Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123044)

Hes October 19th, 2009 11:44 am

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2

You guys know the drill. Rate and discuss the last films you have seen :)

Version one can be found here

DML1991 October 19th, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2

Been on a Sam Raimi marithon for halloween, I'm surprised I hadn't seen any of these movies..

The Evil Dead - 6/10
It's decent. Some well done tense and scary moments, but Raimi does give in to the cliche's of the horror genre (like someone goes down steps into basement because they heard noises, Ash --Bruce Campbell's character-- follows him down because he isn't responding, you're really on the edge of your seat and thinking "hey, they're already dipping into the story, this is great" and then the jump scare comes with the guy popping up laughing, Raimi can do so much better than this), the characters are generally frustrating, even Ash is annoyingly frustrating. It seems I hated the movie more than I did, I didn't mind watching it at all, it has it's moments, but it could have been so much better yet the same. I might have to re-evaluate that rating, but that's what I gave it initially.

Evil Dead 2 - 10/10
I have no idea why Raimi chose to practically remake the first for the sequel, perhaps even he wasn't satsified with it? But this marks as one of the very finest sequels ever made. It's the first film... as it should have been. With an obviously higher budget, Raimi creates visuals that create a terrific atmosphere. It's spoof's the first, while remaining genuinely edgy and full of tension. And Ash becomes every bit of the awesome character that legend has him being. This is horror-comedy at it's best.

Army of Darkness - 7/10
Given the ending of ED2 that promised one heck of a film to follow, the beginning of this is disappointing, and contradicting. But it picks itself back up, and where the first was more of a straight forward horror with some black comedy, the second was a horror-comedy done as a spoof of the first, this is almost devoid of any 'horror' and is more of a adventure-comedy with some 'horror' moments. It's good, more campy than the first two and has less of what made ED2 such a successful sequel, but I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind watching it again.

Drag Me to Hell - 9/10
Starts out solid, and keeps getting better throughout it's runtime, and delivers a punch of a fantastic last 30 minutes. It's more of a horror, but it has plenty of the camp of ED2 and AOD. Has some of the cliche's of the genre, but unlike The Evil Dead, Raimi uses them to the film's advantage. Just a plain overall great time. Can't wait to watch it again, which I may do with some friends tonight, it seems like it would be fun with a crowd. :cool:

Perlidia October 19th, 2009 9:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5440861)
Army of Darkness - 7/10
Given the ending of ED2 that promised one heck of a film to follow, the beginning of this is disappointing, and contradicting

I liked Army of Darkness the best, but that was probably because I saw it first. Also I am not so good when it comes to horror.
I love when Ash says "Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all." :lol: Bruce Campbell's finest hour.

Smitts October 19th, 2009 10:15 pm

Howl's Moving Castle

5/10
I was disappointed. I liked the directors movie Spirited Away and had high expectations. but the plot wasn't too great in my opinion..i just didn't like it too much.

IenjoyAcidPops October 20th, 2009 12:27 am

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - Holds up remarkably well, particularly thanks to excellent direction and impeccable performances from the leads, Charles Laughton and Clark Gable; I really enjoyed the '62 version with Brando and Trevor Howard too, so I'm not sure which I prefer. A-

lcbaseball22 October 20th, 2009 5:22 pm

A new thread?! :wow: Cool :D

Anyways, so continuing on with my Hitchcock marathon...and in my opinion, he comes back down to earth a bit with this one :lol: :p

Notorious- 79%

It still had a lot of his brilliance but it was rather dull at moments. Something about it just didn't grab me like his previous thrillers and I didn't feel as if there was much of an emotional attachment established with characters, so you could care less what happened to them. :whistle:

The romance also developed abruptly (not un-common though) and I didn't sense much chemistry between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

It might still make my Top 100, but just barely...

BTW, some interesting trivia I've read-

The "on again, off again" kiss is historically famous as it was Hitchcock's way of skirting around an old code that limited kisses to 3 sec :elaugh:

Hysteria October 20th, 2009 5:44 pm

Red Dragon 7/10.
Nothing to do with the movie itself but I hated Ed Norton's unnaturally blonde hair. I found it really distracting :rolleyes: anyway... I think this is an interesting film but it doesn't have the same suspense and/or 'horror' of Silence of the Lambs. The acting is good but I think Ralph Fiennes' character was a little bit too dull where they could have developed him further. Also, it was quite obvious what was going to happen IMO.
Having said that, Norton and Anthony Hopkins were both very good and I found their characters to be quite believable.

Silence of the Lambs 10/10.
Easily one of my favourite movies and probably my favourite book to movie adaptation. I've seen it dozens of times and it still creeps me out. The acting from Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins is exceptional. The screenplay is wonderful as is the music composition.
For me, this is what a good thriller movie should be. One that you want to watch again and again, despite knowing how it ends.

NumberEight October 21st, 2009 4:06 am

[REC] is outstanding. It is genuinely scary and it does not try to be extremely violent to induce the scares. I would like to thank Hollywood for ruining [REC]'s ending for me with the Quarantine trailer. I give the film an "A".

IenjoyAcidPops October 21st, 2009 4:55 am

Children of Men - Great film; Alfonso Cuaron's direction keeps things tense and compelling, and Emmanuel Lubezki's cinematography is brilliant, really evocative. A-

DML1991 October 21st, 2009 9:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 5441456)
Red Dragon 7/10.
Nothing to do with the movie itself but I hated Ed Norton's unnaturally blonde hair. I found it really distracting :rolleyes: anyway... I think this is an interesting film but it doesn't have the same suspense and/or 'horror' of Silence of the Lambs. The acting is good but I think Ralph Fiennes' character was a little bit too dull where they could have developed him further. Also, it was quite obvious what was going to happen IMO.
Having said that, Norton and Anthony Hopkins were both very good and I found their characters to be quite believable.

I haven't seen this, but the film that was also based off this same book, Manhunter, is my favorite Lecter movie. Though it's less of a horror film and more of a thriller.

IenjoyAcidPops October 21st, 2009 9:45 pm

The Tingler - A William Castle movie with Vincent Price as a doctor who theorizes that when a person is most afraid, a living organism - "the tingler," if you will - grows along the spine, and the only way to expel it is to SCREAM! Pure schlock, but I had a lot of fun with it. B

Insomniatic October 22nd, 2009 11:38 am

Coraline-10/10
amazing film, scary and frightening and just fasinating the work that went into it, perfect in every way!...and Coraline is just so awesome as a character, and I wouldn't mind meeting someone like her in the future, she's so rebelious and dark and cool!

padfoot__lives October 22nd, 2009 2:30 pm

Law Abiding Citizen - 9/10
This movie was just awesome. It was alot better than I expected it to be, because I'm usually not a big fan of films like this. Gerard Butler was absolutely brilliant and perfectly cast. I loved the mild twist at the end, and how in the beginning I was rooting for Gerard Butler's character 100%, but toward the middle I kind of didn't know who I was rooting for. The characters weren't 2-dimensional, and Clyde (Gerard Butler) was a serious genius. It wasn't predictable in the least, and the amount of comic relief was just right. Granted, it was a pretty far-fetched movie, but I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Trick'R'Treat - 10/10
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this. Since I ordered it OnDemand, it was one of those movies that didn't have the "show preview" option.. and I didn't really know what it was specifically about, so my expectations weren't high. I really liked how it showed four different stories all on Halloween night/in the same town and managed to link them together in a not-so-cheesy way. I'm a big fan of movies that do that. Not to mention there were parts that scared me out of my mind, and that's pretty hard to do. I also really liked the story of Laurie and her sister/friends..and the twist that was involved with that.
Spoiler: show
Like how they kept saying that Laurie was a "22 year-old virgin" and how that one guy was going to be "her first".. when they really weren't talking about sex at all. They were all werewolves, and pretty awesome werewolves at that. I love werewolves, and I was recently talking to my friends about how you never see female werewolves in movies, so that part of the movie made me crazy happy.
It's the perfect Halloween movie, not too scary, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I highly reccommend it!

