Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Post DH References (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Little Questions Answered v.20 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=129956)

Hes August 24th, 2011 10:26 am

Little Questions Answered v.20

This thread is meant for short questions and short discussions related to the Potterverse which are supposed to get a clear answer. In depth discussions can be done in existing threads (especially concerning analysis of characters).

Version 19 can be found here

Questions regarding the movies can be asked in the following thread: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Ask away :)

Last couple of posts from version 19:

Quote:

Originally Posted by blknight7 (Post 5848528)
Actually, if it is Sirius' bank vault (and not the Black family vault), shouldn't the Ministry have frozen his accounts once he escaped? :hmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 5848557)
The Ministry probably doesn't have that kind of control over the goblins' banking system. Gringotts doesn't appear to be under any government regulations like Muggle banking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bathsheda (Post 5848576)
He completely forgot about it. When Sirius gave Harry the parcel he tells Harry to "use it if you need me". But Harry doesn't want to be the one who leads Sirius into danger, so he just puts the parcel away without even opening it. When he finds it again at the end of the book he at first doesn't even remember where it comes from. Only then does he unwrap it and discover what it is.

It's imo oppinion the biggest tragic irony of the story that Harry doesn't open the parcel because he doesn't want to be the one who lures Sirius out of hiding and then ends up luring Sirius to his death precisely because he didn't use the mirror.

Though I have to say I alway wondered why Sirius didn't remind Harry of the mirror when they spoke about his father.

Hedwig17 August 24th, 2011 7:31 pm

An Unanswered Question

As we all know, at the end of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", Harry witnesses the death of Cedric Diggory so he can therefore see Thestrals. But, in the last chapter of the "Goblet of Fire", Harry can't see the thestrals that are pulling the carriages, unlike in the Order of the Phoenix. Why does this happen? Does there need to be a three-month gap between the death and seeing a thestral?

Alastor August 24th, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: An Unanswered Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedwig17 (Post 5849356)
As we all know, at the end of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", Harry witnesses the death of Cedric Diggory so he can therefore see Thestrals. But, in the last chapter of the "Goblet of Fire", Harry can't see the thestrals that are pulling the carriages, unlike in the Order of the Phoenix. Why does this happen? Does there need to be a three-month gap between the death and seeing a thestral?

There is a useful little thread where some of the most common questions are answered.
Frequently Asked Harry Potter Questions
Just scroll down to post #4. :)

Justincase August 24th, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: An Unanswered Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedwig17 (Post 5849356)

JKRowling explained that. She said that you don't need just to SEE death but to admit it and assimilate it. Because it's not just why didn't he see them at the end of GoF but why didn't he ever see them as he'd seen his parents die 11 years ago before he first didn't see Thestrals. But well... that's JK's explanation of it.

To those last questions about why didn't the Goblins suspected from someone asking to take money out of an escaped prisoner vault or why didn't the Ministry freeze Sirius account. Well.. like I said in some earlier post the Goblins just care about the money and the Ministry has no power whatsoever in Gringotts business.

To those last questions about why didn't the Goblins suspected from someone asking to take money out of an escaped prisoner vault or why didn't the Ministry freeze Sirius account. Well.. like I said in some earlier post the Goblins just care about the money and the Ministry has no power whatsoever in Gringotts business.

Ravenclaw797 August 24th, 2011 11:40 pm

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Who is the "one more murder" referenced in the first chapter of GoF that Voldemort tells Wormtail they need to accomplish before the path to Harry Potter is clear?

twinsrule26 August 24th, 2011 11:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 (Post 5849805)
Who is the "one more murder" referenced in the first chapter of GoF that Voldemort tells Wormtail they need to accomplish before the path to Harry Potter is clear?

I always thought that it was Snape because at that time Voldemort thought that Snape had turned traitor and gone over to Dumbledore's side.

snapes_witch August 25th, 2011 12:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsrule26 (Post 5849830)
I always thought that it was Snape because at that time Voldemort thought that Snape had turned traitor and gone over to Dumbledore's side.

Could be, but I don't see why Voldemort would think Snape was an obstacle to getting to Harry. Dumbledore would be more likely IMO.

MerryLore August 25th, 2011 12:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsrule26 (Post 5849830)

The book never said. I think they wanted us to assume it was Snape, but I think someone else was meant. I had always thought Voldy meant Alastor Moody, because he was planning to put Crouch Jr. in his place. Voldy usually just killed people instead of hiding them. I was shocked at the end, esp. when Moody turned up in a trunk. I didn't think it was Voldy's style.

