Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Cloak (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Are we too old for Harry Potter? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=112034)

MollyWheezes September 14th, 2007 11:21 pm

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Has any older readers been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !

arithmancer September 15th, 2007 12:38 am

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Yup! :)

DJkeep September 15th, 2007 12:41 am

No one is too old for Harry Potter.

8m57w6 September 15th, 2007 12:42 am

I'm not even over 16, and I've been told I'm too old for HP!!! I've been told that it's just a kids book, and is so predictable, and that it's not really all that complex, and that before each book comes out, Jo has to re-build her fanbase, because most of the people who liked it grew up and moved on. However, all of this was said to me by someone who didn't know what a fan I really am, and it took everything I had not to go into full blown fan mode on them. But I completely agree. I don't think there is an age limit on these books, and anyone who says there is probably hasn't actually read them.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 15th, 2007 12:42 am

So isn't, but I'm only twelve, who cares, and besides, there are two swear words in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so, not really a childrens book.

lil_snuffles September 15th, 2007 12:43 am

Of course I have, but I just tell them, "Read the book for yourself and you will understand why I like it so much." I got one of my best friends to read the books. She used to say that Harry Potter was childish. She's now on book 5 and she loves them.

Ronny September 15th, 2007 12:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyWheezes (Post 4776539)
Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !

"Get a life"? What does that even mean? It's like a stock phrase that's applied to anyone others see as inferior. Because reading is so wrong...:grumble:
In any case, no one has told me I'm too old for Harry Potter. Considering I have already read stuff like The Iliad and The Prince I think I can make an informed decision about what I like. And these books are not for children. Torture, bigotry, tyranny, murder and spiritual perversion. A right old bedtime story if ever I heard one.
"Get a life"? They say that to you? Not only ignorant but deeply hurtful. You need to set them straight.

Mrscole September 15th, 2007 12:47 am

I have been told that also and simply reply, "So I'm a child at heart, but I've you read the books I'm sure you'll change your mind, I'll let you borrow my books if you'd like"
I'm 56

DJkeep September 15th, 2007 12:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronny (Post 4776674)
And these books are not for children. Torture, bigotry, tyranny, murder and spiritual perversion. A right old bedtime story if ever I heard one.

Alright lets not get carried away now. You're making it sound a lot worse than it is..

Ronny September 15th, 2007 12:58 am

Um...no, I'm not. It really is that bad.

DJkeep September 15th, 2007 1:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronny (Post 4776703)
Um...no, I'm not. It really is that bad.

It is getting a bit carried away. No one would be reading the books if that was all it is about.

Linuxman September 15th, 2007 1:06 am

I'm 23 and don't really discuss harry potter to anyone unless I know they are a fellow fan. Most people where I'm from would call you names for reading the books.

frances0122 September 15th, 2007 1:11 am

No one would be too old to read HP. Actually I always think that people at different ages will draw different conclusions, and have different understandings on it.
But no matter how old we are, we all enjoy it:)

final September 15th, 2007 1:13 am

ive started reading when i was 6 and now im 13 it took me 7 yrs and in those 7yrs no one said it was a kids book to me though some teachers did and said we should read stuff our grade level but never our age and yeah i agree with u frances0122

Ronny September 15th, 2007 1:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJkeep (Post 4776708)
It is getting a bit carried away. No one would be reading the books if that was all it is about.

I never said the books were all about that. But people judge the target audience of a book based on its content do they not? And in the Deathly Hallows, the first chapter no less, Voldemort kills a character and then invites his pet snake to devour the corpse. There are show trials based on blood purity. Fenrir Greyback makes some rather lurid comments.
No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book. And thus, the argument that any of us could be "too old" to enjoy reading the series is groundless, offensive, narrow-minded and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.

Redhart September 15th, 2007 1:15 am

Well, I'll be 48 next month and I think they're wonderful. I have several friends (ages 41, 43, 61) and my little sister (age 42) who love the books and read them avidly. In almost all cases we got these books (and our obsession) from our children bringing them home. Two of the people mentioned are published writers who know well written when they read it.

Who says an old dog can't learn young tricks for the youngsters!

If someone really is that interested in what I read and wishes to judge it without reading the books themselves, perhaps it is not "I" who needs a life.

One of the perks of being of the "older" set is most of us just don't care what the other people think anymore and have learned to be true to our own opinions and judgements.

For those young people who have been captured by Harry Potter...Yay! :clap:...and for those who handed me a copy, the deepest thanks :)

DJkeep September 15th, 2007 1:17 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronny (Post 4776730)
I never said the books were all about that. But people judge the target audience of a book based on its content do they not? And in the Deathly Hallows, the first chapter no less, Voldemort kills a character and then invites his pet snake to devour the corpse. There are show trials based on blood purity. Fenrir Greyback makes some rather lurid comments.
No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book. And thus, the argument that any of us could be "too old" to enjoy reading the series is groundless, offensive, narrow-minded and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.