MHPFAN October 22nd, 2009 3:01 pm

The Stepfather- 3/10.

Good Lord this movie sucked! Tons of cliches! The plot was as thin as a runway model and there was absolutely no intelligence behind the characters ("this guy looks exactly like a sketch of a psycho on the American's Most Wanted website!" "What?! You're stupid.") It was just a cheap imitation of Disturbia with Shia LeBouf. :no:

NumberEight October 22nd, 2009 7:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by padfoot__lives (Post 5442591)
Trick'R'Treat - 10/10
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this. Since I ordered it OnDemand, it was one of those movies that didn't have the "show preview" option.. and I didn't really know what it was specifically about, so my expectations weren't high. I really liked how it showed four different stories all on Halloween night/in the same town and managed to link them together in a not-so-cheesy way. I'm a big fan of movies that do that. Not to mention there were parts that scared me out of my mind, and that's pretty hard to do. I also really liked the story of Laurie and her sister/friends..and the twist that was involved with that.
Like how they kept saying that Laurie was a "22 year-old virgin" and how that one guy was going to be "her first".. when they really weren't talking about sex at all. They were all werewolves, and pretty awesome werewolves at that. I love werewolves, and I was recently talking to my friends about how you never see female werewolves in movies, so that part of the movie made me crazy happy.
It's the perfect Halloween movie, not too scary, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I highly reccommend it!

I created a thread here months ago. No one has posted yet. Maybe you and I can chat about the film?

I watched Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen last night. I give both films a "B".

snapegirl October 22nd, 2009 7:03 pm

Bolt- about a 6 or 7 out of 10. It was okay, but not great. I hated the country song montage thing towards the end. :grumble:

lcbaseball22 October 22nd, 2009 11:17 pm

Shadow of A Doubt- 94%

Supposedly Hitchcock once stated that this was his personal favorite of the films he directed. While it isn't my favorite, I can see why it could be someone else's. Set aside a couple lame scenes (the main one being the ending) and some odd dialogue that occured at times and you have another masterpiece. :tu: BTW, I think it's best to watch this without any prior knowledge. I'd only read the plot summary on IMDB (basically spoiler free, like what's on the back of a DVD box, you know?) but that was enough to diminish some of the suspense for me. :sigh:

9th_Wonder October 23rd, 2009 12:15 am

Children of Men - 9.5/10

Astounding film. Emotional and provocative. Brilliant directing by Cauron.

Edit: BTW thank you IenjoyAcidPops. Your review reminded me of this movie lol. I've been wanting to see it for a while and finally did.

IenjoyAcidPops October 23rd, 2009 1:36 am

1408 - One of the more effective horror films I've seen in a while, very creepy indeed. And John Cusack carries it nicely, as it's nearly a one-man show most of the time. B+

lcbaseball22 October 23rd, 2009 12:04 pm

Strangers on a Train- 97%

Now, that's the same score I gave Rear Window but I'm hesitant to say it's as good as (or better) than the aforementioned. I'm also not sure where I would place it amongst my top favorites. All I know is I enjoyed it immensely and it was one of the most suspenseful I have seen!

And I do believe it's one of Hitchcock's best :tu: However, if you don't like "implausible" films (as I've seen many call it) this is NOT for you.

With the exception of about 5 minutes throughout the course of the film, it's very tightly paced. I should be in bed, but I had to finish it. :D

As I said in the Hitchcock thread, I liked Farley Granger's performance infinitely more than in Rope (he was the annoying sidekick) :lol: :p

Although, there was somebody else I found annoying this time...Hitchcock's daughter! :shrug:

And Robert Walker gave me the creeps! :scared: I think his was the best performance I've seen in a Hitchcock film yet, which is really saying something. I was so shocked to discover he didn't even get an Oscar nom! Sadly died (32 yrs) not long after this film was released too.

IMO, it was certainly one of the best villain performances I have seen...up there with Heath Ledger's joker!

The cinematography was another treat, especially the amusement park scenes. :cool: If nothing else, you gotta see it for the ending...insane!

Although, all that being said...I'm also not sure it's a film I would watch again. This could possibly be said about any Hitchcock film though. It's the suspense that makes them so great, and naturally you'll only have that the first time through. I could be wrong though, because I've only tested this theory with Rope, which was one of the lesser Hitchcock films I've seen to begin with and the pacing is very different. :whistle:

Still, I'm afraid if I re-watch this one, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Shadow of a Doubt, etc...the scores would be way lower.

I certainly hope not though, cause I am already considering asking relatives for a DVD box set (or a bunch of individuals) for Christmas :cool:

*strolls off to bed*

lilyrose October 23rd, 2009 2:30 pm

Gandhi, My Father - 9/10

Analyzes the Mahatma from a more 'human' angle focusing on Gandhi as a family-man and his troubled relationship with his son. The tag line gets it spot on - 'One family's tragedy was the price of a nation's freedom'. Aided by great performances, the film is an excellent watch :tu:

magic_is_might October 23rd, 2009 3:34 pm

Mask - 7/10 - I had never seen this movie before we watched in yesterday for a class. I enjoyed it, even though I was upset with the ending ... :/

Lorena October 23rd, 2009 3:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5440861)
Drag Me to Hell - 9/10
Starts out solid, and keeps getting better throughout it's runtime, and delivers a punch of a fantastic last 30 minutes. It's more of a horror, but it has plenty of the camp of ED2 and AOD. Has some of the cliche's of the genre, but unlike The Evil Dead, Raimi uses them to the film's advantage. Just a plain overall great time. Can't wait to watch it again, which I may do with some friends tonight, it seems like it would be fun with a crowd. :cool:

OMG!!! I gave it a 2 in the previous thread. I hated it. My little brother gave it to me and said it was a great movie. :grumble:

Spoilers included:
It is obvious how it was going to end, no matter what she did.....it was very obvious there would be some sort of confusion with the envelopes when the seer put her cursed button in an envelope. It was not scary nor funny, actually IMO it is a pretty ridiculous movie. The only good part was when the goat got possessed, the goat's face was so funny!!!. The part with the woman in the car was so gross, when she bit her in the chin :S same for the parts at the funeral and the tomb: gross

I have no idea who the director is, I guess you have to be a lover of this specific type of movie, I really don't know which type it is, to like it; I have no idea if an average movie viewer will like it.

lilyrose October 23rd, 2009 3:59 pm

Mangal Pandey : The Rising - 6/10

Flimsy tale :yuhup: The only good thing about the film was Toby Stephens :eyebrows: And A.R.Rahman's music of course :rockon:

NumberEight October 23rd, 2009 6:15 pm

Early this morning, around 0230, I finished the French film [i]Ŕ l'intérieur[i]. It's about a pregnant woman being tormented in her home. It's pretty good but you instantly know who the tormentor is when introduced. This film is very, very violent. If you cannot stomach extreme violence in film, stay away. I give it a "B."

Annielogic October 23rd, 2009 6:51 pm

Watched A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean version - Janghwa, Hongryeon). It's a good psychological horror film, very creepy and a heartbreaking tale. 10/10

not_a_human October 23rd, 2009 7:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorena (Post 5443151)
I have no idea who the director is, I guess you have to be a lover of this specific type of movie, I really don't know which type it is, to like it; I have no idea if an average movie viewer will like it.

The director is Sam Raimi, who directed, among other things, the first 3 Spider-Man movies and the Evil Dead movies.

