even knew or cared that she was claiming to be related to a DE. Something tells me not at all.

Saiorri July 28th, 2007 7:09 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall (Post 4664540)

Wow, you're on your third read already? I'm only on my second....but ya, I did catch that in the book that Umbridge said she descends from the Selwyn family when "Mafalda" complimented her locket. I had to backtrack to where I saw the Selwyn name mentioned. Then again, can you blame Umbridge's character for claiming to come from a pureblood family like the Selwyn??? Glory hog.

And I really doubt if Umbridge cares that she is claiming to be related to a death eater. After all, they all are related to Death Eater's if they claim to be "sleep with my cousin Pure Bloods"

Remus_Green July 28th, 2007 2:09 pm

I didn't notice the first time, JK's calling of Voldemort "Voldy" hehe

Peeves:

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the One,
And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now lets have some fun!

Quote:

And I really doubt if Umbridge cares that she is claiming to be related to a death eater. After all, they all are related to Death Eater's if they claim to be "sleep with my cousin Pure Bloods"
Especially as she was willing to use the Cruciatus curse on unarmed students, I reckon she cares even less...

Quote:

Especially as she was willing to use the Cruciatus curse on unarmed students, I reckon she cares even less...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiorri (Post 4665491)
Wow, you're on your third read already? I'm only on my second....but ya, I did catch that in the book that Umbridge said she descends from the Selwyn family when "Mafalda" complimented her locket. I had to backtrack to where I saw the Selwyn name mentioned. Then again, can you blame Umbridge's character for claiming to come from a pureblood family like the Selwyn??? Glory hog.

Quote:

harrymoo July 28th, 2007 2:51 pm

I only thought on my second reading that the awful smell at Bathilda Bagshots was probably referring her decaying body?? And possibly the "pile of filthy clothes" that Harry fell on to when the snake appeared was actually bathilda's body? Or am i just being a bit gruesome and reading too much into it?

Remus_Green July 28th, 2007 2:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrymoo (Post 4666108)
I only thought on my second reading that the awful smell at Bathilda Bagshots was probably referring her decaying body?? And possibly the "pile of filthy clothes" that Harry fell on to when the snake appeared was actually bathilda's body? Or am i just being a bit gruesome and reading too much into it?

No I reckon you are spot on there. It's a grim chapter.

Bathilda came across as a bit of a b*t*h to me anyway...

no_seatbelt July 28th, 2007 8:40 pm

how did she come across as a b*tch? she never even spoke in the book.

TheInvisibleF July 28th, 2007 11:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_seatbelt (Post 4667107)
how did she come across as a b*tch? she never even spoke in the book.

Agree with you here. It wasn't as if she meant to tell all about Dumbledore's past. Skeeter said she used Veritaserum on her. And then stole her pictures as well.

ccsh July 30th, 2007 3:00 pm

I didn't notice until my second reading that Draco was at Hogwarts. Narcissa mentions that he's home for the Easter holidays when the trio are captured and taken to Malfoy manor. I thought he was confined to his house with his parents the whole time.

LeanneJO July 30th, 2007 3:38 pm

Why wouldn't Draco be at Hogwarts, his parents would have been happier than usual for him to be there seeing as purebloods are the ones valued and the dark arts were being taught.

Kat July 30th, 2007 3:47 pm

When Scrimgeour gives Harry his inherited Snitch, I didn't realize that's why he was looking at the Snitch cake with suspicions.

And then Hermione (I think; too lazy to get the book) jokes that there's a secret message in the cake's icing...and then there turns out to be writing on the actual Snitch!