Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Wizengamot Administration Services (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Comments on: CoS Forums (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=89430)

lanifiel May 14th, 2006 11:24 pm

Comments on: CoS Forums

Official Admin Sponsor(s): lanifiel, Morgoth, gertiekeddle, Alastor

This thread is for discussions on anything to do with the forums barring more specific issues related to technical problems.

You may also notice at the top of each forum is the official Admin Sponsor(s). Basically when an Administrator replies to this thread he or she will write in bold red Official Response on [subject]. For example, a person may ask about a particular rule on CoS, so an admin would respond in such a manner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
Official Response on Rule XX

The rule is blah blah blah...

This is to be taken as gospel and staff members will reply quoting this with any elaborations necessary at the time.

The official response will only ever be superceeded by an updated response to the original. You may however see other official responses but concerning different topics. Redundant responses will be deleted in place of new ones. A tally of our responses will be kept in a staff area.

Once an official response has been made it is the end of the matter and any further attempts to continue the discussion will be met with post deletion.

Staff members may of course reply to people until an official response is made by an Admin.

Thank you.

---

As you can tell I've restarted the thread. In addition the canon interpretation is no more. Enjoy

guad May 15th, 2006 10:06 am

Re: Comments on: CoS Forums

If I can make a comment here: (also regarding the second post in Ask the staff)

Honestly I don't really understand how you let some discussing take an influence on what rules or guidelines you have in these forums. I mean, why put up a list to be downargued in two days?

It's not a critic, I am just suprised. There are some rules I consider not to be totally fair or correct, but I would never expect you to change/remove them just because they generate polemic.

Just a random comment. :)

lanifiel May 15th, 2006 10:14 am

Its cool guad, its a valid question. To be honest it all came down to a cost benefit analysis. I couldnt be bothered dealing with the critique this morning. I had a busy day planned and the staff were pretty fed up with it as well. I also couldnt be bothered trying to do something to benefits the forum which was pretty much universally frowned upon so I removed it. Simple as that. I'm just gonna stop trying in the future. Its pointless :)

guad May 15th, 2006 10:50 am

Well, I can understand the analysis of the benefit of the rule and the energy lost by dealing with critiques. About universally frowned up, I haven't followed this, but I had the feeling that most people would have agreed on the rules. Obviously I was wrong, or maybe the universal frowning is just a smaller (but louder) group.*

I also guess that inside the discussions, specifically in the Hogwarts sections, the 'canon' evidence pretty much speaks for itself (at least it does for me ;) ...maybe I am too simple :lol: ).

*note that this is not a critique, just a subjective comment, I am not attacking any members or opinions here :rolleyes:

ComicBookWorm May 15th, 2006 10:56 am

Well not to beat a pathetically dead horse, I don't think it was universally frowned upon, but perhaps the "frowners" were just more vocal.

Although, I can understand not wanting the hassle. Too bad, I thought it was a useful list.

rotsiepots May 15th, 2006 12:16 pm

We'll work on it.

Morgoth May 15th, 2006 12:24 pm

Well, I can see why lanifiel didn't want the hassle, bearing in mind there are more important things in life to worry about. I myself have a guideline written that I had put on the shelf after lanifiel put his guide forward (which I didn't have issue with). Anyway, I'll see about posting mine in the next few days to the staff and if they like it'll go live and that's that.

BuDdY_LoVe May 15th, 2006 5:04 pm

well one thing that i would like you all to think about is ,
why not open the hogsmeade region for public..i mean i know that it is good to have competition and only let the best access the best region..but dont you think that this website would get more people as there would be fun-filled activities to do for all

if you cannot do this then kindly consider reducing the amount of eligible posts required to access hogsmeade..

please do not think that i dont like these forums...these are the best on the net in my opinion..trust me , i have seen many forums.

Pegasus May 15th, 2006 6:15 pm

There are plenty of members on this website. I don't think recruiting more is an issue. Hogsmeade is meant to be a reward for good posting habits and, like in the books, you have to be a third year to be considered. When you get really involved in these forums, it's really not that huge of a chore to rack up enough posts. (I think I did it in about a month.) Just relax and have fun; there's plenty to do here.
Incidentally, I think this belongs in the Comments on: Hogsmeade thread....

Madeline May 18th, 2006 12:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanifiel
Its cool guad, its a valid question. To be honest it all came down to a cost benefit analysis. I couldnt be bothered dealing with the critique this morning. I had a busy day planned and the staff were pretty fed up with it as well. I also couldnt be bothered trying to do something to benefits the forum which was pretty much universally frowned upon so I removed it. Simple as that. I'm just gonna stop trying in the future. Its pointless

I'm pretty bad when it comes to determining if someone's statements online are literal or not, so I had to tell you I hope you didn't really mean it when you said that you're going to stop trying to do stuff that benefits the forum in the future. Despite whatever reactions there were about the guidelines you made it's because of the efforts of the staff that CoS is so much better than a lot of the free for all forums that are out there.

Morgoth May 18th, 2006 1:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madeline
I'm pretty bad when it comes to determining if someone's statements online are literal or not, so I had to tell you I hope you didn't really mean it when you said that you're going to stop trying to do stuff that benefits the forum in the future. Despite whatever reactions there were about the guidelines you made it's because of the efforts of the staff that CoS is so much better than a lot of the free for all forums that are out there.

It comes down to whether the reward is worth the effort. If the reward is that people cannot/will not work with something, we're then left with the feeling that everything is a waste of time. That feeling passes in time and we come back to the idea of working with others. It's natural to feel deflated or infuriated by a lack of flexibility or understanding, that applies to everyone. But with CoS, it's a long way down the list of our Real Life problems and addressing the issues on here does require time out of RL, so when something does go wrong a person can be forgiven for thinking "I'm done with this."

Obviously it's easier to be a member of a web forum than it is to be a member of staff on a web forum. But one thing is for sure, lanifiel and all the staff have invested a great amount of time and energy on trying to improve things for everyone. The perception that one side is favoured over another is silly because it assumes we're invested personally in ensuring an unfair advantage for our 'favourites', which couldn't be farther from the truth.

anabel May 22nd, 2006 6:33 pm

What a great idea! *points at new title*

RaspberryJam May 22nd, 2006 6:44 pm

I really like this new idea. I also thought it was odd how someone with 2000 posts would have the same title as someone with 10 000, and this is much better! Thanks a lot Morgoth :)

Tane May 22nd, 2006 6:47 pm

I like the new title. I feel like I have finally graduated Hogwarts now.

Liselle May 22nd, 2006 6:48 pm

:tu: Nicely done.

I've finally graduated ;)

FirefightingMuggle May 22nd, 2006 8:32 pm

I also love the new user titles. It was a nice suprise to see a new title under my name today. Awesome!

FlyingPhoenix May 22nd, 2006 8:57 pm

How nice....I'm a teacher now, how ironic :p

Charmed May 23rd, 2006 2:08 am

Love the new titles!

ComicBookWorm May 23rd, 2006 2:16 am

The new titles are cool. They're a lot of fun.

kingwidgit May 23rd, 2006 2:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
The new titles are cool. They're a lot of fun.

:tu: Definitely, I'm lovin' mine!

Hey, CBW---you're a Grand Sorcerer! :wow: