Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Great Hall (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Questions for the Americans v3. (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=89828)

Jessica May 21st, 2006 8:56 pm

Questions for the Americans v3.

Thread Rules1. Please treat other members with respect. There will be no bashing of other members or their ideas. If you disagree with somone please do so without condescension or bickering.
2. Staff reserves the right to ban members from this thread either permanently or temporarily if we feel they are not following these rules. You will be given a warning via owl or via official warning points before you are asked to leave the thread.

The Official Staff Monitor for this thread is Nicole.. If you have any questions about the thread or would like to discuss a specific problem please owl them directly. Please be aware that other staff members will also be monitoring this thread. If you are warned by another staff member, as always contact them directly or contact an Admin.

This thread is for asking Americans simple questions like what time do you eat dinner, what do you study in school etc.

Questions on American politics (other than simple logisticial questions like how do elections take place or what it the Supreme Court) belong in one of the many discussions about Americans in the DoIMC

And begin :)

MartyMcFly May 21st, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Questions for the Americans v3.

WHO IS THE LUCKY DUCK WHO IS GOING TO RADIO CITY HALL ON AUGUST 1ST AT 7:30PM ???????????????????????????????????
and who is getting the 100 dollars tickets?
You are SO SO LUCKY!
I might go but will only get the $12 tickets :grumble:

Pox Voldius May 22nd, 2006 6:12 am

^ Not me, I'm broke! :(

Though, in response to something that was in the last version of this thread,
Re: what I meant when I questioned whether the rain in Los Angeles even qualifies as water....

Yes, I was indeed referring to the air pollution.

There is so much **** [BYO four-letter word] in the air in Los Angeles, that when it rains, it makes your car dirtier than it was before, rather than cleaning it! (In fact, there's a car wash in Downtown Los Angeles that gives you these little coupon tickets when you go there to get your car washed that say something to the effect of "if your car is soiled by rain within so many days of this wash, you may return for a free wash")

There is so much stuff in the air here, that in the last two parking garages that I regularly parked my car in, I only had to leave it there for TWO DAYS before there would be a noticeable film of dust on it! (at which point I learned to keep a pile of rags in my trunk so that I'd always have one on hand to wipe off my windows with)

My friends and I sometimes joke that the smokers are probably breathing healthier air than the rest of us in Los Angeles. :wow:

...Hence my doubts as to whether our rain can really be called "water". :no:

Sharky May 22nd, 2006 3:18 pm

I have a few questions! :D

1. What is the legal age that people can smoke?
2. Do you really have 'cut' days at school where kids can skive off if they want to and not get in trouble?!
3. Are all the houses in America really big? (I know this is a weird question but I'm basing it on all the American sitcoms/programmes/films I've watched! :lol: Even in shows like Extreme Home Makeovers (or whatever it's called!), some families are living in almost poverty or 'cramped' houses yet their houses are still bigger than mine!)

dancechic1718 May 22nd, 2006 4:16 pm

question 1: you have to be 18 to buy tobacco products or smoke them
question 2: the only "approved" ditch day was senior ditch day though if you had to many absences the teachers would penalize you
question 3: I don't think all the houses are huge cause I've seen some pretty small ones but in the suburbs most houses are two stories at least from what i've seen

KarateGirl May 22nd, 2006 5:17 pm

Do you disect animals at school? In Britain we only do that until college (17/18) but I was once told you do that in school.
Thanks!

hermy_weasley2 May 22nd, 2006 5:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Do you disect animals at school? In Britain we only do that until college (17/18) but I was once told you do that in school.
Thanks!

It depends on the school and the classes you take, but I dissected a frog in seventh grade (12) and a fetal pig in ninth grade (14). If you really object to it, as in more than just be grossed out, you aren't forced to do it. I don't know how other school do that though.

KarateGirl May 22nd, 2006 5:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2
It depends on the school and the classes you take, but I dissected a frog in seventh grade (12) and a fetal pig in ninth grade (14). If you really object to it, as in more than just be grossed out, you aren't forced to do it. I don't know how other school do that though.

