Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Cloak (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Are we too old for Harry Potter? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=112034)

Rhye August 21st, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Yeah, I agree with, well, everyone else - you're never too old for Harry Potter.

Myself I've never heard that I would be too old (seventeen now) but another actually really annoying thing is when the bookstores put the HP books on the 9-11 or 9-12 years shelves. It's like "OK... we've got a book about a seventeen-year-old in which the guy's family has been murdered, and which features murder and torture, among other things. Hmmm... yes, I think it fits the 9-12-year-olds best."

Of course they DO fit the 9-12-year-olds... but all other ages as well, more than most other "childrens' books".

(I bother way too much about the 9-12-year-old shelves xD)

Alastor August 21st, 2008 6:20 pm

Me thinks that is only because PS was ranked 9-12 and keeping those 7 books on different shelves due to this kind of ranking would be very much not practical. :lol:

Mrs_D_Malfoy August 22nd, 2008 2:15 am

you know i can't really say anyone's too old for harry potter, especially when they have like a 20 year old playing a 14 year old boy :p

ColdGreyEyes August 23rd, 2008 9:17 pm

Ahahah, like everyone else has said.. I'd agree that you really can't be too old to be an HP fan. A lot of people hear that some 15-30 year olds like it, or some older than that, and they automatically go 'Why do you like it? Isn't that for children?'. I've never thought that about Harry Potter, even though when I first got into it I was around 12-years-old, I didn't consider it strange that it had a ton of older fans. People begin to wonder if they're too old to like the series anymore, but they forget the age of the author who wrote it. She thought up the entire world, through her imagination, at the age that she is.. because she loves her characters, and their world. In that way, she's a fan herself. Same could be said about the movie producers. So it's certainly not weird to like HP if you're above the age of 13.

vampiricduck August 24th, 2008 5:48 pm

No, I don't think we are. I mean, I look sometimes at the ages of people on these forums, and I see some amazing things. 13 year olds and 50 year olds have mature conversations based around these books.

Money can't buy you that benefit!

Harry Potter reached out to everybody, and I grew up with the Trio for sure. I don't think I'll ever be too old. I fully intend to read those books to my kids! :lol:

walcnevar August 24th, 2008 8:06 pm

I was told I was too old about five years ago :lol: Since then I mainly talk about it with people my age so it hasn't become an issue anymore

vampiricduck August 24th, 2008 9:32 pm

Whoever told you that had never read Harry Potter.
I think that's pretty clear.

:lol:

Shaylinmine August 25th, 2008 12:22 am

I love these books and once in a while I get the whole " don't you think your to old for harry potter" All I say is nope. I don't argue or try to defend myself. If someone wants to look down on me because i'm reading a book. I'm not going to worry about it.

firebolt57 August 27th, 2008 2:17 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaylinmine (Post 5121645)
I love these books and once in a while I get the whole " don't you think your to old for harry potter" All I say is nope. I don't argue or try to defend myself. If someone wants to look down on me because i'm reading a book. I'm not going to worry about it.

ditto!:p Seriously, this series has no age limit and anyone who won't read it because it's a "kids" book...well, I say it's their loss because, no joke, these books have shaped who I am.:love:

Oceans2342 August 27th, 2008 5:38 am

My English 11 teacher was in his 50s and was reading HP. Then one of my classmates (who is obviously much younger than him) tried reading it but said it was too "boring." So basically if you like the book, you like it, and age doesn't necessarily determine that. (My teacher said he appreciated it because of how it is written, but I'm sure he didn't mind getting lost in that world for a little while either :))

DobbysDa August 28th, 2008 12:52 am

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronny (Post 4776730)
I never said the books were all about that. But people judge the target audience of a book based on its content do they not? And in the Deathly Hallows, the first chapter no less, Voldemort kills a character and then invites his pet snake to devour the corpse. There are show trials based on blood purity. Fenrir Greyback makes some rather lurid comments.
No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book. And thus, the argument that any of us could be "too old" to enjoy reading the series is groundless, offensive, narrow-minded and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.

Quote:

No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book.
OMG!!! Ever read the Grimm Brothers or Hans Christen Anderson in the original ? Peter Pan? Even Alice in Wonderland -- "Off with her head!!"

Until Disneycorp came along, Kid Lit could pretty horrific stuff: seriously wicked stepparents, children abandoned kidnapped or threatened with death, giants stabbed and beheaded,

Peter Pan: "To die will be a great adventure," says Peter sitting on Drowning Rock ... and Hook gets eaten by a crocodile

Snow White: The Huntsman doesn't want to kill SW, so he kills a deer (Bambi's Mom?) and cuts out its heart to show the Queen. Eventually: "As punishment for her wicked ways, a pair of heated iron shoes are brought forth with tongs and placed before the Queen. She is then forced to step into these and dance until she falls down dead."

My favorite is The Little Meremaid: not only does she leave bloody footprints on the ballroom floor dancing with the Prince (Sea Witch: "Every step you take will be like walking on knives) not only does the Prince marry somebody else ... the Meremaid DIES, and not being Christian, is consigned to an eternal cold, damp, twilight half-life between fog and sea foam ...

The Victorians considered these to be entirely moral, instructive tales for their 9-13 year olds, but of course, they would never have tolerated the Snogging !

wickedwickedboy August 30th, 2008 11:59 pm

I agree - all books, no matter what age individual they are meant for, can be hugely entertaining for all ages. I still read comics and watch adventure based cartoons and as a matter of fact, will likely buy the upcoming TV series the Clone wars on DVD.

I recall OOTP came out while I was in the midst of my MBA degree and I took a 3 day train ride. In the middle of the first day, the waitress in the food car spilled hot coffee on me in my seat, so hot, it burned my skin right through my sweats. I had to sit on pillows the rest of the trip and moving around was painful. I was gratified to have OOTP with me because while reading, it took my mind away off the situation. I found it that engaging despite it presumably being for kids, so I would be the last person to say that adults can't enjoy HP books and many others like that series.

meesha1971 August 31st, 2008 1:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DobbysDa (Post 5124116)
OMG!!! Ever read the Grimm Brothers or Hans Christen Anderson in the original ? Peter Pan? Even Alice in Wonderland -- "Off with her head!!"

Until Disneycorp came along, Kid Lit could pretty horrific stuff: seriously wicked stepparents, children abandoned kidnapped or threatened with death, giants stabbed and beheaded,

Peter Pan: "To die will be a great adventure," says Peter sitting on Drowning Rock ... and Hook gets eaten by a crocodile

Snow White: The Huntsman doesn't want to kill SW, so he kills a deer (Bambi's Mom?) and cuts out its heart to show the Queen. Eventually: "As punishment for her wicked ways, a pair of heated iron shoes are brought forth with tongs and placed before the Queen. She is then forced to step into these and dance until she falls down dead."

My favorite is The Little Meremaid: not only does she leave bloody footprints on the ballroom floor dancing with the Prince (Sea Witch: "Every step you take will be like walking on knives) not only does the Prince marry somebody else ... the Meremaid DIES, and not being Christian, is consigned to an eternal cold, damp, twilight half-life between fog and sea foam ...

The Victorians considered these to be entirely moral, instructive tales for their 9-13 year olds, but of course, they would never have tolerated the Snogging !

And lets not forget the orginal version of Cinderella where one stepsister cut off her toes and the other cut off her heel to make the glass slipper fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy (Post 5126657)
I agree - all books, no matter what age individual they are meant for, can be hugely entertaining for all ages. I still read comics and watch adventure based cartoons and as a matter of fact, will likely buy the upcoming TV series the Clone wars on DVD.

I recall OOTP came out while I was in the midst of my MBA degree and I took a 3 day train ride. In the middle of the first day, the waitress in the food car spilled hot coffee on me in my seat, so hot, it burned my skin right through my sweats. I had to sit on pillows the rest of the trip and moving around was painful. I was gratified to have OOTP with me because while reading, it took my mind away off the situation. I found it that engaging despite it presumably being for kids, so I would be the last person to say that adults can't enjoy HP books and many others like that series.

Absolutely. :agree:

I got into Harry Potter through my kids and one thing I love about the books and movies is that they are something we can enjoy together as a family. It's very difficult to find something that all five of us enjoy because we have such different tastes in entertainment. But Harry Potter is something that we've all enjoyed together. Though I have to admit I'm the only one who enjoyed it to the point of getting on discussion boards and scraping up every bit of news about it I could find. :lol:

Meiko August 31st, 2008 2:42 am

Well, firstly, Harry Potter isn't for a particular age-group (at least from the fourth book onwards) so you can't be too old for it, and secondly, at 20 I'm still not too old for Lego, hide-and-seek, surprise Christmas presents and rolling down steep hills, so I'm definitely not too old for Harry Potter.

freelantzer August 31st, 2008 3:15 am

I'm sure some people are disturbed by how much I love HP. I did go on an HP fantrip with 40 other adults for the release of DH. I'm sure some people think that's a little over the top, but none have ever said that to me. Actually, plenty of other adults I know love HP as much as I do and think it is so amazing that I got to do that.

I mostly read young adult lit, anyway, and I don't really care what anyone thinks of that. Being a teacher, I want to know what books are out there and what I can recommend to my students. So I read tons of Y.A. stuff. But I haven't fallen in love with any of those books the way I have with HP.

vampiricduck August 31st, 2008 3:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiko (Post 5126767)
Well, firstly, Harry Potter isn't for a particular age-group (at least from the fourth book onwards) so you can't be too old for it, and secondly, at 20 I'm still not too old for Lego, hide-and-seek, surprise Christmas presents and rolling down steep hills, so I'm definitely not too old for Harry Potter.

You just raised a great point, I think. At 18, I'm not too old for anything of those things. I'm also not too old to wander through the Toy Kingdom in Harrod's. Nor am I too old for the Chronicles of Narnia, Snoopy Comics or Batman.

In fact, nobody is too old for anything of those. There are hundreds of things we could list here. I've never grown out of playing snap, silly a game though it is. I've never stopped loving candy floss or watching Disney movies.

It just so happens that Harry Potter falls in that range of ageless things, like Paddington, Rupert and Winnie before him. Beatrix Potter, Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl...

See where I'm going with this?:tu:
There are literally hundreds of things that bridge that gap. They're the good things, and the thing that really have persevered.

walcnevar August 31st, 2008 11:22 am

People just love growing up with things that can relate to their childhood they just don't let it go. I know people my age love discussing the programmes they used to watch when they were little and would even watch them again. They are just part of memories really

missmalfoy1 August 31st, 2008 6:13 pm

your never to old for harry potter!

vampiricduck September 1st, 2008 12:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmalfoy1 (Post 5127257)
your never to old for harry potter!

Hear hear!

Basically I think it comes down to the fact that Potter's quality is able to bridge generation gaps.

I can't very well be verbose about it, that's just what I view it as. And something that bridges generation gaps means that that thing is deserving of its status and should have no embarrassment or childlike shame attached to it.

I'm proud of Harry Potter. I mean, we were all a part of that. Imagine in a hundred years times, when Rowling might be up there with Dickens and our first editions will be worth a lot of money. It just means we had good taste! :lol::lol:

missmalfoy1 September 7th, 2008 4:59 pm

:lol: