Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Writer's Corner (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   How do you want your Book Cover to Look Like? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=120904)

RemusPotter June 4th, 2009 9:23 pm

How do you want your Book Cover to Look Like?

Before your book gets published, let's say the publishing house asks your opinion on what the cover should look like.
Mine would probably have to be the front house where the main characters live. And it should be the scene in which Jason is about to enter the house with Sebastian.

PureBloodGirl June 14th, 2009 12:57 am

Re: How do you want your Book Cover to Look Like?

Good idea for a thread. Those who are really good photoshoppers and graphics makers could just show us what they'd want their book covers to look like. :lol:

I would want for my story, Annabell's Secret Diary, the cover to be Annabell and David, in the moonlight, about the crawl into the window at the abandoned school. Either that or a pale body in an alleyway with blood pooling around it and a figure retreating.

Albino_Thestral July 21st, 2009 11:40 pm

Very good idea for a thread! Lets see, for Grim, since it's about a ghost horse (lame yes, but inquire about it and it's not so lame.) I would probably want a misty moor with a shadowy horse figure with a full moon veiled by clouds. :D

Voldemorts8thHorcrux July 22nd, 2009 12:55 am

i had never thought about this question before actually. but i guess for Teeter Totter, my main character Aurelie standing in the middle of a teeter totter (one side being bluish silver, other a reddish gold) trying to keep balance

amanduhrae September 28th, 2009 4:00 am

My novel is called Apply Your Heart and I made up a cover for it that is a record but instead of a circle in the middle, it's a heart.

Another novel I began was called Focus and the cover I made up for it was Focus written in graffiti on an old wall with an expensive camera next to it.

Wab September 29th, 2009 6:02 am

I'd just love the retro covers on the Popular Penguins series in Australia.

HersheyLipGloss January 3rd, 2012 1:05 am

I personally would stay away from real people and a photo shoot for the cover because the process of finding the characters,paying them,making and buying a wardrobe,and guaranteeing their staying with you for other books if your book is destined to become a series.I suppose hiring an illustrator would be equally heinous. But maybe if you know a secret prodigy,you can bribe them to work for a first edition copy of the book and a cut of the profit.Of course,that is usually the reward,but if you snitch a newbie,you can sweet talk them into beliving that this is a exellent deal.

WildFloo162 January 3rd, 2012 1:37 am

My first novel, KIDS cover will hopefully be a shot of chalk hopscotch squares drawn on a blacktop, with a splash of blood across it. I hope the publisher agrees!

HersheyLipGloss January 6th, 2012 12:04 am

When will that book be published?If you don't know,can you tell me when it does?I am intrigued by your cover description.

WildFloo162 January 6th, 2012 4:22 pm

hopefully sometime towards the middle of the year! But yes, I'll keep you updated on here for sure. I found a pretty awesome indie publisher of horror stuff and have had short stories published by them and this will be my first novel. So yeah, it is a horror book, just so you know.

Desraelda January 6th, 2012 7:51 pm

You want your cover to shout out the genre but not be too literal. You don't want something that's a scene from your book because it won't mean anything to the reader.

If you want a photo or vector image, you can get them very cheaply from various sites such as istockphoto or depositphotos or shutterstock and more. Many times there are several poses of the same models which work well for a series. If I find something like that, I purchase enough poses for the whole series at once.

Looking for a cover artist? Go straight to DeviantArt. Tons of great artists there at reasonable prices.

Good luck with your book. :clap:

WildFloo162 January 7th, 2012 8:06 pm

thanks, and yeah the publisher has to worry about where to get the artist lol, but I am going to suggest my cover idea. Some of the books they've published have great covers, most of them in fact. There's only two I didn't like much. I imagine we'll find a photographer or I could just shoot it myself. For some reason I'd much rather have an actual picture of the scene over a drawing of it. And no the scene itself wouldn't appear in the book, but it's very much a great image for the tone and plot of the book. I can't wait to have it finished! I'm taking a break though because the publisher is accepting short stories for a new anthology. So I need to cook up a short story, then get back to the novel.

HersheyLipGloss January 7th, 2012 8:57 pm

I figured it was horror-otherwise youv'egot a twisted idea of normality.I am not sure about all photo for the novel-maybe a askew picture of a hopscotch squareson blacktop with dried dark red paint.Of course,you can always ask for real blood,but you might be convicted of vampirism and put in a padded room with a straitjacket on.Get someone beforehand to bail you out of the psyco ward.

jojoroony January 18th, 2012 9:58 pm

I want mine to be a dimly lit library, with half of the cover a bookshelf with important looking tomes on it, while a booted shoe and a red braid (no head, just braid) disappear behind it. OR, a large forest, with several children hanging out in the branches, with the main character (the one with the red braid) looking up from a book. all of the children would be dressed in jeans and boots, but with weapons at their sides.*shrug*!*

asdfasdf17 December 18th, 2012 4:32 am

This is a fun thread!
I haven't really given any thought about the cover of my book (is it true that authors can't pick their own covers?). But now that I think about it, I do have some book cover ideas:
An island in the mist
A book lying near a gravestone
A silhouette of a boy walking into a palace
I don't really know the whole process that goes with getting the right cover and those kind of sound like lame covers for my story but I'm not really good at this thing!
Also, I would much prefer my cover to be painted rather than a photo (sort of like how the HP covers are painted but not actually like them, if you know what I mean). And I wouldn't want any people/faces on my cover because I want the reader to imagine the characters. As a reader, I find I prefer that :D

Oooh, I always forget how talented those DeviantArt artists are! Thanks for recommending them Desraelda :)

Goddess_Clio December 18th, 2012 4:04 pm

Seeing as how the things I write are mostly fanfics (that don't get published) thinking about book covers for them is more of a mental exercise than a hope of reality.

In high school I did some cover art for books I made up as part of a presentation I was giving about mystery novels and the structure of mystery stories which was a lot of fun. My favorite was a creepy cover that had the eyes and nose of a corpse with coins over the eyes -the fictional title was The Ferryman, as in the coins over the eyes were to pay the ferryman on the way to the afterlife. Thought, perhaps, it would have been a murder mystery with a serial killer who put coins over the eyes of his victims. Anyway... :scared:

Pokota December 19th, 2012 12:14 am

I would probably take the "abstract cover art" approach for anything of mine set in the chronological nightmare that is the Mercenary 'series'. Taghexe, being animesque, would have a somewhat cartoonish cover.