IenjoyAcidPops October 23rd, 2009 10:42 pm

Game 6 - The movie as a whole is only okay (I think there are too many characters and too few with anything to do, and I felt the dialogue often resorted to empty platitudes), but Michael Keaton is very good, his best performance in years. C+

The Fisher King - I think the tone was a little inconsistent at times, but otherwise a solid, if predictable, film. B

lcbaseball22 October 24th, 2009 4:41 pm

Bram Stoker's Dracula- 85%

I guess I'm getting into the Halloween mood a week early...and taking a break from Hitchcock films momentarily :p :lol:

Well, we are reading Dracula by Bram Stoker in my college lit class right now and I thought I'd give the movie a watch too. :cool: It was a little weird with some artistic flair and the director took some creative liscense, but overall it was a pretty accurate representation of the novel and it made for an entertaining piece of cinema :tu: Keanu Reeves was definitely the lowpoint of this film. He is really not a good actor, IMO

On the other hand, Gary Oldman was fantastic! I never knew he was such a great actor. I mean, yeah he played Sirius reallly well and he was also good as Lt. Gordon in the new Batman films...but those were hardly challenging roles. He completely transformed and became Dracula. Of course, kinda necessary when you're playing an eccentric role like this :lol: I thought it was Oscar worthy, but he wasn't even nominated!

Oh, and luckily the film wasn't as scary as I expected (but perhaps those were the parts that were cut out...I watched it on Youtube :lol:)

A lot like Sleepy Hollow in that sense, the only other "horror" film I've seen. An overall creepiness, but only a few really disturbing scenes.

That's also about the same score I gave the aforementioned I believe...they were on par with each other. Both great, but didn't love 'em

NumberEight October 24th, 2009 6:09 pm

I watched Let the Right One In last night. It is a very, very good film. It is a very powerful film. The romance between Oskar and Eli is very well done. I don't do this often, but I give the film an "A+."

IenjoyAcidPops October 24th, 2009 10:27 pm

Rebecca - I would not put it among Hitchcock's best - I found the pace a bit too slow for its own good and found the relationship between Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine totally unconvincing - but once it gets going, it's very involving. I loved Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers: quietly sinister without seeming to do anything.
And you don't find many films where the most interesting and the titular character is entirely offscreen.)
B+

Perlidia October 25th, 2009 3:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5443677)
On the other hand, Gary Oldman was fantastic! I never knew he was such a great actor. I mean, yeah he played Sirius reallly well and he was also good as Lt. Gordon in the new Batman films...but those were hardly challenging roles. He completely transformed and became Dracula. Of course, kinda necessary when you're playing an eccentric role like this I thought it was Oscar worthy, but he wasn't even nominated!

Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors for exactly this reason - he is capable of transformation for every role he pursues. Check out Leon, Sid & Nancy, Prick Up Your Ears, Romeo Is Bleeding and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. He is an actor in the truest sense - completely unrecognizable when he is in character.

The answer he gives to the following interview question sums him up...
http://www.salon.com/july97/oldman2970709.html

Quote:

Were you a good boxer?

No. I was terrible. But you would look at me in the gym and say, "The kid's a natural." I had all the moves down, hitting the punch bag, shadowboxing, skipping. I could play a boxer, but I wasn't a boxer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5443839)
found the relationship between Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine totally unconvincing

From reading the book, I think you are meant to find this relationship unconvincing - Its told from the wife's (Joan Fontaine's unnamed character) point of view and she is unsure and becomes deeply paranoid about her husbands feelings for her. I think they adapted this well in the film.
However I will add I haven't watched this in a while.

Mad_Druid October 25th, 2009 8:58 am

Gran Torino - Decent film. Clint Eastwood did what he always does, I didn't find the character development particularly convincing, nothing that happened surprised me, plot-wise. 6.5/10.

MmeBergerac October 25th, 2009 10:06 pm

The Da Vinci Code, 5.5 / 10.

It has very good ingredients: an efficient director, a good cast (Ian McKellen and Audrey Tatou are fantastic) a nice soundtrack and an intelligent (and original) use of the special effects. However, they try to be trascendental, and there they fail. Honestly, how do they expect me to take seriously a story with so huge historical mistakes? I admit most of the fault isn't in the movie itself but in the book it's based on, but anyway it ruins the movie completely.

lcbaseball22 October 26th, 2009 12:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 5444344)
The Da Vinci Code, 5.5 / 10.

It has very good ingredients: an efficient director, a good cast (Ian McKellen and Audrey Tatou are fantastic) a nice soundtrack and an intelligent (and original) use of the special effects. However, they try to be trascendental, and there they fail. Honestly, how do they expect me to take seriously a story with so huge historical mistakes? I admit most of the fault isn't in the movie itself but in the book it's based on, but anyway it ruins the movie completely.

Well, although there could be some truth to it, it was written as more of a fictional story. Dan Brown wasn't the first to write of this sort of theory either. And really I don't see why some Christians are so upset by the book/movie. So what if Jesus had a child? I think it's possible. He was a man afterall...a divine man, but still a man. I'd expect him to have a sex drive and the desire to pro-create just like any other :shrug:

I'm curious, what are the "huge historical mistakes" you're referring to? :hmm: I haven't read the book yet, but personally I loved the movie.

NumberEight October 26th, 2009 12:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5444408)
I'm curious, what are the "huge historical mistakes" you're referring to? :hmm: I haven't read the book yet, but personally I loved the movie.

Here is an in-depth look at the inaccuracies. It's Wiki but some of it is sourced.

magic_is_might October 26th, 2009 12:53 am

The Journey to the Center of the Earth - 8/10 (the new one)

I have yet to see the original one, but I really did enjoy this one :) It was very fun to watch, especially in 3D.

lcbaseball22 October 26th, 2009 3:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5443839)
Rebecca - I would not put it among Hitchcock's best - I found the pace a bit too slow for its own good and found the relationship between Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine totally unconvincing - but once it gets going, it's very involving. I loved Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers: quietly sinister without seeming to do anything.
And you don't find many films where the most interesting and the titular character is entirely offscreen.)
B+

I am watching this right now and I'm about an hour in. So far it’s been quite un-eventful and I wouldn't consider it among his best eiher. I agree about the slownes and that the relationship is pretty un-convincing. However, the strange behavior of everyone has got me intrigued and I expect the 2nd half will be much better and explain the mysteriousness. And yes, the housekeeper seem very sinister. I don't like her.

BTW, if I have any typos I apologize. I’m typed this response with my eyes closed sinc the spoiler text is visible when you quote a post :lol:

Perlidia October 26th, 2009 3:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5444483)
and that that relationship is un-convincing.

As I said - I think this is deliberate, it ties in with the tone of the book. I don't think Hitchcock was using a technique I think he was simply portraying the relationship as written (from the unnamed narrators point of view).

It makes sense in terms of the story - If their relationship had been closer and more communicative the mystery of Rebecca would have been cleared up much sooner.
I do think they are a lot closer at the end - having come through everything together. Prior to this however, I think Maxim does love his new wife, but has not had closure over the everything that came before and spends most of his time in his own head. She is young, unsure and very naive, and its her narration we have to rely on.

lcbaseball22 October 26th, 2009 3:47 am

^ Well yes, I think we're supposed to feel like they don't belong together. Or maybe they do, but this guy clearly hasn't got over the loss of his wife yet to where he can love another woman. She seems infatuated with him, but he's not really reciprocating. It's just a bit dull. :shrug:

IenjoyAcidPops October 26th, 2009 5:53 am

Drag Me to Hell - It's great to know Sam Raimi still has it in him to make an exciting, visceral, and very entertaining horror movie like this. It's a blast. A-

Perlidia, I do see what you're saying, and I'd considered that it was a deliberate move to make this not exactly a great romance. Maybe a better way to put it would be to say that I didn't see much of a "chemistry" (for lack of a better word) between Fontaine and Olivier. This isn't a great criticism, though, because the focus is on the specter or shadow of Rebecca looming over all and that totally works.

