Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Harry Potter Anime Series (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=105268)

MagiYellowMatt May 17th, 2007 1:57 am

Harry Potter Anime Series

I'm more for the idea of an animated series. But instead of following the guidelines for American television, let it be an anime and follow Japanese broadcast styles (there's no summer of reruns, new episodes air continually once a week throughout the year). A lot of the Harry Potter fanart I see is stylized as anime and I think this could really work. Each book would be it's own individual series (with it's own individual opening and ending sequences) and each chapter would be it's own episode. Since most anime series generally run in the range of 20-30 episodes a series (and 40-50 are not unheard of), each Harry Potter book would fit nicely into this style. If each chapter from books 1-6 combined were made into an individual episode, it would be up to 162 episodes at that point, and many anime series have gone far beyond that. Animation is also a great alternative because it wouldn't require as large of a budget, but a budget given to it of a live-action show would result in a much higher quality product.

SIRIUSlyawesome May 17th, 2007 2:00 am

Re: Harry Potter Anime Series?

Good idea, but I dont think it should be episodes of the books, since we know what'll happen. Mabye from Marauders Era?

underscore May 17th, 2007 2:03 am

The only problem with this approach is that while there is a lot in the books that can't be covered in the films, there is definately not enough content in the books to fill out the amount of episodes required for each season/series (be it Japanese or American). Even with adding entire filler episodes that just deal with ships and things like that there still isn't enough there to keep a Hogwarts year going on for a full year--or even just nine months--of television. I guess this could work if two Hogwarts years went by in one television year with maybe only OotP taking up a full year of tv? It's not impossible though, it just needs a lot changes and tweeking. It would be so much fun to have a new theme intro for each year as the kids get older and stuff.

PaRTyGiRL089 May 17th, 2007 5:41 am

i don't think it would be a good idea.. but if they do have it, i'd like to watch it, i mean, it's still Harry Potter..

muggle_born1 May 21st, 2007 1:05 am

But we have the books! Why would people wait around the tv to see a new episode when they can either read the books or watch a movie. Of course, the books are better than the movies, so what would make an animated series better?

PaRTyGiRL089 May 21st, 2007 1:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by muggle_born1 (Post 4522347)
But we have the books! Why would people wait around the tv to see a new episode when they can either read the books or watch a movie. Of course, the books are better than the movies, so what would make an animated series better?

i kinda have to agree with that..

PotterFreak0515 May 24th, 2007 10:35 pm

NO. Bad idea. You know how angry we are at the movies for screwing everything up? Imagine that would be like for a TV show! *shudders* I can imagine myself now: "Expelliarmus isn't an orange spell!" "I can't believe you didn't mention Crumple-Horned Snorkacks!" "Unicorn blood is silver!"

fUnKiE May 24th, 2007 11:11 pm

I wouldn't like that, I'm not in Love, with the movies, But I rather see them, than some 20min anime episode. ;(.

Mayishi May 25th, 2007 12:04 am

Not a bad Idea. But I agree with it needing to be something different. It wouldn't be nearly as exciting if we already knew what would happen!

BelleGreenfield May 25th, 2007 12:14 am

I guess you have to be a fan of animation because I think it would be very cool. I think animation could stick more closely to the books. It would be another interpretation, another view point. Kind of like Harry Potter the remix. :lol: They could have more episodes of Harry on Privet Drive and elaborate on scenes that weren't very long in the books to add a bit and make it more interesting. We could meet other characters more in depth from other houses and see inside their common rooms and what not. As a fan of animation I would most certainly not be bored with it even knowing what would happen...

Black_Squall May 25th, 2007 12:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayishi (Post 4528838)
Not a bad Idea. But I agree with it needing to be something different. It wouldn't be nearly as exciting if we already knew what would happen!

We already know what's going to happen in the movies and yet we flock to the them every time... If your the exception I understand. However, knowing the outcome of a movie (or play or whatever) beforehand should not ruin it if the director has done his job well.

I would definitely watch Harry Potter anime. Catchy intro? Chibi Hermione? Blue hair!?!? It would be cool. I've held this idea for a long time actually. The English dubbing better be ace :grumble:

ps. was joking about the blue hair (not really, I wouldn't care personally if it wasn't a main character).

LikeLuna May 25th, 2007 3:58 am

Many people would love it, many people would hate it. I guess it just depends on whether you like Anime or not...I don't, but even if I did, turning a book into a cartoon just seems like a scary idea to me. There's just so much that could be messed up. I am afraid that this would enforce the idea that Harry Potter is for young children and no one else, and that's sad. :(

MstrControl May 25th, 2007 9:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLuna (Post 4529140)
Many people would love it, many people would hate it. I guess it just depends on whether you like Anime or not...I don't, but even if I did, turning a book into a cartoon just seems like a scary idea to me. There's just so much that could be messed up. I am afraid that this would enforce the idea that Harry Potter is for young children and no one else, and that's sad. :(

Not at all, the whole notion that cartoons are for kids is pretty much recent.

Just to name a few cartoons that were made specifically for adult: Betty Boop, Popeye, Bugs Bunny, among others.

Yes... Bugs Bunny, originally, was made for an adult audience.

And just to name another one, more recent, cartoon: Heavy Metal (The Movie)

alyssareiner May 25th, 2007 9:14 pm

i hope not...that would not make me happy, anime is so overrated

MstrControl May 25th, 2007 9:23 pm

Well, it could also be made in CGI, which can be a very good thing too.

Indy_Racer May 25th, 2007 9:39 pm

If you wanted to do a weekly animated series, there is no reason to focus only on Harry Potter. Just using Hogwarts as the only location could give someone plenty of material. Maybe we could follow the exploits of other lesser characters in the series instead of focusing on the trio. Maybe we could see a series based on the Marauders time at Hogwarts.

MstrControl May 25th, 2007 9:43 pm

Harry Potter Animated Series... Pool

After reading this thread, I thought about making a small pool in to see what would be the preference in making a Harry Potter Animated Series.

Please, if possible, answer with only one word.

Which kind of animation would you like to see:

1. Conventional. (ex: The Batman, Justice League)
2. CGI (ex: ReBoot, Max Steel, Action Man)

LikeLuna May 25th, 2007 11:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MstrControl (Post 4530110)
Not at all, the whole notion that cartoons are for kids is pretty much recent.

Maybe, but that notion definitely exists and many adults would definitely be dissuaded from seeing them if they were not live-action films.

BelleGreenfield May 25th, 2007 11:50 pm

Re: Harry Potter Animated Series... Pool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MstrControl (Post 4530160)
Which kind of animation would you like to see:

1. Conventional. (ex: The Batman, Justice League)
2. CGI (ex: ReBoot, Max Steel, Action Man)

Conventional

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLuna (Post 4530320)
Maybe, but that notion definitely exists and many adults would definitely be dissuaded from seeing them if they were not live-action films.

I don't think so. Look at Shrek. There's plenty of adults who like that. Not too mention anime especially appeals to an older audience.

jookyle_ May 25th, 2007 11:55 pm

An anime would be lame. It would appear to corny. I would'nt watch it. I'd be more for american style.