Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Once Upon A Time (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=130525)

phoenix45 October 31st, 2011 2:08 am

Once Upon A Time

Has anyone else been watching this new series on ABC? What did you think?

My personal thoughts are that it is an interesting show--definitely nothing else I know of on tv like it right now. I've always loved fairy tales and really like how the shows are mixing the old tales with the modern world.

Let's hear your thoughts!

RikuStark October 31st, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Once Upon A Time

I LOVE this new show. I had some iffy thoughts on it when I was the trailer, but I knew anything involving fairy-tales would be awesome. So far, I have yet to be disappointed with this show. It's fantastic.

decarus October 31st, 2011 5:15 am

The second episode was much better then the first. I am still a wait and see on this one.

TaafeMJ October 31st, 2011 1:20 pm

I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it. I wasn't expecting much, but heard it was worth checking out. I'm engrossed in the real-world story (not so much yet in the fairy-tale one). I thought the casting was well done, especially the Evil Queen and Emma. The CGI though was distractingly bad, especially in the first episode. I'm hoping they leave most of that out from now on.

Spacecadet October 31st, 2011 2:02 pm

I was a bit iffy on this one, I didnt know what to expect going in. I really liked the first episode but didnt like the second episode as much. I do like the premise for the show and I love henry i think he's a very cute and intelligent little kid. :)

Fury October 31st, 2011 6:27 pm

I fell in love with this show right from the beginning. I am so pleased it is doing so well in the ratings. I will definitely be watching this every week, and hope it survives long enough for more seasons. It will definitely survive for the whole first season.

Absolutely love Snow White and Prince Charming's portrayal in this. Emma's great too. Henry might take a bit to get used to. I love seeing all the characters, and hope we see a lot more!

alwaysme October 31st, 2011 6:41 pm

I set my DVR to record this for my daughter but I am finding that I actually like it. Robert Carlyles portrayal as Rumplestiltskin has really made the show for me. :)

decarus October 31st, 2011 6:49 pm

I hope they don't hold out too long on Emma believing Henry because that could become frustrating especially when we already know that what he is saying is true. I don't quite understand why the evil queen adopted him if she didn't know that Emma was his mother. There should be a story behind that.

TaafeMJ November 1st, 2011 12:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by decarus (Post 5918014)
I hope they don't hold out too long on Emma believing Henry because that could become frustrating especially when we already know that what he is saying is true. I don't quite understand why the evil queen adopted him if she didn't know that Emma was his mother. There should be a story behind that.

I'm reading between the lines here, because I don't think it was explicitly said, but the queen and Rumpelstiltskin (as Mr. Gold) had a brief mention of that. I think Mr. Gold said that he procured the child for her. What I got out of it was that the Mayor/Queen asked Mr. Gold to find a child, but didn't specify any single child. Mr. Gold, having at least part of his knowledge of his time as Rumpelstiltskin (another presumption on my part), found Emma's child. Remember, giving him someone's name gives him power, and Snow White gave him Emma's name. I think he either knows, more or less, how this is going to play out, or he has a specific way he wants it to play out, and is moving chess pieces into place to make sure that happens. Either way, he's the most intriguing character on the show so far.

decarus November 1st, 2011 1:25 am

That makes sense. Clearly i wasn't paying attention properly while watching this show. I remember that scene now.

TaafeMJ November 2nd, 2011 2:15 am

So who does everybody match up with between the fairytale world and the real world? Most are pretty obvious:

Wicked Queen - Regina/Mayor
Snow White - Mary Blanchard/Teacher
Prince Charming - John Doe/Coma Patient
Jiminy Cricket - Archie Hopper/Psychologist
Emma (Snow White's Daughter) - Emma Swan
Rumpelstiltskin - Mr. Gold

But there's some I'm not quite sure on yet.

Sheriff Graham - Who is he? The Huntsman?
Henry Mills - Does he have a fairytale equal?
Granny/The Innkeeper - Who's she? Red Riding Hood's grandmother?

I'm assuming they're going to go mostly by Disney fairytales, since it's an ABC show. We've seen Snow White (obviously), Pinocchio, and Sleeping Beauty for sure...any others?

RikuStark November 2nd, 2011 2:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaafeMJ (Post 5919107)
So who does everybody match up with between the fairytale world and the real world? Most are pretty obvious:

Wicked Queen - Regina/Mayor
Snow White - Mary Blanchard/Teacher
Prince Charming - John Doe/Coma Patient
Jiminy Cricket - Archie Hopper/Psychologist
Emma (Snow White's Daughter) - Emma Swan
Rumpelstiltskin - Mr. Gold

But there's some I'm not quite sure on yet.

