Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123044)

DML1991 October 27th, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberEight (Post 5445438)
I believe the film will be out on DVD in December in the states. How did you see it?

I caught a dvdrip of it that leaked, the video is top notch, but the audio is a a bit iffy.

I wish I could have seen it in theaters. Just for the visuals alone.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 12:20 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445333)
If you have never watched it, I highly recommend it. It has a big cult following and is easily one of my favorite horror flicks.

It's also apparently one of the most offensive films in the history of cinema! Before Crank 2 was released it was the ONLY film that received 10's in all 3 content categories on the site kidsinmind.com :wow: They assign 3 objective ratings for sex/nudity, violence/gore and profanity.

Nudity and profanity rarely bothers me and for the most part I've become desensitized to violence even...but I'm a bit apprehensive cause I do have a distaste for the extreme amount of gore that's common in horror films. Yes, scaryness is not the only reason I don't watch 'em :p

EDIT:

Oops, my bad...didn't realize it's actually the 2007 re-make this is the case for. :whistle:

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 12:27 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Lcbaseball, I believe AMC has been showing it lately. They usually cut out alot of the gore (it's not so much that the film is gory, it's just bloody when it's... bloody :lol:), as well as the profanity. Nudity is a given also.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445522)
Lcbaseball, I believe AMC has been showing it lately. They usually cut out alot of the gore (it's not so much that the film is gory, it's just bloody when it's... bloody :lol:), as well as the profanity. Nudity is a given also.

I see. I edited though, it's actually the re-make from a few years ago they have listed as such.

I'm pretty out of it today and didn't notice the 2007 in parentheses next to the title right away :lol: I imagine the original isn't quite so bad...

9th_Wonder October 28th, 2009 12:56 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
30 Days of Night - 7/10

It was pretty good for another vampire/zombie apocalypse film.

Ong-Bak - 7/10

Plot was ok. Tony Jaa's stunts are amazing.

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445528)
I see. I edited though, it's actually the re-make from a few years ago they have listed as such.

I'm pretty out of it today and didn't notice the 2007 in parentheses next to the title right away :lol: I imagine the original isn't quite so bad...

The remake was in my top 25 films of 2007, it's flawed, but there's something very interesting going on there. It's admirable, Zombie was trying to explore the character of Michael Myers, make him human and show what what the tick in the creation of the 'monster'. The first half is alot of this, and though it's basically the same cliche'd stuff we've seen many times before (social outcast kid engages in weird acts, drunk and verbally abusive step-father, a mother who lives for the party, etc), it's the intention of it that makes it somewhat interesting, especially in comparison to other Halloween flicks. The second half however descends into being nothing different than what we've seen before in a Halloween film, it's a bunch of slashing and annoying teenage characters, almost completely devoid of meaning. I say almost because there is a particular scene where you can see the interesting part of Zombie's vision shine through (the scene where Myers shows his sister pics of them together).

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but friends I trust really like it and consider it better than the remake, and unlike the trailer, an expansion of Zombie's vision that I find interesting instead of being just a bunch of soulless stabbing.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 1:30 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445543)
The remake was in my top 25 films of 2007, it's flawed, but there's something very interesting going on there. It's admirable, Zombie was trying to explore the character of Michael Myers, make him human and show what what the tick in the creation of the 'monster'. The first half is alot of this, and though it's basically the same cliche'd stuff we've seen many times before (social outcast kid engages in weird acts, drunk and verbally abusive step-father, a mother who lives for the party, etc), it's the intention of it that makes it somewhat interesting, especially in comparison to other Halloween flicks. The second half however descends into being nothing different than what we've seen before in a Halloween film, it's a bunch of slashing and annoying teenage characters, almost completely devoid of meaning. I say almost because there is a particular scene where you can see the interesting part of Zombie's vision shine through (the scene where Myers shows his sister pics of them together).

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but friends I trust really like it and consider it better than the remake, and unlike the trailer, an expansion of Zombie's vision that I find interesting instead of being just a bunch of soulless stabbing.

Sorry, didn't mean the re-make is a bad movie...just that it sounds way more graphic than the original...sign of the times, you know? :shrug:

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 2:03 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445555)
Sorry, didn't mean the re-make is a bad movie...just that it sounds way more graphic than the original...sign of the times, you know? :shrug:

Oh, okay. I agree actually, Zombie has said he believes film and music is where you can really test the limits of tolerance, I just hope in the sequel he does this for an actual reason than it existing for the sake of it.