HedwigOwl October 26th, 2009 7:09 am

Where the Wild Things Are - very well done, 10 out of 10.

Also, The Informant - 10 out of 10.

NumberEight October 26th, 2009 7:41 am

I just finished John Carpenter's Halloween. It's absolutely great. I give it an "A."

lcbaseball22 October 26th, 2009 7:43 am

Rebecca- 77%

Well, I finished it. The 2nd half was okay, but as a whole I'm not much a fan of this film. I think it is ironic that the only film of Hitchcock's to win the Oscar for Best Picture was something atypical of his other masterpieces. The RT consensus was it's unpredictable but I disagree.

Husband kills wife (even though he really didn't) has been done so overplayed and I had a feeling the behavior of Mrs. Danver was more of a red herring. I also felt like a lot was fairly contrived. I mean, Rebecca accidentally slips, falls, hits her head, and kills herself (when she was suicidal anyways) and then her body just happens to be found the night of the party years later? :err: Give me a break. BTW, I read on Wiki what the change from the book was (he actually kills her) and I think I would've preferred that...even though it has been overplayed.

Besides, I don't know much about law...but I'm pretty sure they didn't/wouldn't have had good enough evidence to convict him anyways

It just seemed like the built up intrigue didn't have much pay-off. :shrug: But I can say now I think their relationship does make sense at least.

And the acting and cinematography are great. It's still above average, but unfortunately I'd have to say it's the worst Hitchcock I've seen. :sigh:

MmeBergerac October 26th, 2009 12:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5444408)

The one that bothers me most is their saying (it's in the book and the movie keeps it) that it was the Pope who ordered the raid against the Templars. That's false. The raid was ordered by the King of France, and therefore it only took place in France. In other countries the Templars weren't dismantled till months later, after the Pope (don't remember his name) yielded to the King's pressure. However, he left the countries some liberty to act and, while in France they were all butchered, in Spain and Portugal, for instance, the order was dismantled but the knights weren't killed; they were allowed to join other military or monastic orders (Dan Brown wrote as though all the Templars had suffered the French end). You can find those facts in any serious book about the Templars, you don't need to be an expert in the matter. So I can only think that Brown deliberatedly twisted the History to adapt it to his theory, what takes credibility away from his thesis. I know it's fiction, but I can't like even fiction when I find background holes.

Fawkesfan1 October 27th, 2009 1:50 am

An American Werewolf in London -- 6/10 -- I didn't mind this film persay, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I saw it with a friend last night. Didn't like most of the acting... it was rather over the top :lol:. But the cinematography and effects were nice (that's why it's getting a score of 6/10 instead of a 4/10).

As for the music/soundtrack to the film, it was pretty good.

Overall, I consider it a horror/comedic farce kind of movie.

For werewolf movies in general, I like the movie, Wolf, more.

That movie is more my style when it comes down to horror movies.

Not to mention, Jack Nicholson does an excellent job acting in it.

I give it an 8/10.

Also, speaking of him... I really liked him in The Witches of Eastwick. He did a wonderful job acting in that movie and it has a wonderfully creepy and spooky atmosphere about it.

I give it an 8/10 as well.

Lorena October 27th, 2009 3:12 am

I watched The Killing room on Saturday. It was ok, I'd give it a 6. Not my favourite topic for a movie, but I had no idea it was about that.
Then I re-watched From within on Sunday. I really liked that movie. I also love the poster, that's why I wanted to watch it the first time. I thought it was an original idea, but a town full of crazy religious people that would break the 10 commandments just like that is pretty unbelievable to me. I give it an 8.
And I watched HBP today. I really can't rate it.

IenjoyAcidPops October 27th, 2009 5:21 am

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - It may not match the original Nightmare on Elm Street, but there's enough cleverness and dare I say wit to make it worth watching. B+

alwaysme October 27th, 2009 6:24 am

The Haunting of Molly Hartley
3/10

This was one of the worst Horror movies I have seen in awhile. Terrible plot and acting.

NumberEight October 27th, 2009 7:39 am

I just finished watching Halloween 2 and Halloween: The Return of Michael Myers. I give the former a "B" and a "B-" for the latter. Three more films to go.

Yoana October 27th, 2009 4:35 pm

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 9/10

snapegirl October 27th, 2009 4:44 pm

Astro Zombies

I'm not sure how to rate this because we knew it would be pure cheese before we watched it. :lol:

But we enjoyed ourselves making fun of it Mystery Science Theater style.

alwaysme October 27th, 2009 5:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberEight (Post 5445150)
I just finished watching Halloween 2 and Halloween: The Return of Michael Myers. I give the former a "B" and a "B-" for the latter. Three more films to go.

Oh nice. You doing a marathon because of Halloween coming up? :)

The original Halloween is a classic. I give it a 10/10.

lcbaseball22 October 27th, 2009 5:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445310)

After I watch Psycho I might watch this and other Halloween classics I've never seen :whistle: Since I have no other plans currently and my buddies are all at a college farther away from mine now, if my nerves can handle it then this Halloween might just be a night for scary movies. :scared:

NumberEight October 27th, 2009 6:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445310)
Oh nice. You doing a marathon because of Halloween coming up? :)

Yeah. I'm doing a marathon. You're right; the first one is a classic.

alwaysme October 27th, 2009 6:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445315)
After I watch Psycho I might watch this and other Halloween classics I've never seen :whistle: Since I have no other plans currently and my buddies are all at a college farther away from mine now, if my nerves can handle it then this Halloween might just be a night for scary movies. :scared:

The original 1978 Halloween still scares me to this day. :lol:

If you have never watched it, I highly recommend it. It has a big cult following and is easily one of my favorite horror flicks.

DML1991 October 27th, 2009 6:42 pm

District 9 - 8.5/10
If there's ever a film that has to be seen and judged as a whole, it's this one. There are scenes that require devoted attention, and the main character is anything but likable, but as the film builds towards it's (rather fantastic I might add) finale, you see why it's the way it was. Imagine the concept of ID4 (a spaceship hovering over a city) not only done right, but with intelligence? Yes, D9 is a surprisingly very intelligent movie with a social commentary on our own humanity and racism. The aliens themselves are better executed than I've seen in any other movie.

Moon - 7/10
I was really excited for this, so I was a little bit disappointed. Rockwell's performance is fantastic and should really be considered for an oscar nom at least, the cinematography and visual effects are gorgeous (even more impressive given the 5 million dollar budget), and the soundtrack is among the best I've heard this year. I don't think the direction is weak, in fact for a debut feature, it's impressive in many areas, but I feel Jones' influences are rather obvious. The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey, this is where I was disappointed, about half way through the movie there's a certain twist dropped that made me feel like my heart sake and I literally breathed out "c'mon!" during it. The film pieces itself back together, but it's flaws still hinder the overall product of the film, and it's a shame that these flaws were so few yet so large. It's hopefully a promising debut (the director is David Bowie's son, btw), but given the quality of everything that surrounds the script, you just wish they could have put out a story that explores it's own themes deeper and would be devoid of it's borrowing from other (superior) films.

NumberEight October 27th, 2009 7:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445334)
The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey,

I haven't seen the film yet, because it is not available in the states, but could you say that those instances could be homages to Scott and Kubrick? I come across this argument a lot when I discuss films that feel like rip offs.

DML1991 October 27th, 2009 8:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberEight (Post 5445391)
I haven't seen the film yet, because it is not available in the states, but could you say that those instances could be homages to Scott and Kubrick? I come across this argument a lot when I discuss films that feel like rip offs.

I thought the same when I had seen the comparisons, which is why I really felt let down by the certain twist in the film, because it was practically a rip-off. I wouldn't say it's a rip off entirely though, the director uses it for his own story and in a way some of it is essential, it's just when it's dropped it just feels cheap. I don't want to say much more without spoiling it, but when you see it I'd like to talk about it with you then, I wonder if you'll come out with the same impression.

NumberEight October 27th, 2009 9:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445404)
I thought the same when I had seen the comparisons, which is why I really felt let down by the certain twist in the film, because it was practically a rip-off. I wouldn't say it's a rip off entirely though, the director uses it for his own story and in a way some of it is essential, it's just when it's dropped it just feels cheap. I don't want to say much more without spoiling it, but when you see it I'd like to talk about it with you then, I wonder if you'll come out with the same impression.

I believe the film will be out on DVD in December in the states. How did you see it?

DML1991 October 27th, 2009 9:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberEight (Post 5445438)
I believe the film will be out on DVD in December in the states. How did you see it?

I caught a dvdrip of it that leaked, the video is top notch, but the audio is a a bit iffy.

I wish I could have seen it in theaters. Just for the visuals alone.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 12:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445333)
If you have never watched it, I highly recommend it. It has a big cult following and is easily one of my favorite horror flicks.

It's also apparently one of the most offensive films in the history of cinema! Before Crank 2 was released it was the ONLY film that received 10's in all 3 content categories on the site kidsinmind.com :wow: They assign 3 objective ratings for sex/nudity, violence/gore and profanity.

Nudity and profanity rarely bothers me and for the most part I've become desensitized to violence even...but I'm a bit apprehensive cause I do have a distaste for the extreme amount of gore that's common in horror films. Yes, scaryness is not the only reason I don't watch 'em :p

EDIT:

Oops, my bad...didn't realize it's actually the 2007 re-make this is the case for. :whistle:

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 12:27 am

Lcbaseball, I believe AMC has been showing it lately. They usually cut out alot of the gore (it's not so much that the film is gory, it's just bloody when it's... bloody :lol:), as well as the profanity. Nudity is a given also.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 12:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445522)
Lcbaseball, I believe AMC has been showing it lately. They usually cut out alot of the gore (it's not so much that the film is gory, it's just bloody when it's... bloody :lol:), as well as the profanity. Nudity is a given also.

I see. I edited though, it's actually the re-make from a few years ago they have listed as such.

I'm pretty out of it today and didn't notice the 2007 in parentheses next to the title right away :lol: I imagine the original isn't quite so bad...

9th_Wonder October 28th, 2009 12:56 am

30 Days of Night - 7/10

It was pretty good for another vampire/zombie apocalypse film.

Ong-Bak - 7/10

Plot was ok. Tony Jaa's stunts are amazing.

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 1:09 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445528)
I see. I edited though, it's actually the re-make from a few years ago they have listed as such.

I'm pretty out of it today and didn't notice the 2007 in parentheses next to the title right away :lol: I imagine the original isn't quite so bad...

The remake was in my top 25 films of 2007, it's flawed, but there's something very interesting going on there. It's admirable, Zombie was trying to explore the character of Michael Myers, make him human and show what what the tick in the creation of the 'monster'. The first half is alot of this, and though it's basically the same cliche'd stuff we've seen many times before (social outcast kid engages in weird acts, drunk and verbally abusive step-father, a mother who lives for the party, etc), it's the intention of it that makes it somewhat interesting, especially in comparison to other Halloween flicks. The second half however descends into being nothing different than what we've seen before in a Halloween film, it's a bunch of slashing and annoying teenage characters, almost completely devoid of meaning. I say almost because there is a particular scene where you can see the interesting part of Zombie's vision shine through (the scene where Myers shows his sister pics of them together).

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but friends I trust really like it and consider it better than the remake, and unlike the trailer, an expansion of Zombie's vision that I find interesting instead of being just a bunch of soulless stabbing.

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 1:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445543)
The remake was in my top 25 films of 2007, it's flawed, but there's something very interesting going on there. It's admirable, Zombie was trying to explore the character of Michael Myers, make him human and show what what the tick in the creation of the 'monster'. The first half is alot of this, and though it's basically the same cliche'd stuff we've seen many times before (social outcast kid engages in weird acts, drunk and verbally abusive step-father, a mother who lives for the party, etc), it's the intention of it that makes it somewhat interesting, especially in comparison to other Halloween flicks. The second half however descends into being nothing different than what we've seen before in a Halloween film, it's a bunch of slashing and annoying teenage characters, almost completely devoid of meaning. I say almost because there is a particular scene where you can see the interesting part of Zombie's vision shine through (the scene where Myers shows his sister pics of them together).

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but friends I trust really like it and consider it better than the remake, and unlike the trailer, an expansion of Zombie's vision that I find interesting instead of being just a bunch of soulless stabbing.

Sorry, didn't mean the re-make is a bad movie...just that it sounds way more graphic than the original...sign of the times, you know? :shrug:

DML1991 October 28th, 2009 2:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445555)
Sorry, didn't mean the re-make is a bad movie...just that it sounds way more graphic than the original...sign of the times, you know? :shrug:

Oh, okay. I agree actually, Zombie has said he believes film and music is where you can really test the limits of tolerance, I just hope in the sequel he does this for an actual reason than it existing for the sake of it.

Nagini001 October 28th, 2009 3:12 am

Saw 6, the end does not make sence it just sets you up for the next Saw and it will keep going on forever.

alwaysme October 28th, 2009 6:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5445514)
It's also apparently one of the most offensive films in the history of cinema! Before Crank 2 was released it was the ONLY film that received 10's in all 3 content categories on the site kidsinmind.com :wow: They assign 3 objective ratings for sex/nudity, violence/gore and profanity.

Nudity and profanity rarely bothers me and for the most part I've become desensitized to violence even...but I'm a bit apprehensive cause I do have a distaste for the extreme amount of gore that's common in horror films. Yes, scaryness is not the only reason I don't watch 'em :p

EDIT:

Oops, my bad...didn't realize it's actually the 2007 re-make this is the case for. :whistle:

Oh yes that's definitely the Rob Zombie remake which I didn't care for at all. Not worth your time and not even comparable to the original John Carpenter version. In the original Halloween there was not a lot of gore. It is built on suspense. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445543)

I think the problem for me was that Zombie made it a bit too human. It's like he totally took away the suspense and mystery of Michael Myers. Also it is the nostalgia factor. I grew up loving the original Halloween so much that it is very hard for a remake to come close in my eyes.

NumberEight October 28th, 2009 6:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysme (Post 5445726)
I think the problem for me was that Zombie made it a bit too human. It's like he totally took away the suspense and mystery of Michael Myers. Also it is the nostalgia factor. I grew up loving the original Halloween so much that it is very hard for a remake to come close in my eyes.

I would agree with this. I walked out of the remake after young Myers was
killing his mother's boyfriend, his sister's boyfriend, and then her. There's more violence in the first 30 minutes than each of the original Halloween films (not combined, but compared to each individual one).

I watched Battlestar Galactica: The Plan earlier and it's pretty good. It's a great look at what the Cylons were planning all along. It receives a "B" from me.

I finished Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers a few hours ago and it's not as good as I remember it. I give it a "C."

IenjoyAcidPops October 28th, 2009 7:02 am

I haven't seen Rob Zombie's remake, but one of the things that makes John Carpenter's original Halloween so effective is Michael Myers' lack of background or explanation. There's not much exposition to wade through, Michael Myers is a force of pure evil, he just is (for pete's sake, he's even billed in the credits as "The Shape!") I would think an attempt to explore his "origin story" would really be missing the point.