Sheriff Graham - Who is he? The Huntsman?
Henry Mills - Does he have a fairytale equal?
Granny/The Innkeeper - Who's she? Red Riding Hood's grandmother?

I'm assuming they're going to go mostly by Disney fairytales, since it's an ABC show. We've seen Snow White (obviously), Pinocchio, and Sleeping Beauty for sure...any others?

I heard that Cinderella will be in this too.

How about that one girl with the red streak in her hair? Red riding hood? (I'm only saying that because of the red in her hair. :rotfl: )

I don't think Henry has a fairytale equal.

Fury November 2nd, 2011 2:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 5919132)

How about that one girl with the red streak in her hair? Red riding hood? (I'm only saying that because of the red in her hair. :rotfl: )

The girl with "Grandma" at the inn is RedRiding hood.
And yes, the owner of the inn is Red Riding Hood's grandmother.

Henry doesn't have an equal, he's just Emma's son/Snow White's grandson. Though the Evil Queen's father's name was Henry, which explains why Regina named him Henry.

Also Grumpy was the person in jail when Emma was in jail in the pilot. And Gepetto was the jail guard.

decarus November 2nd, 2011 3:40 am

Yeah. I definitely thought that the girl was red riding hood and that was her grandmother.

I like the idea that the cop is the huntsman or something along those lines.

jordmundt6 November 2nd, 2011 12:36 pm

This is a little too psychadelic and slow for me. I gave it a whirl. I might try to catch up with past episodes later, but the pilot didn't grab me.

Spacecadet November 2nd, 2011 2:44 pm

I agree I think the sheriff might be the huntsman since he's doing the evil queens bidding but even in the end the huntsman betrays the queen and brings her the heart of a pig instead of snow white's and I think the sheriff is already showing more tendency to help emma then the queen.

I also dont think henry has a conterpart, I believe he's the catalyst to put things back in order, and also represents that child like innocence and belief that is required to make these characters come to life.

TaafeMJ November 2nd, 2011 11:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacecadet (Post 5919340)
I agree I think the sheriff might be the huntsman since he's doing the evil queens bidding but even in the end the huntsman betrays the queen and brings her the heart of a pig instead of snow white's and I think the sheriff is already showing more tendency to help emma then the queen.

I also dont think henry has a conterpart, I believe he's the catalyst to put things back in order, and also represents that child like innocence and belief that is required to make these characters come to life.

Hmm...I kind of like the idea that Henry represents "us", or "the child reader". I hadn't thought of that.

Fury November 7th, 2011 2:38 am

Loved tonight's episode. I just love Snow White and Prince Charming -- ahem -- James (as we learned tonight) so much, and I love their real world identities too.

Ugh, I really don't like that blonde Kathryn woman... I really hope she's just somebody the mayor brought in and she's posing as the wife.

Do you think David Anders' character (the doctor) is a storybook character? He probably is, right? I wonder who.

Can't wait for next week's episode! Cinderella! YAY!

Spacecadet November 7th, 2011 2:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fury (Post 5923562)
Loved tonight's episode. I just love Snow White and Prince Charming -- ahem -- James (as we learned tonight) so much, and I love their real world identities too.

Ugh, I really don't like that blonde Kathryn woman... I really hope she's just somebody the mayor brought in and she's posing as the wife.

Do you think David Anders' character (the doctor) is a storybook character? He probably is, right? I wonder who.

Can't wait for next week's episode! Cinderella! YAY!

I agree I loved the back story between snow and charming/james, and that it wasnt the traditional fairy tale version. Im still trying to figure out who david anders character is supposed to represent, but obviously someone who supports the queen. maybe one of her men? I thought i had it figured out who kathryn was i thought she was cinderella but after next week's preview thats when we get her, so im a little confused as to who the former wife/possible wife(hey im still holding out that he leaves that witch at the alter) is. She must be one of the evil step sisters or something.

I really loved ginnfer goodwin's performance in this episode both as the teacher and snow white, it was much much better.

snow and charming are so cute! love the back story!

Fury November 7th, 2011 3:12 pm

People on the IMDB board for the show think David Anders' character could possibly be the Big Bad Wolf, judging by the fact that he seemed to have a fancy for Ruby (Red Riding Hood).