Fair play, but Jo writes it all in a way that does not make it stand out so plainly..

Redhart September 15th, 2007 1:22 am

The books have grown in maturity along with the characters within. That being said, I have two 11 yr old twins that I read book 7 to and they understood it just fine. Like any book and children, parents should help determine what books are right for each child....even in children's books.

There are most certainly books they would not be given to read yet by me, but Deathly Hallows would not be one of them. Provocative? Yes...not necessarily a bad thing as long as there is guidance and discussion ...especially if parents are getting involved in that. It can be a very healthy thing.

BelleSnowyOwl September 15th, 2007 1:26 am

No, I've never been told I'm too old. I know many adults (aunts and uncles, bosses, teachers) who also read HP; and it's nice to discuss it with them. :D

nikkiq September 15th, 2007 1:35 am

It's been hinted at... but I've been reading HP since I was 13; I grew up with the series! I wasn't going to just stop reading now was I?!?!

frances0122 September 15th, 2007 1:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linuxman (Post 4776714)
I'm 23 and don't really discuss harry potter to anyone unless I know they are a fellow fan. Most people where I'm from would call you names for reading the books.

Yes. I'm 20 now. Most of my family members and friends don't read HP and worse, they always tend to misjudge it. But how can you know what it's like when you never read a chapter? That's prejudice.:no:

grim12mauld September 15th, 2007 1:47 am

I started reading the books in college, and got completely hooked. The only people who give me that look that says "I can't believe you like Harry Potter" are people who haven't read them. I've personally never met anyone who has read the books and not liked them. I know a lot of people my age (24) who love them, and I don't really think of them as childrens' books, not since the 4th or 5th one. There's a lot of mature subject matter and ideas found in the books, and I don't mean that in a risque' sort of way, just that there are things adults can gleam from the books that children can't comprehend yet.

And why shouldn't adults love Harry Potter? It's (unfortunately) rare that a book series comes along that has an amazingly-detailed plot spanning 7 books, interesting characters, an original world, and great story-telling.

Fawkesfan1 September 15th, 2007 1:52 am

Heck no... I started to read it when I was in my teens and I just got done reading the last one in my 20's... to me age is nothing more than a state of mind :p.

I love to read books that are escapism... it helps to fuel my own imagination :).

PotterGurl08 September 15th, 2007 1:55 am

Harry Potter has no age limit, even though plenty of people think so. Unfortunately, in the US, it has been labeled as a 'children's book'. But it by no means is limitted to children.
I mean, look at the books in the UK...they come out with two editions of it: the 'childrens' edition and the 'adult' edition (which is the same exact book, just with a different cover to make it look more adult-like). Several countries do this, so that alone shows that it isn't just a kids reading it.

I'm 21 and I love Harry Potter and am not ashamed of it. :cool:
My mom reads it, my 28-year old cousin reads it, plenty of my mom's co-workers read it, my 30-something year old aunt reads it...
In fact, last year at my school, there was a Harry Potter night where they played movies 1-4. And I'm in college! So, HP is fairly popular on college campuses...

The way I see it, HP go labeled as a children's book because when it first came out, it was a book about an 11 year-old kid. The recommended reading age was 9-12. Well, those 9-12 year olds who started reading HP when it first came out are 19-22 year olds now. So it cannot hardly be considered as only a kid's book anymore. So those people who claim we're too old clearly have never read the books before and just do not know what they're missing.

Leon_Lionheart September 15th, 2007 2:28 am

The day I grow too old for Harry Potter is the day Elvis Presley goes public to announce that he didn't die, he jus' went home... :D

Celebrith September 15th, 2007 2:40 am

I'm 28 (or will be in 2 weeks) and I just finished reading the entire series over again, and had planned on reading GoF again. I also have the first three PC games, which I've been playing quite a bit lately. My Dad (who will be 63 in October) is reading OotP, and my sister who is 11 years older than me also plays my PC games, so I don't think anyone is too old to read/watch/play Harry Potter. ;)

HedwigOwl September 15th, 2007 3:27 am

Quote:

Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !

I'm....er....older.... than you are, and have read all the books several times (I also read books 1-6 just before book 7 came out, so that I'd remember more details! Most of my friends wouldn't understand that, to be sure).

I don't think there's any age limit to HP, the story has universal archetypal themes. If memory serves, I believe that JKR didn't write it as a children's book, it was the publisher who suggested Book 1 be marketed as a children's book.

I'll always be grateful to my nephew (he's 16 now), who was so enthusiastic in telling me about the series when I bought GoF for him -- I hadn't read any HP books at that point. I wanted to be able to discuss it with him, so I started reading....and was immediately pulled in by the characters, story, incredible detail, creativity, wit and cleverness --- a remarkable series, a genius storyteller in JKR.