Now, onto the last film, I watched, that would be Poltergeist; great thriller, Tobe Hooper builds the tension nearly perfectly. The highlights, though, would have to be any scene with Zelda Rubinstein as Tangina. A-

Lorena October 28th, 2009 12:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5445334)
Moon - 7/10
I was really excited for this, so I was a little bit disappointed. Rockwell's performance is fantastic and should really be considered for an oscar nom at least, the cinematography and visual effects are gorgeous (even more impressive given the 5 million dollar budget), and the soundtrack is among the best I've heard this year. I don't think the direction is weak, in fact for a debut feature, it's impressive in many areas, but I feel Jones' influences are rather obvious. The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey, this is where I was disappointed, about half way through the movie there's a certain twist dropped that made me feel like my heart sake and I literally breathed out "c'mon!" during it.

I agree with you on this. I watched the movie yesterday. I had watched the trailer on youtube and I really wanted to see it. I thought it'd be a very mysterious movie. A thriller. I was kind of dissapointed. I never thought it'd be about well, about what the movie is..... Sam Rockwell's awesome. The music is lovely. The moon looks great, I would have loved more scenes with Sam walking on the moon...
I really have no idea what you mean when you say it borrows from Space Odyssey. Regarding Blade Runner, I understand, but I really made no connection to it while watching the movie.
I'd give it a 7 or maybe an 8 because Rockwell owns this movie.

MC2456 October 28th, 2009 5:11 pm

Slumdog Millionaire

OH MY GOD! I am practically in LOVE with Bollywood movies. And all because of a "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" inspired film featuring a hot Indian girl (Freida Pinto) and the geeky guy who played Anwar in Skins (Dev Patel). Plus, the totally adorable kids. No, actually it's because of the amazing plot, the dancing (I haven't been much of a Bollywood fan till now, but growing up in Singapore, it's difficult not to know the different cultures. And I do know that a Bollywood film isn't a Bollywood film without the dancing!) and of course, JAI HO! Who can ever forget that fast-paced dance with the sweet moves and the catchy tunes? I love Slumdog Millionaire, and this Singaporean Chinese girl is a convert to Bollywood movies!

On the MC-O-Meter: 10/10

Imagine That

After much persuation by my Mom, I agreed to watch Imagine That. I love Eddie Murphy's movies, and I'm definitely not disappointed by this one! It was a laugh-a-minute show and I really enjoyed myself. I think it's a story of love, friendship, and of course, the power of imagination. Loved it!

On the MC-O-Meter: 7/10

lcbaseball22 October 28th, 2009 9:32 pm

The Lady Vanishes- 88%

According to what I've read, this was "Hitchcock's penultimate film made in the U.K. before his move to Hollywood". And it's excellent except for the slow beginning. Before long it becomes really entertaining! :D It is a bit different than the others I've watched. It has got more screwball comedy and there is more prevalent use of guns. Usually when there are guns in his movies, it seems they aren't fired but used more as a threat. Plus, he prefers strangulation as a means of killing :p The story seems a bit far-fetched but apparently it's based on an actual incident so maybe not :lol: There was also a few scenes and/or characters that I didn't understand the purpose of. Overall it's a very solid film though and I think it has a lot of "charm" :tu:

While I don't think I'd put this amongst his very best, I could definitely see myself watching it again! :cool: Reading through the FAQ's here, I think it's a film you pick up more on furthing watchings. There are some things I missed. I found it quite unpredictable, but there were some clues apparently...

NumberEight October 29th, 2009 6:16 am

I just completed Hatchet. It's a great horror film. It's really funny and graphic. I don't like the ending and that's why I am giving it a "B".

IenjoyAcidPops October 29th, 2009 11:49 pm

Horror of Dracula - My only problem with this very good, possibly great rendition of the Dracula story is that I wanted more Christopher Lee. I guess that's not so much a failing of the film as it is a comment on how great a presence Lee is as the Count. A-

9th_Wonder October 30th, 2009 3:44 am

Se7en - 10/10

Disquieting film. Loved the surprise ending.

snapegirl October 30th, 2009 4:08 am

Psycho 10/10 Such a classic movie. One of my all time favorites.

One Missed Call (original Asian version) 8/10 Not as great as some other Asian horror I've seen, but very creepy. I'm a sucker for this type of movie.
Seemed to go on and on forever, even though it wasn't a long movie.

lcbaseball22 October 30th, 2009 2:37 pm

Psycho- 98%

A very fitting end to my Hitchcock marathon (well, minus the Bram Stoker's Dracula interruption) over the past few weeks! :cool: I think I am going to give his films a rest for a while now, but I'll most def be coming back to them...there are another 10 or so that I want to watch! :D

So that score actually places it just above Rear Window and Strangers on a Train, but Rear Window is still my fav I think. I'm awarding Psycho the top spot mainly because of the brilliant script...that was the clincher, especially the ending. Cause as you'll notice in my post from the Halloween Movies thread (seen below) up until the end I wasn't nearly as engrossed as I had been with some prevous Hitchcock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5446798)

Anyways, I started early. :p I'm watching your #1 there...just couldn't wait! Was dying to watch Hitchcock's most famous. I'm less than 20 minutes from the end. To be honest, so far I don't think it surpasses Rear Window, Vertigo, etc :shrug: IMO, it's a bit slow actually. So far I'd put it in the high 80's. And it hasn't been near as scary as I was dreading. I suppose it was good for it's time, but I find the shower scene a bit cheesy. In fact, there has really only been one scene that has scared me so far. It was more like the Inferi in HBP, made me jump due to the sudden shock. As a whole though, the film hasn't made much of a lasting impression yet. But maybe I'm speaking too soon :lol: I'll edit once I finish and post my complete thoughts. Should I be preparing myself for something that's gonna blow my mind here at the end...? :whistle:

EDIT:

:wow:

That ending really was something! Not only did the twist(s) blow my mind (I can't believe I didn't figure it out, considering I've seen both Identity and Fight Club, which are films that copied the basic idea), but the suspense was so heavy I'm not sure I took a breath for minutes at a time :lol: My heart was literally racing, and like I was expecting someone to jump out from any corner of every room :scared: Alright, that bumps it up a bit...it's on par with those aforementioned :p

I feel this is worthy of a few re-watches at least, in part cause I want to see if I missed any clues...and also to try to spot any plot-holes :p

IenjoyAcidPops October 30th, 2009 10:33 pm

Crash - The most powerful film i've seen since...well, since Requiem for a Dream a month ago, so I guess it hasn't been that long, but still, excellent movie. It's disappointing in a way to see actors like Sandra Bullock and Brendan Fraser be so good here and then reduce themselves to lame romantic comedies for most of the time otherwise. A+

9th_Wonder October 31st, 2009 1:09 am

The Matrix - 10/10

IenjoyAcidPops October 31st, 2009 3:31 am

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Very good film, with a great sense of atmosphere and a standout performance from Werner Krauss as Dr. Caligari. B+ (It's kinda funny that, purely by coincidence, both of the silent films I've watched recently have been German horror films.)

lcbaseball22 October 31st, 2009 3:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5447139)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Very good film, with a great sense of atmosphere and a standout performance from Werner Krauss as Dr. Caligari. B+ (It's kinda funny that, purely by coincidence, both of the silent films I've watched recently have been German horror films.)

