Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   The Host (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=115169)

Ginny1976 February 19th, 2008 5:16 am

The Host

With the release of an excerpt from the new Stephenie Meyer book, The Host, I thought I'd put up a thread about it now so we can speculate in the upcoming months.
The link for the excerpt from Stephenie's website...here
The book will be on sale on May 6th!
Enjoy!

blue_dragons May 6th, 2008 2:53 am

Re: The Host

IT'S RELEASED TOMORROW! Then we'll have something to talk about!

Ginny1976 May 13th, 2008 9:49 pm

So has anyone read it? I loved it. It seemed the perfect balance to me. It was slow to grasp, but once it got hold, it flew and I wanted to ingest it whole. I'm reading it again, more slowly and love how it makes more sense. And now I really want a book from Jared's perspective.

blue_dragons May 14th, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm on chapter 8 right now. I really wish that I'd have finished it by now, but school's ending and I have finals. Hopefully I can finish it by Friday when we have our "Arts Fest" (aka sluff and no one cares day!)

Ginny1976 May 23rd, 2008 4:19 pm

I just finished my 2nd time through. It was much better as I caught everything I missed the first time and understood it better.
It's #1 on the NY Times, Publishers Weekly and Wall street Journal best seller lists.
It's such a great book. This one should be made into a movie as well.

Legalese May 23rd, 2008 5:48 pm

The publisher was very smart in requiring each person to purchase a copy of The Host in order to get in to each event to see Stephanie Meyer on her tour. If this had not been required, I would have just brought my pre-teen Twilight-obsessed daughter and her three Twilight-obsessed classmates to the event without buying The Host.

We bought The Host on the day it came out, and neither I nor my daughter has read it yet. I'm sure it's a good book, and I plan to read it at some point, but we never would have bought it (especially in hardback) had it not been a requirement to get in to see "the author of the Twilight series."

xhanax315 June 6th, 2008 4:44 pm

Im sorry to the person above me, but thats just flat out ridiculous! Anyways, the Host was absolutely amazing! I was a little hesitant at first, I was the first of my Twilight group to give it a chance. When i first started it, it was kind of odd, I stopped for a week, but tried again. It turned out to be great. I love it just as much as Twilight, maybe even more. Ive gotten a Twilight friend to start it and she loves it! I have my sister who didnt like twilight to read it, she had better like it! I love Jared so much more than Edward!

Ginny1976 June 6th, 2008 5:11 pm

So happy that you loved it, xhanax315!! I liked it better than Twilight too. It's mature and adult. Love the romantic side of Twilight, but this felt more real. Jared feels like a real guy who's just trying to stay alive. Not quite so perfect like Edward. Edward is great, but just not realistic. And Ian was great too. I've told everyone about it. I read it again and understood it much better and caught tons that I didn't get the first time. Again, Loved it!!

xhanax315 June 7th, 2008 2:26 am

Yes it was amazing. I thought Ian was okay, but I was kind hoping theyd both end of with Jared. I thought it funny the body they found her, especially for Ian. It was really good, I love the suspense, and the Seekers were a little frightening, especially when they almost catch their Snitch. Ha ha!

GrangerHermione June 9th, 2008 7:37 pm

My mom just bought it the other day! Yay! :clap: I have yet to read it, but if it's a Stephenie book, I'm sure I'll love it. :D

MHPFAN June 11th, 2008 12:00 am

I started reading it a day in Borders and I was sooo confused. I didn't get the whole Healer deal. :shrug: Of course, I didn't finish it, but I might just make it a day and read all of it. It doesn't sound like it's close to Twilight, but I'm not biased for change. :)

DeathlyH June 11th, 2008 2:40 am

I'm skeptical. After reading Twilight, I really really don't like Stephanie Meyer (not personally, of course) and her writing, so I may or may not get this. And how did she find time to write another book? Aren't Breaking Dawn and Midnight Sun both coming out soon??

Ginny1976 June 11th, 2008 4:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHPFAN (Post 5053802)
I started reading it a day in Borders and I was sooo confused. I didn't get the whole Healer deal. :shrug: Of course, I didn't finish it, but I might just make it a day and read all of it. It doesn't sound like it's close to Twilight, but I'm not biased for change. :)

The Host is nothing like Twilight. It's adult which makes it more mature. It's a story about choices and being human, like Twilight, but other than that, it's completely different. It took me a little while to really get into it as well, just because it was so different and so had to change gears and think more, but around the 8th chapter, it really flew and I didn't want to put it down.

DeathlyH, only Breaking Dawn is coming out in August. Midnight Sun is coming out in a couple of years. I think she wrote this while she was editing either New Moon or Eclipse. You may like this one. I liked it better than Twilight.

blue_dragons June 12th, 2008 8:06 pm

For the strangest reason, when I was reading it, I began thinking of connections to Twilight characters.

GrangerHermione June 13th, 2008 4:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathlyH (Post 5053944)
I'm skeptical. After reading Twilight, I really really don't like Stephanie Meyer (not personally, of course) and her writing, so I may or may not get this. And how did she find time to write another book? Aren't Breaking Dawn and Midnight Sun both coming out soon??

I thought you liked Twilight...

I loved it. :D It seemed so much more intense than Twilight. I actually liked it better. The Host has romance in it like Twilight does, but it also has so much more than that. I loved the variety in it. I got hooked on the first page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginny1976 (Post 5035218)
It's such a great book. This one should be made into a movie as well.

:agree: I think it'd make a great movie.

xhanax315 June 15th, 2008 4:04 am

Quote:

You cant think that way. I was so reluctant to read it at first. Im so glad that I took the chance. I prefer it so much more than Twilight. Like I said before, its a litte weird at first, so you have read it with no distractions. Someone up thread seems to have proved that. I had to restart it just because it was a bit odd.

GrangerHermione June 15th, 2008 4:25 am

Quote:

I really think you should give it a try. :) My older brother (he's 20) didn't like Twilight at all, so he was hesitant about reading The Host. But when he started it he got as crazy about it as me! :wow: It was SO surprising to me! He was raving about it, saying that it was up there with HP and LotR and he said he wanted to write Stephenie Meyer and tell her what a great book it was and beg--BEG!--for a sequel!!!!!!!!! :wow: :wow: Since you don't know my brother, you're probably not as shocked as I am, though. ;)

xhanax315 June 15th, 2008 5:47 am

Im hoping my older sister will turn out like your brother. Shes 34 and didnt like Twilight at all. She said shed try it because its meant for adults......

goldensara June 29th, 2008 5:32 am

I just finished reading The Host, and I really liked it! Plot wise I think Meyer has gotten better in planning her books although it tends to lag in one or two sections. The interplay between Mel and Wanderer were very well written and kept me in suspense until the end. And what a grand finale that was! I really really love the ending, I think its sort of like a new and improved version of the ending I want for the Twilight series, :lol:

xhanax315 June 29th, 2008 6:49 pm

My older sister is reading it, shes in chapter 9. She says its like some show, I cant remember the name, and its so easy too!