Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123044)

Noldus May 31st, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2

The Lady Vanishes (1938) - 7.5/10

Surprisingly tardy and unconnected beginning in an otherwise light-hearted and dramatic, action-packed ride.

not_a_human June 1st, 2010 5:57 am

Iron Man 2 - 7/10
Great action scenes, and a Robert Downey Jr. was awesome. But the story seemed a bit silly. I liked it better than the first one, which I would probably give a high 6. This one gets a high 7, but I just can't give it an 8.

How To Train Your Dragon - 8/10
Such a cute movie! But with action and humor. Good characters (even though I kind of wanted to slap Astrid for a while), good story. I wanted to take Toothless home with me! It's not the best movie I've ever seen, probably a mid 8. But I am sorry it took me this long to see it.

katana June 2nd, 2010 12:09 am

Robin Hood 7/10

Both my hubby and I really liked this movie, except for a couple of things.

Neither of us could stand to look at the screen for long during the 'battle' at the end of the movie. The way it was filmed was all over the place and it made us both sick.
The other thing was...
Spoiler: show
We were a little unclear on the story of Robins father and all the people that signed the thing. Who was it that actually killed him? It was a little hard to understand Loxley during that part.

I think there could have been a little more romance for Robin and Marian. But that's just me.
We both really enjoyed Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchette as Robin and Marian. I liked the guys who played Will Scarlett and Little John.
I almost wish they'd do another Robin movie now that he is the outlaw.

My favorite part: "Ask me nicely." Both times. :)

Fawkesfan1 June 2nd, 2010 10:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5541219)
Prince of Persia 9/10

Good and easy entertainment with a sprinkling of surprisingly clever humour. I liked.

Cool, it's good to see a nice, positive review of that movie. The ones that I've read other wise haven't been that way. I was thinking about seeing this movie myself, just for the heck of it :).

Fury June 3rd, 2010 9:50 pm

Burn After Reading - 5/10 - I didn't like this one much. It wasn't what I expected at all and I expected something better from the Coen Brothers. I might have laughed once or twice, but the rest was just horrible. The only stand-out performance was Brad Pitt. But with George Clooney, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton and others in the cast I expected something better, but.... :sigh::shrug:

lilyrose June 4th, 2010 3:21 pm

Miss Austen Regrets - 9/10

This is such a brilliantly directed take on Jane Austen's life. Olivia Williams is unforgettable as Austen and I doubt I can get her portrayal out of my head when I think of Jane Austen. The cast is brilliant, the music is elegant and the cinematography is glorious. If you're an Austen-fan and you haven't watched it yet, you're missing out on something amazing. This is the best cinematic tribute to Austen, IMO.

alwaysme June 4th, 2010 3:28 pm

The Wolfman 6/10

Enjoyed Anthony Hopkins in it and felt that it was entertaining in parts but the storyline and pacing could have been a bit better. I think I had too high of expectations for it since it is supposed to be a reinvention of the old Wolfman.

Yoana June 4th, 2010 4:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyrose (Post 5543248)
Miss Austen Regrets - 9/10

This is such a brilliantly directed take on Jane Austen's life. Olivia Williams is unforgettable as Austen and I doubt I can get her portrayal out of my head when I think of Jane Austen. The cast is brilliant, the music is elegant and the cinematography is glorious. If you're an Austen-fan and you haven't watched it yet, you're missing out on something amazing. This is the best cinematic tribute to Austen, IMO.

I saw it a few months ago and it made me feel depressed :(

katana June 5th, 2010 6:10 am

Alice In Wonderland 8/10

Finally I saw this movie tonight. It was good. I really enjoyed it.
I liked Alan Rickman as the caterpillar, and I liked the cheshire cat.
I'll probably buy it.

Rush June 6th, 2010 6:07 am

Alice in Wonderland - 7.5/10

Acting was great, the film itself looked terrific, animations were cool, but I found the story wasn't something that I particularly enjoy very much. That being said, if you like Alice in Wonderland, you'll probably love this film.

lcbaseball22 June 6th, 2010 1:14 pm

After watching Charade I've been in the mood to see another Audrey Hepburn. She bears a scary resemblence to Natalie Portman in this...

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Acting- 8.5
Script- 7.5
Visuals- 9
Sound- 8
Editing- 7.5

Score = 81%

Noldus June 6th, 2010 1:20 pm

Rope - 6/10

I imagined that the story would take place in various locations and thus I was very curious as to how Hitchcock managed to shot the entire movie in 10 takes. It was naturally disappointing to find out that everything took place in an apartment, but it was innovative nevertheless. Most of the cuts were disguised by having someone passing the camera, but this was however not used consistently.

It was based on a play and sort of felt like one thanks to the filming style and the simple, focused and dialogue-driven plot. While inventive, I didn't quite like this approach; I think it should be adapted into a decent film, not a filmed play...

Luckily, it's quite short and never becomes boring, although it is a bit slow-paced before James Stewart turns up (the first 30 minutes or so).

moogirl June 6th, 2010 1:23 pm

High Fidelity (Stephen Frears, 2000) -- 10/10

Just, YAY! Also, the formula for success in an indie/music movie - incorporate Belle and Sebastian. :D

lilyrose June 6th, 2010 2:08 pm

A Wednesday - 9/10

One of the best Indian films I've seen in recent times. Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher are beyond brilliant :tu:

Fury June 8th, 2010 1:42 pm

State of Play - 7/10 - The concept of the movie was good, but it didn't turn out as good as I expected. Great acting though, but I couldn't keep up with it.

Alice in Wonderland - 9/10 - Absolutely loved this movie. Great acting all around, great humor, tea party scene was fantastic. I am taking points off for two things: 1) The first few minutes before Alice fell in the hole was boring, in my opinion, and 2) It was too short. I wanted more!

Avatar (rewatch) - 9/10 - The movie so nice I watched it twice... in two days!

IenjoyAcidPops June 8th, 2010 4:44 pm

The Good, the Bad, the Weird, A-
A very fun, totally entertaining movie. If foreign films weren't automatically deemed arthouse here in the US, this could be a real crowdpleaser.

Yoana June 9th, 2010 8:18 am

Robin Hood

This is what I saw:
Battle - sex with a French hottie - street fight for bonding purposes - monarchy is evil - battle - pretty and feisty woman isn't afraid to stand her ground - battle - battle - flirtatious snarking - wise mentor falls from grace - battle - the SINGLE thieving-in-the-woods event in the film - evil Frenchies - battle - OMG mind-numbingly ridiculous blabber about universal equality (Robin's father outlived his time by a century or five, apparently, despite being a common peasant - suuuuure) - battle - wise old men murdered by EVIL and UGLY traitor - battle - did we mention monarchy is *** EVOL? - EPIC BATTLE - woman warrior (lest someone suspect the film makes sexist hints - nevermind that there was a total of 2 female characters one of whom used solely for nudity purposes) - absurd communist closing blather ("there was no inequality and everything was shared") - the end.

Oh yeah, and puke-worthy melodramatic music. Towards the second part of the films I was LOLing on a regular basis. Zero historical sensitivity, crudely simplistic characterization, patent modernization of Medieval mores - because apparently, you can't be a sympathetic character unless you make your support for political correctness clear, formulaic dialogue - basically a string of cliches from Hollywood's stock. It would have been mediocre if it were a modern-day story, but setting it in 12th century England - downright ridiculous.

2/10 - 1 for Russel Crow, who I dislike and was therefore stunned to find as the film's best asset; and 1 for including the almost touching theme of father/daughter love (Marian and her father-in-law).

Fury June 9th, 2010 1:29 pm

The Blindside - 9/10 - Great film with humor and drama throughout. There were only a couple things I didn't like, but everything that had to do with football I loved. Sandra Bullock and the actor who plays Big Mike are just wonderful. Beautifully acted throughout.

fredgirl June 10th, 2010 7:48 pm

Prince of Persia-8.5/10
There is been a lot of negative reviews about the movie,but the movie is good and probably the best among the video game based movies.
The casting is good ,Jake and Gemma really did a wonderful job.Screenplay is just awesome.There is no boring scene in the movie.The background music is commendable .Most importantly this movie has a gripping plot.Its got twists and logical reasons which are mostly missed in a fantasy movie.The huge budget hints on the special effects of the movie,its a good entertainment for the kids.
Overall,I think Prince of Persia the movie is as good as the video game and I am really looking forward to the sequel.:)

lcbaseball22 June 11th, 2010 9:50 am

Witness for the Prosecution (a Billy Wilder adaptation of an Agatha Christie short story! :D)

Acting- 9
Script- 9
Visuals- 8.5
Sound- 8.5
Editing- 9

Total Score = 88%

P.S. someone on the IMDB boards had an interesting thought...

"I think the role of Leonard Vole should have been played by Jimmy Stewart - with his image of "the innoncent man", he would really convince us that he's not guilty and the final twist would have been even more surprising. Anyone agree/disagree"

I def agree. :tu: Jimmy Stewart (or Cary Grant) would have made this movie fantastic...but either would have been too old for the role :shrug:

Oh, and I strongly caution you not to read this if you haven't seen the film but...

Marlene Dietrich's dual role did not fool me for a second....that would have required a lot better makeup. You see, she has too distinct of a face...and not all that attractive either, too manly looking. Regardless it was a great film and a lot of the other twists took me for a ride.