Justincase August 25th, 2011 12:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryLore (Post 5849884)
The book never said. I think they wanted us to assume it was Snape, but I think someone else was meant. I had always thought Voldy meant Alastor Moody, because he was planning to put Crouch Jr. in his place. Voldy usually just killed people instead of hiding them. I was shocked at the end, esp. when Moody turned up in a trunk. I didn't think it was Voldy's style.

I think you're right. At least I can't come up with anything better.

Ravenclaw797 August 25th, 2011 12:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryLore (Post 5849884)

Couldn't have been Moody. They needed to keep him alive for his hair for the Polyjuice Potion.

My best guess was Crouch Sr., but I am by no means positive on this, so that's why I'd like to hear more opinions.

MerryLore August 25th, 2011 12:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 (Post 5849949)
Couldn't have been Moody. They needed to keep him alive for his hair for the Polyjuice Potion.

My best guess was Crouch Sr., but I am by no means positive on this, so that's why I'd like to hear more opinions.

Hair can be pulled and kept, but that does make sense.

Crouch Sr. is also a possibility. He was killed after his usefulness ran out, and this is more in keeping with Voldy's personality.

Miss_Gaunt August 25th, 2011 12:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 (Post 5849949)

I was thinking Crouch Senior too. Good question though, I had assumed he meant Bertha Jorkins until I realised she was already dead at that stage.

willfitz August 25th, 2011 1:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 (Post 5849805)

My opinion is that it was referring to Harry. The ellipses mean that there could have been any number of words between the bits of phrases heard by Frank, and I figured that Harry was the "one more murder" which was required (as in "one more murder and my immortality will be secured," given he saw Harry as the one barrier between himself and immortality).

HuskyCrown August 25th, 2011 1:06 am

Posted by bathsheda:
He completely forgot about it. When Sirius gave Harry the parcel he tells Harry to "use it if you need me". But Harry doesn't want to be the one who leads Sirius into danger, so he just puts the parcel away without even opening it. When he finds it again at the end of the book he at first doesn't even remember where it comes from. Only then does he unwrap it and discover what it is.

It's imo oppinion the biggest tragic irony of the story that Harry doesn't open the parcel because he doesn't want to be the one who lures Sirius out of hiding and then ends up luring Sirius to his death precisely because he didn't use the mirror.

Though I have to say I alway wondered why Sirius didn't remind Harry of the mirror when they spoke about his father.

Thanks haha, completely forgot he didn't open it! And that is the saddest thing :(

tuxedocat August 25th, 2011 1:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfitz (Post 5850009)
My opinion is that it was referring to Harry. The ellipses mean that there could have been any number of words between the bits of phrases heard by Frank, and I figured that Harry was the "one more murder" which was required (as in "one more murder and my immortality will be secured," given he saw Harry as the one barrier between himself and immortality).

Its an editing mistake, 'murder' only shows up in the early US editions, its 'one more curse' in the UK editions & in later US editions.

Ravenclaw797 August 25th, 2011 1:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfitz (Post 5850009)

No, there was a quote like "one more murder and the path to the boy is clear." Voldemort makes it clear that one more murder is necessary BEFORE Harry can be killed, so the murder can't BE Harry.

Justincase August 25th, 2011 1:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxedocat (Post 5850063)
Its an editing mistake, 'murder' only shows up in the early US editions, its 'one more curse' in the UK editions & in later US editions.

In the English version it actually says 'one more obstacle removed and our path to Harry Potter is clear.' I've just looked it up. It's in page 15 of GoF.

willfitz August 25th, 2011 1:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw797 (Post 5850064)
No, there was a quote like "one more murder and the path to the boy is clear." Voldemort makes it clear that one more murder is necessary BEFORE Harry can be killed, so the murder can't BE Harry.

Oh, I see, I was considering the wrong passage. Yeah, my version has "one more obstacle removed" and it also has "one more curse" in the other one.

ignisia August 25th, 2011 1:44 am

I always took it to mean the death of Crouch Sr., but if later versions use "curse," it may be a correction. In that case, I'm thinking it refers to the capture of Moody. Voldemort says that by the time that step comes into play, his faithful servant (who I take to be Crouch Jr.) will have rejoined him. Barty later admits to being part of Moody's capture.

Ravenclaw797 August 25th, 2011 2:32 am

Ooh that's interesting. But there are two lines: "Come, Wormtail, one more death and our path to Harry Potter is clear" and "One more murder...my faithful servant at Hogwarts...Harry Potter is as good as mine, Wormtail" in the American edition. In the British edition does it say curse for both?