A fetal pig? Is that a whole pig??? What do you have to do, find the heart or something??
Cheers again!

Pox Voldius May 22nd, 2006 5:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky
I have a few questions! :D

1. What is the legal age that people can smoke?
2. Do you really have 'cut' days at school where kids can skive off if they want to and not get in trouble?!
3. Are all the houses in America really big? (I know this is a weird question but I'm basing it on all the American sitcoms/programmes/films I've watched! :lol: Even in shows like Extreme Home Makeovers (or whatever it's called!), some families are living in almost poverty or 'cramped' houses yet their houses are still bigger than mine!)

2. We had an UN-official, but traditional, "Senior Skip Day" at my high school. [Senior year being the year you graduate from high school.] Word would buzz around, and all of the seniors would know which day had been designated Senior Skip Day, and a good many of them would skip going to school that day just because. But it wasn't endorsed by the teachers, so it counted as any other unexcused absence (I believe we were allowed 3 in any given term before it would affect our grades in class).

3. No, there are also some really small one-story one-bedroom houses with no basements and no attics....but it really depends on which part of which town or city you're living in...for example, Bellflower, in the Long Beach area (south of Los Angeles, but in the same county), in California, has a lot of small one-story one- and two- bedroom houses, occupied by families who can't afford to live in Los Angeles; while around Adams Blvd. in the middle of L.A., near the USC campus, there are a lot of huge old Victorian houses with two or three floors and no A/C, and a lot of those are owned by landlords and have the individual rooms rented out to students from USC; while in richer parts of L.A. you have huge new homes that cost upwards of $1,000,000 to buy.

Also, you're less likely to see small house interiors on TV shows, especially traditional multi-camera sitcoms, because you need a lot of space to put the camera and sound crews...among other reasons... (like what the producers and studio & network execs think people do and don't want to watch on TV :rolleyes: )

Quote:

A fetal pig? Is that a whole pig??? What do you have to do, find the heart or something??
Cheers again!

A fetal pig would be a pig fetus (i.e. a baby pig in the developmental state just before birth...I would assume these would be pigs that are born prematurely, but I don't know...)

I never had to dissect a pig in school. But we did have to dissect a very large earthworm (the kind that people in the Midwest might call a "nightcrawler") and a frog...it was either in 7th or 9th grade, I can't remember which, but people who strongly objected to it were allowed to sit out....basically, you cut open whatever it is you're dissecting, and try to identify the different organs that your biology teacher tells you to look for.

hermy_weasley2 May 22nd, 2006 5:55 pm

Quote:

Cheers again!

Like Pox Voldius sadi,it wasn't fully grown pig, but I really don't know where the school gets them. Anyway, we had a set of instructions with the frog and the pig, but I don't remember those either :lol: I do remember that if we got the pig's brain out whole, we got extra credit :D.

granger1019 May 22nd, 2006 5:57 pm

Quote:

A fetal pig would be a pig fetus (i.e. a baby pig in the developmental state just before birth...I would assume these would be pigs that are born prematurely, but I don't know...)
They are actually baby pigs not born yet whose mother was, sadly, butchered before they were born. We have to disect them in Biology as a sophmore, I believe. We have no choice, otherwise we dont pass that unit, I believe.

Sharky May 22nd, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks very much for answering my questions dancechic1718 and Pox Voldius! I have another (rather pointless) question! What are the names of some of the major supermarket chains? I only know one I think! :lol:

granger1019 May 22nd, 2006 6:42 pm

Quote:

Thanks very much for answering my questions dancechic1718 and Pox Voldius! I have another (rather pointless) question! What are the names of some of the major supermarket chains? I only know one I think! :lol:

Well, we have Wal-Mart, Sams Club, HyVee, and Fareway, just to name the local ones. I dont know if Dollar General and the Family Dollar fit into there, too...

hugemuggle995 May 22nd, 2006 7:07 pm

walmart and Sam's club are part owned by the same company i think cuz they were both started by sam walton. we have Target, and Walgreens to ad on to that list

Dawa Lhamo May 22nd, 2006 7:19 pm

Quote:

Thanks!

At my school (a state school) we dissected frogs in 7th grade (12/13 yrs old), and I took Advanced Biology my senior year (17/18 yrs old) and we dissected fetal pigs. If I'd taken it a year earlier or if I'd taken Anatomy and Physiology, I could have dissected something that year (16/17 yrs old).

It really depends on the school. More and less advanced schools will do things differently.

Our High School is somewhat like British college, though. (Our colleges are really universities--- those with the name "university" tend to have more funding for research and more focus on graduate level education as well.)

Quote:

well nevermind... we went to the same kind of school, I suppose. ^_^

Quote:

Like Pox Voldius sadi,it wasn't fully grown pig, but I really don't know where the school gets them. Anyway, we had a set of instructions with the frog and the pig, but I don't remember those either :lol: I do remember that if we got the pig's brain out whole, we got extra credit :D.

Same here. I remember the bio teacher said that the fetal pigs we got were leftover from the slaughterhouse or something. I don't know how you can not know that a pig is pregnant until you've already killed it for food, but there you are. ^_^

Quote:

I have another (rather pointless) question! What are the names of some of the major supermarket chains? I only know one I think! :lol:

Supermarket chains tend to be somewhat regional. Generally they're only in a particular state or bi-state/tri-state region, though sometimes they're scattered over more areas. Here's a list of supermarket chains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superma..._United_States

I wouldn't really think of Walmart as a "supermarket" per se. It's really a discount department store, in that it has several different departments (camping, automotive, electronics, shoes, clothing, etc.) within the one store. Regular Walmart's have a small (relatively) food section, while Super-Walmarts will have a full supermarket inside as well as the regular departments. These, too, vary.

Sam's Club is a wholesale version, but there definitely is more focus on food items (though you can buy furniture, appliances, jewelry, books and stuff there, too.) You could call it a wholesale supermarket, I suppose. Costco is basically the same thing, but a different company.

Target is a discount department store along the same lines as Walmart (though I like their food section better at Target)... Walgreens is somewhere between just a drug-store and a department store. They are smaller and only have certain items. They don't really sell clothes, but they have some food, and a lot of cosmetic-type products.

little_kitty May 22nd, 2006 8:17 pm

The only dissecting I ever did was an owl pellet (owls regurgitate what they can't digest) and the earthworm. I guess I just got lucky!

BublGumPnkHar May 22nd, 2006 8:23 pm

Quote:

I have another (rather pointless) question! What are the names of some of the major supermarket chains? I only know one I think! :lol:

In the Southeast, the big chains are Publix, Pantry Pride, Winn Dixie (though now they are hanging on by their fingernails), and Albertson's.

There are other local supermarket chains that usually encompass 3-7 stores and are usually very popular for their more personalized service (especially local produce and goods).

I know in our city of over 100,000 inhabitants, we have no Super Wal-Mart or Target to buy food at, unless you just want snack foods. Publix is definitely the big dog here.

Every once in a while (while travelling) you'll see an A&P Food Store or an IGA but they are few and far between, usually long established and in an sparsley populated or remote area (these two used to be the top National chains).

hugemuggle995 May 22nd, 2006 8:48 pm

oh yeah i forgot to mention publix

Claire_13 May 22nd, 2006 9:05 pm

Why is YOUR alphabet song in the same tune as OUR Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? No I'm serious!

Infact, why did you just sing it out loud or in your head?:rotfl:

Pox Voldius May 22nd, 2006 9:08 pm

Two other grocery stores in Iowa include Eagle and Aldi (though, Aldi is a smaller, discount place).

Grocery store chains in Southern California include Ralphs, Vons, Food-4-Less, Superior (which I like to call "Inferior Hours", because they set up shop by the USC campus and then had these "fall hours" where they closed at 10pm and didn't open again until 7am, when they had stated that they would try to cater to the student & local populations, and when the grocery store they were replacing had been open from 6am to 1am!), Albertsons, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's