Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   The "F" word- are you offended by it? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=76418)

hp007 November 4th, 2005 12:18 am

The "F" word- are you offended by it?

Hey guys,
Recently, we had this discussion in one of my classes. We hear this word everyday.. or at least I do. So my question is, are you offended by it, even if it's not directed at you? Like if you hear someone say it, do you cringe? (like me) Also, if you're a fan of rap music, you would know there is quite a lot of swearing in it- does that affect you in any way?
A guy in my class said he wasn't particularly offended by it, unless it was directed at him or used to express raw emotion, for instance, anger or frustration. However, if used unnecessarily, it can be offending.
Personally, I think where it was once a swear word, to express some kind of emotion, it's now become completely unnecessary. I mean, I've heard people say hi to each other [using the f word]
Also, in rap music, if they are, indeed, expressing some kind of emotion, they can say the word once- there is no need to repeat it over and over again like they do- it is redundant and completely vulgar. I mean, we get the point that you're mad, now move on..

So what do you guys think? Are you offended by it? Or do you hear it so much that you're now completely unaffected by it?

MidnighterWitch November 4th, 2005 12:34 am

well if some one says it directly at me.. I say it right back

but no I am pretty use to this word as I usually say it everyday( not a purpose, it's a terrible habit)

coolrthnu November 4th, 2005 12:40 am

are you talking about fudgecrammer? (that's for you Jessica!)

emmawatson777 November 4th, 2005 12:44 am

What "f" word???

Midnightsfire November 4th, 2005 12:55 am

Most of the time I get incensed when I hear it used when there are small children around.

Most of the time I find it is used inappropriately anyway. (I rarely use it myself.)

Jessica November 4th, 2005 12:57 am

Just wanted to remind everyone that actually saying the f word in this thread will get you warned. Keep it on topic and respectful.

Midnightsfire November 4th, 2005 12:58 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmawatson777
What "f" word???

An English slang/swear word used to denote sexual intercourse and usually used for...just about anything else.

A very impolite word to use.

witchygurl November 4th, 2005 1:03 am

well it kind of offends me but im used to it.

Pinkerton November 4th, 2005 1:10 am

It doesn't offend me in any way. I've really been dulled to it. I grew up in a house where my mom used it all the time. While driving, talking about people in general, yelling at our animals, yelling at me.. So it's a word that's worn well in my mind. Me being a general potty-mouth, it's one of those words I seem to use in every-other sentence so long as it's safe to do so. I think people are a bit over-sensitive to the word. I understand how it can be offensive, but I think it's a bit silly the way some people over react to "the f word" or any other curse words. Take it for what it is, I say. You don't have to use that kind of language if you don't want. If someone else is saying it, do your best to ignore it, remove yourself from the situation, or just brush it off. ;)

Jim November 4th, 2005 1:23 am

Not at all. I find it a normal part of conversation in informal situations. It's only a word after all, so it's cool, unless it's being directed at me

Allombora_Reiven November 4th, 2005 1:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim
Not at all. I find it a normal part of conversation in informal situations. It's only a word after all, so it's cool, unless it's being directed at me

I agree with the man who has my name ^_^ :tu:

ali_singer November 4th, 2005 1:37 am

Not really, I hear it so much and I use it myself occasionally.

halfbreedlover November 4th, 2005 1:38 am

I think the topic starter should confirm which word is being spoken of. One IS quite offensive to many people, the other is said every day and means sexual intercourse.

michelle3654 November 4th, 2005 1:43 am

No, I hear it all the time so I'm used to it.

Scheherezade November 4th, 2005 1:45 am

I'm not offended more annoyed. People use it as a verb, noun, adjective, adverb sometimes whole sentences consist of that word. It sounds like they honestly have nothing really to say, which itself is a cliche attitude, but it's ridiculous. I find it offensive when people write it all over the walls of your dorm, along with certain male body parts. Some people wrote it on my door (among others) and I was definitely not amused, no matter how 'funny' they thought it was.

halfbreedlover November 4th, 2005 1:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixUK
The "f" word refers to f*ck, the other expletive beginning with that letter is generally less offensive (and, if you're in the UK, you can get pork flavoured versions :)).

If, by "the other expletive" you mean the gay equivalent to the "n" word, then I would strongly disagree with your assessment. It is an offensive word, and should be socially unacceptable just like the "n" word is today.

alliumsativu November 4th, 2005 1:51 am

i swear a lot.. just out of habit. i really dont see what the big deal is at all.

Midnightsfire November 4th, 2005 1:57 am

Just don't use it around children...

PhoenixUK November 4th, 2005 2:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfbreedlover
If, by "the other expletive" you mean the gay equivalent to the "n" word, then I would strongly disagree with your assessment. It is an offensive word, and should be socially unacceptable just like the "n" word is today.

It's not going to happen, though, at the moment people use "******" as an offensive term rather than an actual description of sexual orientation. While with "n*****" it was actualally used in a racist sense against black people, "******" is rarely used in a homophobic sense against homosexuals.

Homophobia is as bad as racism, as you say, but ****** is primarily a misused, if crude, insult rather than an actual homophobic term.

Fynn November 4th, 2005 2:19 am

Not offended by it in the slightest, and I use it myself quite often. It's a perfectly legitimate word that expresses certain emotions and attitudes very clearly. I don't understand why some people feel the need to intersperse their speech with it after every second word though, because it lessens the impact and therefore the usefulness. But linguistic history would suggest that when one "shock" word becomes ordinary, we find a new one :).