Redhart September 15th, 2007 3:58 am

Ohh...for the record, my hubby is an even bigger HP fan than I am. He had to get his own copy of all 7 books and insisted on buying the CD sets so he can listen on his way to work in the car---he's 52 :D

PrezLeefun September 15th, 2007 4:08 am

I'll be damned before I am told I am too old for all this fun.

FleurduJardin September 15th, 2007 4:38 am

Quote:

I totally agree, HP has no age limit. Actually, I think one can be too young for the latter HP books - they are dark and have reality hit the heroes hard (death of loved ones, betrayals, etc.) - but you're never too old. I actually think 16 is borderline for some of the stuff in HP, but I guess it is an age when it's good to learn about the dark side of life and people.

A good friend of mine wrote a magazine article titled "Thoughts of a middle-aged HP fan" (his editor wanted him to title it "Confessions of a middle-aged HP fan" but he refused, saying it was not a disease or anything to be ashamed of, thank you very much) that is very amusing and makes some very valid points on the universality of the HP world.

My husband (whom I got hooked) and I are well past forty, and we still read HP avidly. So go on, enjoy, never mind what your friends say. There IS a life outside of HP, we all live it. Why not take a break and immerse yourself in a world of fantasy?

Sorry if these thoughts have been expressed before. As usual I only read the first couple of posts before responding.

bmhsgirl191 September 15th, 2007 4:44 am

I am only 16, but both my parents, and my english tacher enjoy HP and i quite frequently get into conversations about it with them. Before the seventh book came out we'd discuss who we thought was gonna die and general plot points. I don't htink you can ever be too old for Harry Potter becasue there are people of all different ages in the Harry Potter books. I mean look at Nicholas Flamel, he was 665. So i think the age that one should be deemed too old for Harry Potter should be set at 665.

FleurduJardin September 15th, 2007 4:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HedwigOwl (Post 4776879)
If memory serves, I believe that JKR didn't write it as a children's book, it was the publisher who suggested Book 1 be marketed as a children's book.

I hadn't known that, that Jo didn't write it as "kiddie lit" books. I did find the series, especially from GoF on, not at all for younger children (though they do seem to enjoy it). And it was a friend past 60 who put me up to reading them, not the one I mention above, someone else. Up to then, I had dismissed HP as children's books and didn't bother. I didn't know what I was missing!

What irks me is that newspapers like the NY Times still won't put those books on the mainstream best-seller list, though they did review it. Not on the best-seller list when it outsold anything in sight and broke all the all-time records! :rolleyes:

bmhsgirl191 September 15th, 2007 4:46 am

Also, what many people don't realize is that if someone started reading the books the year the first one came out, then they would be a decade older now. I mean i have spent over half my life reading Harry Potter.

dazzel21 September 15th, 2007 4:49 am

im 23 and thankfully no one has told me yet that im too old for HP books (mostly because most of my friends are so into HP books too)...

but hey, i think no one is too old for those chaps who appreciates a well written book right?!

wickedwickedboy September 15th, 2007 5:39 am

I started reading them when I was young and DH came out when I was in law school...so I didn't expect many of my friends there to be into it. Imagine my surprise when I went to the midnight booksale and met up with three of my law school buddies there. We were all laughing because we had all been thinking the same thing, that no one in our law program would be reading them. But that only lasted about three minutes. We spent the rest of the time (about an hour and a half) discussing the series - it got pretty interesting when we started accusing and defending the characters actions with legal theories, lol.

They had all read from a young age too - I mean how can you stop reading in the middle of a series? I love fantasy/magical fiction though, I doubt I'll ever stop reading it as long as I live - especially any with werewolf/wolf lore in it.

saz September 15th, 2007 8:04 am

Like others have said, I don't think anyone is to old for Hp! Although you can be to young to read the last few books.

When I was linig up for book 7 I thought I'd be about the only person over about the age 15 (I'm 20) but infact the majority of the crowd were older. Yesterday I saw a guy in who must have been in his 30's or 40's reading OOTP. He must have been enjoying because he didn't want to put it down to even open the door. I read somewhere about the time DH came out that they think a huge reason why the books have remained so popular is because of the older fans.

phoenixcloud September 15th, 2007 9:32 am

:lol: No one is too old for HP. :) And sometimes, I just don't care if people tell me I've been too addicted to it.

MmeBergerac September 15th, 2007 10:11 am

I've sometimes been asked: Do you really like Harry Potter? It's a children's book! My answer is always the same: And? What's the matter? It's funny, I like it and it helps me with my English. Actually, people get usually more shocked about my reading it English (I'm not English-Speaker) than about my reading it at all. And there are more adult fans than you'd believe. Just yesterday, I saw a boy at college with the Deathly HAllows just before we got in for an exam.

Anyway, you read what you like and because you like it. If the rest of people don't like... Well, the worst for them. Personally, since I'm an adult, I've never let others to tell me what I can or can't read.

frances0122 September 15th, 2007 12:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 4777181)
I've sometimes been asked: Do you really like Harry Potter? It's a children's book! My answer is always the same: And? What's the matter? It's funny, I like it and it helps me with my English. Actually, people get usually more shocked about my reading it English (I'm not English-Speaker) than about my reading it at all. And there are more adult fans than you'd believe. Just yesterday, I saw a boy at college with the Deathly HAllows just before we got in for an exam.

Anyway, you read what you like and because you like it. If the rest of people don't like... Well, the worst for them. Personally, since I'm an adult, I've never let others to tell me what I can or can't read.

Hi! I'm not an English-speaker either. I read the first 4 books in my native language when I was 14. And this year I read the later 3 ones in English version. Although I was still having some ?? occasionally but overall, I enjoyed it very much. I frequently recommend the original English version to my friends. The series is one of the few things in the world that help you improve your language while letting you have great fun at the meantime.

SuzieLovesSnape September 15th, 2007 1:19 pm

As an adult reader of Harry Potter, when I want to talk about the story I do this with my friends who are also reader of the books.

We don't feel that they are only childrens' books or that we are too old for them. Especially as the series progress, they are aimed at an older audience.

Maybe because I am a teacher, half the people I work with are adult readers of the series. And of course I also know plenty of child readers!

Morbius September 15th, 2007 2:01 pm

Well I have to say that I am part of the "older" crowd that has or is reading the Potter series. I have a few close friends who have read the series and always extolled the virtues of the books.

While I have seen all the movies up to this point and have them in my collection, I did not get into the books until recently which is rather odd as I am a voracious reader! I enjoy the escape the stories afford the reader. After dealing with all that comes along with an "adult" life, it is refreshing and a release to allow yourself to be absorbed into the world of Harry Potter. Nightly as I read the books I find myself wondering what is around the next corner (page).

I guess that now even I am "obsessed" with the story. It is hard to put them down for the evening and tell myself that I need to go to bed. I plan on doing a re-read once I get through DH as I am sure I've missed a few of the finer points of the ongoing plot.

Take care everyone............

Morbius

lanalynne September 15th, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm 24 and I love the books. So do many of my friends and my mother. So I'm not embarrassed about reading them.

I wouldn't call the books escapist though. I think thats a bit degrading. There is so much more to them than that. The key to well written fantasy literature, which I think HP is, is that it deals with sensitive and significant issues in a setting removed from the 'real' world, thus allowing readers to be less offended by the content. For example fantasy novels often deal very well with racism, genocide, etc. I think Jo is able to touch on serious issues in HP without getting people up in arms about them. Which makes the books so much more than escapism to me.

weasley_cat September 15th, 2007 2:52 pm

Well, I am 15 and have never been told that I am too old to read them, as most of my friends have and some of my older relatives.
I think it depends really. No-one in my family cares if I read books from the 8-12 section because I also read loads of adult books. Anyway, the great thing of the Harry Potter books is that they seem to have no age limit. I now read them on higher levels though than I did when I was seven.

SuzieLovesSnape September 15th, 2007 3:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by weasley_cat (Post 4777369)
Well, I am 15 and have never been told that I am too old to read them, as most of my friends have and some of my older relatives.

You definately don't need to worry about being to old and I doubt anyone will ever say it. When the books first came out you probably would nearly have been too young to read them.

astronomical598 September 15th, 2007 3:18 pm

i don't think anyone is too old for harry potter

JJFinch September 15th, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm not quite 16 yet (less than a week - yay!), but even among teenagers it's seen as "un-cool" to like HP. A friend of mine claims to have "out-grown" the books, which I think is bollocks. Some people don't like them and others do. I think it's very sad for people to think that you can't enjoy "children's" books when they get older, and I think it makes people seem insecure if they have to convince themselves that they are more mature. Anyway it's their loss and HP as a series isn't exclusively for children. Only the first and maybe second book in my opinion can be dubbed "children's books". If you're older - hell, read away!

moonfoot September 15th, 2007 5:06 pm

I just turned 17 in July about 2 days before Deathly Hallows and no one's ever told me I'm too old to read them at school or anywhere else. 3 or 4 of my friends who are my age also read the books and my mom, aunt and uncle and cousins all read the books as well. Even my Theatre Arts teacher and my English teacher both read the books and they're in their late 20's. I don't think you can ever be too old to read HP. My theatre teacher and I even discussed what we thought of book 7 after school started.

Greylorn September 15th, 2007 5:20 pm

I am 55 and enjoy them immensely. You are never too old to enjoy a well written and imaginative story.

DeathlyH September 15th, 2007 5:23 pm

There's no such thing as too old for Harry. I disagree very strongly with the New York Times' desicion to make a children's bestseller list. it's so ridiculous when more than half the fans here are adults that they're still considered "children's books. :(

Evil_Toast September 15th, 2007 5:37 pm

Heck no I'm not too old for Harry Potter. I started reading the series when I was 10 years old (I'm 15 now). I've read each book numerous times and I'll probably still be re-reading this epic series when I'm 50.

Sussudio September 15th, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm 23 and have been constantly asked, "Don't you think you're too old to be reading Harry Potter?". Which is a stupid question anyway because if I did think I was too old for them, I wouldn't have read them.
Of course not everyone is going to like the books, but I don't see why some people have to be rude about the fact a lot of people do like the books. It's not harming anyone and it's brought a lot of people together for chat and fun like on this site.
Besides, why shouldn't older people like some children's things? Heck, if I fancy going outside and playing hop-scotch by myself, who am I hurting?
I'd prefer to enjoy life as much as I can rather than simply sticking to doing what's currently cool.

Sile September 15th, 2007 5:58 pm

I have been told that I am too old. I'm currently 26 and I started reading the series shortly before OOTP was released but I don't care. I enjoy the series.

Redhart September 15th, 2007 7:24 pm

OOTP/The Lost Prophecy
"... Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young...and I seem to have forgotten lately..."

I read Harry Potter to remember what is was like to be young and not make the foolish mistakes of the old. Magic can be rekindled in an old heart and remind us what it took to bring us to this spot. Should more old men and women remember and rekindle, what better place might this world be?

lorna September 15th, 2007 7:47 pm

Too old for Harry Potter?

I guess I must too old for Alice in Wonderland...a book that get a re-read every year because it was the first book I fell in love with at a young age.

But I think it's naive to believe that an older reader isn't going to experience the story differently due to their longer life and more varied life experience.

griffiegrrl September 15th, 2007 7:53 pm

Any book, if it is written well, intelligently and as masterfully as Jo has written hers, has no age limit. There are "Children's" books my sister and I have read that are aimed at children we really like, because of the reasons stated above.

People tend to think that since HP is in the Children's section of the library/bookstore that it is specifically meant for children and is only on a child's mentality.

The Harry Potter books to me are very complex things; they are written so that a child can read and understand them (although if I had children younger than 11-12 I wouldn't let them read the last three just yet...might be too intense...) But so that adults and also appreciate the complexity and the deep emotions and realism throughout the books. I know it sounds silly to say that Harry Potter has "realism"; but besides the fantasy aspects the Characters interactions and emotions and conflicts are extremely true to life.

So to sum up: No, nobody is too old for Harry Potter. And those who say so either hasn't read them, or can't appreciate a good book for what it is.

unconvinced September 15th, 2007 9:33 pm

I know for a fact that pretty much everyone in my year in school read DH over the summer, so I'd have to say no.

Moriath September 15th, 2007 9:46 pm

I don't question my addiction to HP. :yuhup:

hermy_weasley2 September 15th, 2007 9:56 pm

I started reading HP when I was 11 and I decided then I'd finish the series no matter how old I was when it ended. Of course, back then I thought 20 was "old."

No, I've never been told I was too old. Crazy yes, old no.

All of the people I've met who think Harry Potter is just for kids have never read the books.

DeathlyH September 15th, 2007 10:00 pm

My 70 year-old Grandpa loves Harry Potter. i think that sums it up, no questions asked. If you're under seventy, you can love Harry Potter. If you're over seventy you can STILL like Harry. yay! :)

Redhart September 15th, 2007 10:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathly721 (Post 4777860)
My 70 year-old Grandpa loves Harry Potter. i think that sums it up, no questions asked. If you're under seventy, you can love Harry Potter. If you're over seventy you can STILL like Harry. yay! :)

Hear! Hear! For your Grandpa!!

There was another poster elsewhere on the forum that spoke of her 90 year old grandmother who also reads Harry Potter, and thought Dumbledore was "hot"!
:rotfl:
I just love that.

DeathlyH September 15th, 2007 10:15 pm

A ninety year-old lady who thinks Dumby's "hot"? Now that's something I've never heard of before. :D

HedwigOwl September 15th, 2007 10:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleurduJardin (Post 4776965)
I hadn't known that, that Jo didn't write it as "kiddie lit" books. I did find the series, especially from GoF on, not at all for younger children (though they do seem to enjoy it). And it was a friend past 60 who put me up to reading them, not the one I mention above, someone else. Up to then, I had dismissed HP as children's books and didn't bother. I didn't know what I was missing!

What irks me is that newspapers like the NY Times still won't put those books on the mainstream best-seller list, though they did review it. Not on the best-seller list when it outsold anything in sight and broke all the all-time records! :rolleyes:

Actually, the history of "children's" tales, or as they of course became known later, "fairy tales", were never the kind, fluffy stories we find on book shelves today. I mean, just read the classic children's tales in any culture, they're fairly scary and brutal, and often deal with loss, cruelty and death. I agree there may be an age too young for some of those tales, including HP, but I find that most children are sophisticated beings who would have no problem with any of them.

And yes, the NY Times and those other papers irk me as well. Kind of uppity of them, isn't it?

Muggle_Magic September 15th, 2007 10:49 pm

Oh please... I'm sure the creators of this sites, Aurors, Unspeakables, etc. are all older than 16. I'm more than twice that. There are members here who are over (gasp) 50 years old. All those people have read the books, or they wouldn't be here. They certainly didn't feel they were too old.

Plus, after GoF, this was really not a children's books series any more. I learned recently that JKR never meant it to be, it was the publishers of the first book's decision.

DeathlyH September 15th, 2007 10:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic (Post 4777936)
Plus, after GoF, this was really not a children's books series any more. I learned recently that JKR never meant it to be, it was the publishers of the first book's decision.

I absolutely agree. The Harry Potter books are so, so, far from children's books.

PrivetHedge September 15th, 2007 11:47 pm

Quote:

I am 38 and no-one has ever called me a nutter for reading and liking the Harry Potter books.
Yeah, well, you collect plugs, don't you? Birds of a feather...
Sorry about that. Sometimes the cat gets at the keyboard when I have my back turned. Please ignore her. :relax:

I was first turned onto the books by my wife and my then 5-year-old cousin (who thought my wife was the slammin'est thing since velcro sneaker fasteners when he found out she knew all about Quidditch and Hagrid and the Sorting Hat). The first movie was on the TV the next day after that encounter - I was so impressed I started in on the books.

We then turned my mother onto the books. She hasn't gotten all the way through the series yet. She got a little bogged down when we bought her the Irish translation of Philosopher's Stone. Her Gaelic's a little rusty, but she's working through it side-by-side with an American print.

MaWeasley September 16th, 2007 3:47 am

I'm too old for a lot of things, but sitting in my rocking chair reading Harry Potter is something I find quite easy.

Not too many of my contemporaries are eager to discuss Harry Potter theories at length, unfortunately, but thank goodness I have all the wonderful minds of all ages here to share my obsession.

DocHollidaywe September 16th, 2007 5:15 am

There is no such thing as being to old to read any book really.

Sometime when I have some spare time I will open up a book I read as a small kid.

You are also never to old to be a big fan of anything! I am 21 and a proud HP fan!

Wright1771 September 16th, 2007 9:51 am

I'm 59, am I too old for Harry Potter?

mrchee September 16th, 2007 10:21 am

If you ever cared about what someone thought, you deserve your own self-doubt

sxcashtray September 16th, 2007 10:42 am

no because children dont tend to read books the size of bricks do they.
i thought dh was a bit gruesome in my 1st reading of it and im 18

LoonyMagic September 16th, 2007 11:44 am

I don't think so.

I'm positively delighted when I see or speak to adults reading Harry Potter. It makes me realise just how wonderful JKR is and how great her books are. They've reached to children as young as 5 and adults as old as 99. It's just extraordinary :D

magic_is_might September 16th, 2007 6:53 pm

I'm only 15 and i don't think i am too old for it (though i have been told by several people how childish i was for stilll liking them. I've grown up with HP for 9 years, and still am not tired of it :)

skrewtmaster September 16th, 2007 7:33 pm

My parents think I'm very sad to read and re-read the HP books and many people in my year say that it's sad (but they know rather alot about the books. hmmmm) but I don't care. I think that anyone can read and enjoy the books.

MollyWheezes September 16th, 2007 7:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 4778942)
My parents think I'm very sad to read and re-read the HP books and many people in my year say that it's sad (but they know rather alot about the books. hmmmm) but I don't care. I think that anyone can read and enjoy the books.

I dont think your parents think you are sad , if you asked them to read one or two of the books, then maybe they will understand what good reading they are. And as for your fellow students maybe they ,like most people in the world LOVE HARRY POTTER !(just in secret)

Dora_Tonks_2010 September 16th, 2007 8:40 pm

Noone is too old!! People tell my momma that she is too old for Harry Potter and she is only 36, and people tell me I'm too old and I just turned 16 yesterday!!! My grandmother especially!! Of course she doesn't like HP........

Lillbet September 17th, 2007 5:24 pm

Quote:

Has any older readers been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !

No. Why should teens and kids have the monopoly on fun and imagination? From time to time I get a little tired of the oversexed tripe that passes for entertainment these days (gratuitous sex does not equal plot, tyvm), and HP is a nice break. My friends don't want to talk about it or don't read the books, so I come here. If it makes you happy, who cares?

I think we had a thread for older readers before DH- not sure where that went, but it was nice. You're in good company. :)

Redhart September 17th, 2007 8:41 pm

You know, it's true. I've read a few "adult" books lately and was sadly disappointed in them. Give this middle-aged girl Harry Potter any day.

gertiekeddle September 17th, 2007 9:14 pm

Pretty obviously people of all age read and enjoy Harry Potter - and people with the most different background.

I don't think people are ever 'too old' for anything.

FleurduJardin September 17th, 2007 9:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4780110)
No. Why should teens and kids have the monopoly on fun and imagination? From time to time I get a little tired of the oversexed tripe that passes for entertainment these days (gratuitous sex does not equal plot, tyvm), and HP is a nice break. My friends don't want to talk about it or don't read the books, so I come here. If it makes you happy, who cares?

I think we had a thread for older readers before DH- not sure where that went, but it was nice. You're in good company. :)

Actually, there are some so-called adult (I mean mainstream) books that I do enjoy (no sex scenes, just good plots, good premises). But I agree Harry Potter is a nice break from the nitty-gritty. Not that there isn't realism and dark spots in HP but you know that it's an imaginary world, compared to, say, Richard North Patterson's passionate pleas on very adult themes like the death penalty (which doesn't seem to keep Voldemort from his sleep, if he does sleep, at least he has no qualms about it) or the Right to Choose and other such themes.

Yes I do remember a thread about "older readers" too. I haven't seen it lately, but there's been so much going around, I haven't really been looking for it. I hadn't even really looked at it when it was around, though it seemed interesting. Unfortunately we all have limited time for this, considering we all have careers to pursue, families to take care of, social obligations, etc.

I do love coming home from a hard day in the "outside world" and plunging back in HP, in book or dvd form. And I'm way past (do I dare say it?) 50!!!

Conclusion: No, definitely, nobody's too old for Harry Potter. Somebody set the limit at Nicholas Flamel's age (600+) Looks OK to me. ;)

LotusFawkes September 18th, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

I think anyone who thinks someone is too old to read the HP books are Muggles and have either forgotten or never knew about the magic of the imagination. Look at all the "old" people who went to see Star Wars and grew up on Star Trek.

accioluminos September 18th, 2007 4:12 am

You can never be too old for Potter.

Hermi0nechik92 September 18th, 2007 4:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8m57w6 (Post 4776667)
I'm not even over 16, and I've been told I'm too old for HP!!! I've been told that it's just a kids book, and is so predictable, and that it's not really all that complex, and that before each book comes out, Jo has to re-build her fanbase, because most of the people who liked it grew up and moved on. However, all of this was said to me by someone who didn't know what a fan I really am, and it took everything I had not to go into full blown fan mode on them. But I completely agree. I don't think there is an age limit on these books, and anyone who says there is probably hasn't actually read them.

"EAR'EAR'!" You have no idea how many times i've been told to get a life because of my slightly obsessive Harry Potter fandome! HAHA!! I love the books and I don't care what anybody else says. Some parts are somewhat predictable, but I think that you're still on the edge of your seat enough that the predictablaty is fine, and in the Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny things I like that it's predictable!
I also agree with the if they say that they've not read it YET.
I attend an art school, and every person who attends it loves it!!!
my uncles(50+) also read it along with all my cousins (22+)

CelestLBeing September 18th, 2007 4:43 am

I really don't think anyone is 'too old for Harry Potter'. It's a wonderful series that sparks the imagination. Any book that encourages so many people from so many walks of life to come together and share a bit of themselves is fit for most any age.

mariebeth83 September 18th, 2007 7:33 am

I'm 23 and I've sometimes been looked at stupidly because I've read Harry Potter and am quite obsessed! But i've met lots of older people who loves the books as well - there's a woman in the office i'm working in who is on her 4th read of DH!

So, no I don't think you're ever too old for Harry Potter as long as you enjoy the books. So stay true to your love of all things Harry Potter :love:

padfoot181 September 18th, 2007 11:11 am

No one is too old for HP, I know I never will be.
I am only twelve, and I already have people telling me to get a life or calling me a baby for reading it.

IMissPadfoot September 18th, 2007 12:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by accioluminos (Post 4780814)
You can never be too old for Potter.

Agreed! I wasn't exactly a child when I started reading the books though! :lol: I don't think you can put on age on something like this - if you get enjoyment from reading HP, it doesn't matter how old you are! :D

padfootrules September 18th, 2007 3:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot (Post 4781117)
Agreed! I wasn't exactly a child when I started reading the books though! :lol: I don't think you can put on age on something like this - if you get enjoyment from reading HP, it doesn't matter how old you are! :D

You couldn't have put it any better! :agree:. There can be no limit to enjoy life and to enjoy books like Harry Potter. I love the series more today than I did the first time I read it some ten years ago! I grew up with these books... I will never ever be ashamed to proclaim my love for Sirius!!!!

juliette September 18th, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm 26 and I dont' think I'm too old at all.

I have a friend at church who's like in her fifties and she said she had a friend who is a huge fan, she says she read them and like them

and when I was sitting in Panera Bread reading HBP again the other day a lady that looked like she was in her fifties or sixties came up to me and was like Oohhh I love those books, and preceded to ask me had I finished the series and what did I think, so I don't think they have an age limit.

SeverusSnapefan September 18th, 2007 4:47 pm

i was told by my family a couple of years ago when the 6th book came out that i was getting to old to read it!
i was like..."it's a series of books i can't stop reading now!"
they haven't said it since.
i love them anyway,so i don't really care if anyone thinks i am to old for them.
who says they have to just be for kids?
you can never be to old in my opinion.if you enjoy it you should carry on! age is no barrier!

i even got my aunt into reading them and she is 48! :)

fernajen September 19th, 2007 4:19 pm

Your never to old for Harry Potter. My grandpa has read (and likes) all of them and he is 73.

Indy_Racer September 19th, 2007 5:04 pm

No one is too old to be entertained and that is exactly what the Harry Potter series does!

For the record I'm 39 years old and didn't start reading the books until I was in my late 20's.

HMN September 19th, 2007 9:34 pm

My favorite thing after the release of DH was noticing all the grown-ups commuting to work on the New York City subway noses deep in their books, or seeing people walking around on the sidewalk while reading. None of these people were kids, and clearly none of them could put the book down.

I think Jo said it best when she said that she writes things that she'd want to read. And as Stephen King said, the Harry books are basically ageless because Harry continues to grow up through the series. If we were constantly reading about an 11 year old, maybe the books would stay books for 11 year olds. But Harry grows and matures and takes on the tasks and responsibilities of an adult.

GinnyWPotter September 19th, 2007 9:57 pm

I am a Harry Potter fanatic...my screen saver at work is an image of Harry Potter Trading Cards!!! I love the image and when people ask I proudly tell them it is Harry Potter and I stick out my tongue like a truly grown-up 22 year old when they poke fun at me!

RonsGryfBaby September 19th, 2007 10:14 pm

I've been told plenty of times that i'm too old to be reading Harry Potter and I'm only seventeen! In back-up for my argument, however, I say "Well if I'm too old for Harry Potter, then that's saying that we're all too old to celebrate Halloween or Christmas but we still do" or I tell them I know plenty of people way older than me (ie: my english teachers) who love Harry Potter.

No one is ever EVER too old for something as long as they love it. The moment you stop loving whatever you are "too old" for, however, then yes, you are too old.

Badgers_Rule September 20th, 2007 11:59 pm

Im 42 and could careless what people think, I love the Harry Potter series and I will keep reading them as long as I am breathing.

leah49 September 21st, 2007 12:56 am

No one's too old to read Harry Potter as has been proven throughout this thread. I'm 25 and I love good children's literature, because I feel the themes and plots are just better than most of the "adult" literature. I do read stuff for my own age, but I'm not afraid to pick up a good piece of children's literature every now and then. Heck, back in college, I took every children's lit class offered. It was one of those classes that introduced me to Harry Potter!
I'm actually glad HP is classified as children's lit. If not, I think we'd be having the discussion on "Are we too young for Harry Potter" on a more serious level.

SMAC September 21st, 2007 3:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot (Post 4781117)

Totally agree with you. :) I don't think i will EVER be too old for this wonderful books and most of my family started reading because of me. My brothers (28 and 30 yrs old) have read them all and they like the series they're not big fans like me but still they enjoyed them and my dad (57 yrs old) he's still reading DH ( I know right how can he take so long...) and we like it so i guess there really is no age for this awesome book!!!

LilyDreamsOn September 21st, 2007 4:04 am

Pah, there's no age limit for Harry Potter. :) When I went to Prophecy, a Harry Potter symposium, the majority of attendees were around 20-30 years old, but there were also quite a few 40-50 year olds, or even more. It was really great, actually.

I rewent to see OotP with a few family members at one point this summer, and I was the only person under 40, lol. Everyone had read all seven books (we saw it mid-August) at least once, though my uncle is almost as obsessed as I am, and has read them quite a few times over, too. And he's about 50 by now.

rwwoman September 21st, 2007 4:22 am

I'm 35 and there is no way I'm too old for HP - being older just means you appreciate the books more.

RavenClwEspe September 21st, 2007 4:35 am

I love it when people tell me it's a children's book! I simply say it's one of the best written ones ever....much like LOTR or Chronicles of Narnia. Then I say, just try it, you might like it.

I was turned on to HP rather later than most, only having been reading the books for about 5 years now (I started right before OOTP came out). But, I was instantly hooked and smitten with the glorious story. But, I have to agree with whomever said that the series covers some pretty dark subjects. My oldest daughter is 6 years old and while she's seen all the films (except OOTP), I've only just begun reading the SS with her. I don't want to jump into too much deep stuff just yet.

But, in reality, to those that tell me I'm too old, Oh well! I'm young at heart!
BTW, I more often see adults in waiting rooms, etc. reading the book.