Wow, it's so old I'm surprised you were able to find it. I might have to give this a watch just to see how a silent film actually works :lol:

IenjoyAcidPops October 31st, 2009 3:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5447145)
Wow, it's so old I'm surprised you were able to find it. I might have to give this a watch just to see how a silent film actually works :lol:

It wasn't hard at all actually, Netflix has it streaming on their site and just as a standard rental.

lcbaseball22 October 31st, 2009 5:52 am

Dracula (1931)- 87%

If you want a no blood/no sex version of Dracula, this is the one for you :p None of the vampire attacks are even shown, it always cuts away before their neck is bitten so it's just implied. It deviates quite a bit from the novel (and moves quickly, omitting plot-points) but nonetheless it's a very good film. I think it's slightly better overall than the '92 version, but I prefer Gary Oldman's Dracula performance. :shrug:

padfoot__lives October 31st, 2009 6:54 am

Paranormal Activity - 10/10
This was honestly the scariest movie I've seen in my life, which says alot. I'm a big horror film junkie, but I wasn't expecting to get much from this movie, but all the hype was dead-on. It was very Blair Witch Project-esque in the sense that it was filmed with a sort of "documentary" feel. Though I think it's pretty apparent that these were not the real tapes from the so-called "true story" (I use this term lightly, because I don't really believe in demon posession and exorcism and all that). However, I really enjoyed how the suspense was built throughout the whole film. The final 10 minutes were by far the scariest, so much to the point where I covered my eyes. Honestly when it was time to leave the theater, I could barely walk because I was shaking :lol: This was the kind of movie where your fear lingers for a while after you get home. If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.

NumberEight October 31st, 2009 8:35 am

I just completed The Ring and The Ring Two. I really like these films. I am sure the original Ringu films are better but these suffice. They both get a "B" from me.

Edit: I watched three more films today.

Martyrs is a French film about a woman who was held captive and tortured. She eventually escapes and seeks revenge with her institution friend. The movie is very, very graphic, more so than Ŕ l'intérieur, which I semi-reviewed earlier in this thread. The first two acts are great and creepy but the third is where things get hectic. It's really difficult to watch. If you are a fan of French cinema, a horror film fan, and can take high doses of cinematic violence, I would recommend the film. If not, then stay away completely. I give the film a "B".

Dawn of the Dead(2004): This is perhaps the best horror film remake ever made. I think it is the perfect zombie film. It is also Watchmen director Zack Snyder’s feature debut. The opening scene alone film should get one hooked. The acting is top notch and the film has VING RHAMES! How can you not like him? I know that slow zombies make more sense logically but they aren’t really threatening. The use of fast zombies here makes a zombie apocalypse more frightening. Snyder’s direction is outstanding. My rating: A.

Shaun of the Dead: This is a hilarious zombie spoof. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are great together; they have so much chemistry. If you are versed in zombie films then the movie will be even more humorous, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Shaun of the Dead is director Edgar Wright’s first foray into feature films. This film can even be called a rom-com. My rating: A.

9th_Wonder November 1st, 2009 7:58 am

The Boondock Saints - 8.5/10

Some people love it, some people hate it. I found it quite entertaining. Looking forward to watching The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Paranormal Activity
- 6/10

This film was extremely disappointing. All the hype ruined it for me. It was basically another Blair Witch Project. The acting was believable. I was expecting to be scared senseless, instead I laughed at parts. Oh well...

DML1991 November 1st, 2009 10:53 am

This Is It - 8.5/10
It doesn't require you to be a MJ fan to appreciate this. I didn't grow up on MJ's music, in fact, I've rarely listened to any of his music. Let me say what my anticipation for this was: it's a cash in, a rushed documentary just put together in light of his death and released in theaters for the sake of money. Perhaps it was a cash in, but even at that, it's a great theater experience. You won't get the same level of energy on a regular tv screen probably, the theater is just about as close as we would have ever gotten to the real tour. However, I was wrong on the doc being rushed together for this release, obviously constructed only for rehersal footage, it's direction is top notch. The first half of the movie is perfect, the editing is impeccable, the scale of the performances is higher than anything I've ever seen. The second half doesn't quite have the energy of the first half, but it does by the end of it, you feel like you really got to know Michael Jackson just through his art. He was a very talented artist, and honestly, you feel sad when anyone dies, but his death didn't have the impact on me it had on many (like my parents, especially my mom) because I wasn't familiar with his music and had only really been familiar with him through the media, which wasn't so kind years back.... but everyone was talking about how it doesn't feel like he's dead, but for me, I don't think I really got the impact of his death until tonight. The man was talented, and he was on the edge of, what I believe this showed, to be the greatest tour in music history. It's a tragic story, but the movie doesn't use this to it's advantage or profit. It respects the man, and makes a great doc that's every bit worth the theatrical release.

lcbaseball22 November 1st, 2009 2:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by padfoot__lives (Post 5447208)
Paranormal Activity - 10/10
This was honestly the scariest movie I've seen in my life, which says alot. I'm a big horror film junkie, but I wasn't expecting to get much from this movie, but all the hype was dead-on. It was very Blair Witch Project-esque in the sense that it was filmed with a sort of "documentary" feel. Though I think it's pretty apparent that these were not the real tapes from the so-called "true story" (I use this term lightly, because I don't really believe in demon posession and exorcism and all that). However, I really enjoyed how the suspense was built throughout the whole film. The final 10 minutes were by far the scariest, so much to the point where I covered my eyes. Honestly when it was time to leave the theater, I could barely walk because I was shaking :lol: This was the kind of movie where your fear lingers for a while after you get home. If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder (Post 5447829)

Paranormal Activity
- 6/10

This film was extremely disappointing. All the hype ruined it for me. It was basically another Blair Witch Project. The acting was believable. I was expecting to be scared senseless, instead I laughed at parts. Oh well...

Hmm, quite conflicting views here...

I saw it myself and I'd have to say I fall right in the middle of you two. No, I wasn't scared senseless, but it was disturbing and I feel like it's a movie that could haunt you for a while. It's def a one and done movie though. It has no merit for a re-watch and there's a lot of "filler" :shrug:

So my score is an 80% or 8/10 :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by padfoot__lives (Post 5447208)
If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.

Yeah, probabably. I didn't see it in theatres, but I could see that atmosphere being scarier with everyone around you screaming. But I've never really heard guys scream. :huh: More likely they will say something like "holy ****!" That's how it was with me and my friend at least...

Anyways, in addition to the aformentioned I watched four other films last night. (all pretty short though, each around 90 min.) I guess I'll just quote what I posted on the Halloween Thread (which also has a more extensive review of Paranormal Activity) but add in the scores...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22
So, my friend and I watched Halloween, Trick 'r Treat, Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, and Shaun of the Dead (in that order)

The plan had been to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, but my friend soon realized that he'd already seen it so we watched Paranormal Activity instead. I wouldn't say any of them were particularly all that scary. Maybe I'm not as much of a scaredy cat as I thought... :lol:

On that note, something I was wondering....can anyone answer for why girls always scream at scary stuff? I don't get it. :hmm:

Well, the scariest thing was actually something that occured while we were watching Zombieland. This gang of what I think was teenagers were shining orange lasers in through the curtains and banging on the doors and windows. I don't think they took too kindly to us pretending like we weren't home so we didn't have to hand out candy. :lol: They stuck around for a good 5 minutes or so and a few of them even came around back to where our dog was barking outside. That was pretty much crossing the line into trespassing at that point and I went to grab my baseball bat cause I was afraid they were gonna do something to her or vandalize our property or who knows what. For a while I actually thought they were gonna try to break in. But just as I was thinking about going out and crushing skulls they left and we resumed our movie.