Nagini001 October 28th, 2009 3:12 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Saw 6, the end does not make sence it just sets you up for the next Saw and it will keep going on forever.

alwaysme October 28th, 2009 6:33 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445514)
It's also apparently one of the most offensive films in the history of cinema! Before Crank 2 was released it was the ONLY film that received 10's in all 3 content categories on the site kidsinmind.com :wow: They assign 3 objective ratings for sex/nudity, violence/gore and profanity.

Nudity and profanity rarely bothers me and for the most part I've become desensitized to violence even...but I'm a bit apprehensive cause I do have a distaste for the extreme amount of gore that's common in horror films. Yes, scaryness is not the only reason I don't watch 'em :p

EDIT:

Oops, my bad...didn't realize it's actually the 2007 re-make this is the case for. :whistle:

Oh yes that's definitely the Rob Zombie remake which I didn't care for at all. Not worth your time and not even comparable to the original John Carpenter version. In the original Halloween there was not a lot of gore. It is built on suspense. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445543)
The remake was in my top 25 films of 2007, it's flawed, but there's something very interesting going on there. It's admirable, Zombie was trying to explore the character of Michael Myers, make him human and show what what the tick in the creation of the 'monster'. The first half is alot of this, and though it's basically the same cliche'd stuff we've seen many times before (social outcast kid engages in weird acts, drunk and verbally abusive step-father, a mother who lives for the party, etc), it's the intention of it that makes it somewhat interesting, especially in comparison to other Halloween flicks. The second half however descends into being nothing different than what we've seen before in a Halloween film, it's a bunch of slashing and annoying teenage characters, almost completely devoid of meaning. I say almost because there is a particular scene where you can see the interesting part of Zombie's vision shine through (the scene where Myers shows his sister pics of them together).

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but friends I trust really like it and consider it better than the remake, and unlike the trailer, an expansion of Zombie's vision that I find interesting instead of being just a bunch of soulless stabbing.

I think the problem for me was that Zombie made it a bit too human. It's like he totally took away the suspense and mystery of Michael Myers. Also it is the nostalgia factor. I grew up loving the original Halloween so much that it is very hard for a remake to come close in my eyes.

NumberEight October 28th, 2009 6:42 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445726)
I think the problem for me was that Zombie made it a bit too human. It's like he totally took away the suspense and mystery of Michael Myers. Also it is the nostalgia factor. I grew up loving the original Halloween so much that it is very hard for a remake to come close in my eyes.

I would agree with this. I walked out of the remake after young Myers was
Spoiler: show
killing his mother's boyfriend, his sister's boyfriend, and then her. There's more violence in the first 30 minutes than each of the original Halloween films (not combined, but compared to each individual one).

I watched Battlestar Galactica: The Plan earlier and it's pretty good. It's a great look at what the Cylons were planning all along. It receives a "B" from me.

I finished Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers a few hours ago and it's not as good as I remember it. I give it a "C."

IenjoyAcidPops October 28th, 2009 7:02 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
I haven't seen Rob Zombie's remake, but one of the things that makes John Carpenter's original Halloween so effective is Michael Myers' lack of background or explanation. There's not much exposition to wade through, Michael Myers is a force of pure evil, he just is (for pete's sake, he's even billed in the credits as "The Shape!") I would think an attempt to explore his "origin story" would really be missing the point.

Now, onto the last film, I watched, that would be Poltergeist; great thriller, Tobe Hooper builds the tension nearly perfectly. The highlights, though, would have to be any scene with Zelda Rubinstein as Tangina. A-

Lorena October 28th, 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445334)
Moon - 7/10
I was really excited for this, so I was a little bit disappointed. Rockwell's performance is fantastic and should really be considered for an oscar nom at least, the cinematography and visual effects are gorgeous (even more impressive given the 5 million dollar budget), and the soundtrack is among the best I've heard this year. I don't think the direction is weak, in fact for a debut feature, it's impressive in many areas, but I feel Jones' influences are rather obvious. The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey, this is where I was disappointed, about half way through the movie there's a certain twist dropped that made me feel like my heart sake and I literally breathed out "c'mon!" during it.


I agree with you on this. I watched the movie yesterday. I had watched the trailer on youtube and I really wanted to see it. I thought it'd be a very mysterious movie. A thriller. I was kind of dissapointed. I never thought it'd be about well, about what the movie is..... Sam Rockwell's awesome. The music is lovely. The moon looks great, I would have loved more scenes with Sam walking on the moon...
I really have no idea what you mean when you say it borrows from Space Odyssey. Regarding Blade Runner, I understand, but I really made no connection to it while watching the movie.
I'd give it a 7 or maybe an 8 because Rockwell owns this movie.

MC2456 October 28th, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Slumdog Millionaire

OH MY GOD! I am practically in LOVE with Bollywood movies. And all because of a "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" inspired film featuring a hot Indian girl (Freida Pinto) and the geeky guy who played Anwar in Skins (Dev Patel). Plus, the totally adorable kids. No, actually it's because of the amazing plot, the dancing (I haven't been much of a Bollywood fan till now, but growing up in Singapore, it's difficult not to know the different cultures. And I do know that a Bollywood film isn't a Bollywood film without the dancing!) and of course, JAI HO! Who can ever forget that fast-paced dance with the sweet moves and the catchy tunes? I love Slumdog Millionaire, and this Singaporean Chinese girl is a convert to Bollywood movies!

On the MC-O-Meter: 10/10


Imagine That

After much persuation by my Mom, I agreed to watch Imagine That. I love Eddie Murphy's movies, and I'm definitely not disappointed by this one! It was a laugh-a-minute show and I really enjoyed myself. I think it's a story of love, friendship, and of course, the power of imagination. Loved it!

On the MC-O-Meter: 7/10

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
The Lady Vanishes- 88%

According to what I've read, this was "Hitchcock's penultimate film made in the U.K. before his move to Hollywood". And it's excellent except for the slow beginning. Before long it becomes really entertaining! :D It is a bit different than the others I've watched. It has got more screwball comedy and there is more prevalent use of guns. Usually when there are guns in his movies, it seems they aren't fired but used more as a threat. Plus, he prefers strangulation as a means of killing :p The story seems a bit far-fetched but apparently it's based on an actual incident so maybe not :lol: There was also a few scenes and/or characters that I didn't understand the purpose of. Overall it's a very solid film though and I think it has a lot of "charm" :tu:

While I don't think I'd put this amongst his very best, I could definitely see myself watching it again! :cool: Reading through the FAQ's here, I think it's a film you pick up more on furthing watchings. There are some things I missed. I found it quite unpredictable, but there were some clues apparently...

NumberEight October 29th, 2009 6:16 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
I just completed Hatchet. It's a great horror film. It's really funny and graphic. I don't like the ending and that's why I am giving it a "B".

IenjoyAcidPops October 29th, 2009 11:49 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Horror of Dracula - My only problem with this very good, possibly great rendition of the Dracula story is that I wanted more Christopher Lee. I guess that's not so much a failing of the film as it is a comment on how great a presence Lee is as the Count. A-

9th_Wonder October 30th, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Se7en - 10/10

Disquieting film. Loved the surprise ending.

snapegirl October 30th, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Psycho 10/10 Such a classic movie. One of my all time favorites.

One Missed Call (original Asian version) 8/10 Not as great as some other Asian horror I've seen, but very creepy. I'm a sucker for this type of movie.
Seemed to go on and on forever, even though it wasn't a long movie.

lcbaseball22 October 30th, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2
 
Psycho- 98%

A very fitting end to my Hitchcock marathon (well, minus the Bram Stoker's Dracula interruption) over the past few weeks! :cool: I think I am going to give his films a rest for a while now, but I'll most def be coming back to them...there are another 10 or so that I want to watch! :D

So that score actually places it just above Rear Window and Strangers on a Train, but Rear Window is still my fav I think. I'm awarding Psycho the top spot mainly because of the brilliant script...that was the clincher, especially the ending. Cause as you'll notice in my post from the Halloween Movies thread (seen below) up until the end I wasn't nearly as engrossed as I had been with some prevous Hitchcock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5446798)

Anyways, I started early. :p I'm watching your #1 there...just couldn't wait! Was dying to watch Hitchcock's most famous. I'm less than 20 minutes from the end. To be honest, so far I don't think it surpasses Rear Window, Vertigo, etc :shrug: IMO, it's a bit slow actually. So far I'd put it in the high 80's. And it hasn't been near as scary as I was dreading. I suppose it was good for it's time, but I find the shower scene a bit cheesy. In fact, there has really only been one scene that has scared me so far. It was more like the Inferi in HBP, made me jump due to the sudden shock. As a whole though, the film hasn't made much of a lasting impression yet. But maybe I'm speaking too soon :lol: I'll edit once I finish and post my complete thoughts. Should I be preparing myself for something that's gonna blow my mind here at the end...? :whistle:

EDIT:

:wow:

That ending really was something! Not only did the twist(s) blow my mind (I can't believe I didn't figure it out, considering I've seen both Identity and Fight Club, which are films that copied the basic idea), but the suspense was so heavy I'm not sure I took a breath for minutes at a time :lol: My heart was literally racing, and like I was expecting someone to jump out from any corner of every room :scared: Alright, that bumps it up a bit...it's on par with those aforementioned :p

I feel this is worthy of a few re-watches at least, in part cause I want to see if I missed any clues...and also to try to spot any plot-holes :p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:39 pm.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.