So anyways, back to the movies-

Halloween- 88%

Love the music. Of course the theme song is iconic and even though I hadn't seen the film before I have it on some Haunted House CD's. It's a little slow but builds up suspense fairly well. I thought it was odd how the killer seemed to be supernatural. Not what I expected. :shrug:

Trick 'r Treat- 87%

Once again I wasn't expecting supernatural elements. Trailer didn't really hint at this. But the film is full of it. It was cool though because it like combined pretty much all the Halloween lore into one film (zombies, werewolves, witches, vampires, etc) though it was a bit odd and gruesome at times. Oh, and there was a severe lack of exposition. The director seemingly trusts the audience to be capable of piecing together the puzzle based simply on what they see, which is kinda nice but not always for the best. :shrug:

Paranormal Activity- 80%

The mockumentary style was interesting but there is soo much filler. I think this movie is def over-hyped. Only the night-time scenes were scary and it was just a progressively building suspense, starting with small things and getting more and more creepy. What was frightening was you didn't know what was going to happen or where it was coming from. And far as I understand it this is quite different from most modern horror films where you can often guess what is going to happen and/or the scares are right in your face. And I must say, I was surprised to not find any nudity in the film either, especially with how the camera was in their bedroom every night. It's like this young couple never has sex. That seemed quite un-realistic, but whatever. Maybe it could be explained by the demon affecting their relationship.

Really it was pretty simple. I got more of the suspense feeling I do from like a Hitchcock film and it was more creepy than actually scary. For instance, I'm pretty sure I only jumped once. Overall, I'm again failing to see why people are calling it "the scariest movie of all time" :huh:

However, I could really see this being a film that could get under your skin and haunt you for a while. It is disturbing, no doubt. And the way it's shot, it feels real. The couple does a great job acting and you really sympathize with them. I was particularly impressed by the woman's acting. It was good, but I think they could've done more with it and gone further. BTW, I watched both endings and prefer the original that doesn't allow for a sequel. The theatrical version was lame. :shrug: The 3rd ending (which I didn't see but read about) wouldn't been ok too. :tu:

BTW, even though none had me jumping and screaming like I anticipated, I think they def seem to have got to my psyche. Before heading to bed I found myself going around the house checking rooms while carrying my bat. :lol: And so far I haven't been able to sleep. Even though there's probably a logical explanation, I keep thinking I'm hearing strange noises and it's freaking me out... :scared:

Now for the "comedies"

Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead- both 85%

I can't decide which was better. Both quite funny...but messed up in so many ways. I felt inhumane for laughing at a lot of it :whistle:

Morning_Star November 2nd, 2009 1:28 am

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 9/10. I really liked it, and it wasn't scary at all, like I had expected, when it was the movie they (my horror movie friends) had picked for the Halloween party. Biggest minus was the Norwegian subtitles. For once, the subtitles were rhyming just as much as what was sung, but whoever made the subtitles changed a lot of the words so much that it, to a certain degree changed the meaning. This would have been okay if it happened a few times during the movie, but it was almost all the time. Sometimes, what my eyes read was almost the opposite of what my ears heard, or it contradicted the story/universe of the movie.

9th_Wonder November 2nd, 2009 4:22 am

Just finished watching Reservoir Dogs. 9.5/10

One of the better crime films I've seen. Great acting, great plot, great movie.

lcbaseball22 November 3rd, 2009 3:33 am

The Shining- 89%

This is the first Kubrick film I've seen. It was a little strange but great. I mean "Tony, the talking finger" was stupid and I could have done without the psychic abilites and some other stuff. But the film is masterfully shot and I’d say it contains Jack Nicholson’s best performance. Maybe it was a bit too much too early, but he is creepy as hell in this film...simply an amazing actor and one of the best! :tu: I am tempted to say it’s a better villain performance than Heath Ledger’s Joker even! He so should have won an Oscar for it. I was under the impression he did actually, but it turns out he wasn't even nominated apparently! :wow: On the other hand, I did not at all care for Shelley Duvall, the actress who played his wife. Not very attractive and honestly it was also one of the worst and most annoying performances I've seen!!! :grumble:

As a whole, the film wasn't scary perse, but it was creepy and downright disturbing. The soundtrack was really ominous and added a great deal. And the nude scene was simultaneously one of the most erotic then disturbing scenes I've seen. I really was not expecting THAT! :scared:

One other complaint though is the film is TOO ambigeous (although some might argue this is a strength) and nothing was really explained. For instance, why was Jack in that photo at the end? :hmm: And am I the only one who thinks it is odd that the ghosts are not transparent? :whistle:

I suppose this review comes off as more negative than my score indicates, but I did really like it overall. :p There was a lot of brilliance.

The ending was especially well done (and set up and foreshadowed earlier in the film) and for the long running time I didn't feel it dragged.

AldeberanBlack November 3rd, 2009 3:37 am

Quote:

On the other hand, I didn't at all care for Shelley Duvall, who played his wife. One of the worst and most annoying performances I've seen!!!
Agreed. It's a shame he didn't get through that door with the axe.

Quote:

For instance, why was Jack in that photo at the end?
Based on my understanding, the hotel was consumed by an evil presence which had absorbed Jack into itself and its history.

Hysteria November 3rd, 2009 9:13 am

Happy Feet. Not sure what all the fuss is about. I must have missed the point (if there was one) of it. Rather than getting the 'accept people for who they are' message I got lots of messages which aren't all that kid-friendly, and I wasn't looking for them :shrug: 3/10. Dull.

lcbaseball22 November 3rd, 2009 10:21 am

The 6th Sense- 77%

I'm sorry to say I was dissapointed with this film considering it's reputation. :sigh: I'd heard great things about it from many different people but far as I recall, I had actually managed to stay unspoiled. :hmm: All I knew was this was the film the line "I see dead people" came from :lol:

Anyways, I guessed the twist just from the opening scene. It had to have a greater purpose or else it's inclusion was pretty pointless. And if you don't pick up on it then, it's made painfully obvious in the scene where the aforementioned line is spoken, due to the camera angles and the actors expressions and all. Plus, there's the clues that were recapped at the end. I honestly don't see how the twist surprised anyone. :shrug:

But setting the twist aside, I thought it was a very mediocre film. There was scenes that seemingly had no purpose (ie the school play) and it was quite dull and boring. It gave me the occasional jolt though with a few startling scenes :scared: And Bruce Willis is actually tolerable here.

Haley Joel Osment was the bright point of the film. Such a great young actor. I loved him in Secondhand Lions as well. Personally I wouldn't have minded at all if he had been cast as Harry Potter like was originally rumored when Steven Spielberg was considering as the director :p

EDIT: Apparently 50 First Dates spoiled the twist, which is a movie I've seen...but I don't recall this. Maybe I subconciously remembered :hmm:

Regardless, I just don't think this movie has much merit once you know the twist. I feel like it had more potential with a tighter script...

IenjoyAcidPops November 4th, 2009 5:31 am

The last film I saw was not a feature, it was a short film, "Un Chien Andalou" (by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali). If you're truly interested in film, you've probably heard of it or seen it - if not, see it. Now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Okay, are you back? Good. I don't quite know what to say about it here other than it's one of the most striking, vivid, certainly the most surreal pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen. Rating. N/A

Hysteria November 4th, 2009 6:48 am

Howl's Moving Castle. I really loved it. Not as good as Spirited Away IMO but still a wonderful film. Beautiful animation and music in particular. The only thing I wanted more of was character development- especially the relationship between Howl and The Witch of the Waste. Also, I would have liked Sophie to have been a little more shocked when the spell was cast on her. She accepted it a little too easily IMO. Beautiful characters though. I especially liked Turnip :) 8/10

lcbaseball22 November 4th, 2009 9:44 am

The Maltese Falcon- 93%

I watched this on my dad's recommendation and boy was it great! :tu: Some outstanding acting performances and hardly ever a dull moment.

It's a brilliant (albeit tad confusing) story and I doubt you could find a better man than Humphrey Bogart to play the lead actor. He has got such charm and charisma and delivers his lines with such ease, despite his slight lisp. Personally, I think he's better here than Casablanca.

It does have it's problems though. For one I did not find Mary Astor to be a very convincing femme fatale...she seemed too weak to me. :shrug: