Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=102725)

jordmundt6 March 25th, 2007 7:32 am

Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

True, particularly because we're not sure if Brom was with his Saphira long enough to appreciate or experience what it was like to actually BE a dragon. That's why the mutual instruction is so important.

voldermort1234 March 25th, 2007 3:20 pm

i liked the inheritance books my fave charecter is eragon

Venom3384 March 25th, 2007 8:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordmundt6 (Post 4409893)
True, particularly because we're not sure if Brom was with his Saphira long enough to appreciate or experience what it was like to actually BE a dragon. That's why the mutual instruction is so important.

Brom was definitely with his dragon for a long time (by my reckoning) because Brom experienced the full complement of Rider training (which Oromis said takes years) and time after the Rider training so it had to have been quite a while.

DixieWitch March 25th, 2007 9:40 pm

i wonder how much longer after saphira sr died brom joined the varden? if it says in the books i'm too lazy to go back and look.

maybe, building on the theory that i had earlier, (and forgive me if this has already been mentioned) brom might have fallen for selena to try to fill that gap that saphira's death left, wittingly or no.

Venom3384 March 25th, 2007 10:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixieWitch (Post 4411126)
i wonder how much longer after saphira sr died brom joined the varden? if it says in the books i'm too lazy to go back and look.

maybe, building on the theory that i had earlier, (and forgive me if this has already been mentioned) brom might have fallen for selena to try to fill that gap that saphira's death left, wittingly or no.

Didn't Brom found the Varden right after Saphira died?

jordmundt6 March 26th, 2007 11:05 pm

We know that Brom founded the Varden after Galbatorix took power but there's about eight decades in there that we can't account for. We know he founded them, we know he led them for awhile but found himself too driven for revenge to take on the job full-time.

Venom3384 March 26th, 2007 11:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordmundt6 (Post 4413495)
We know that Brom founded the Varden after Galbatorix took power but there's about eight decades in there that we can't account for. We know he founded them, we know he led them for awhile but found himself too driven for revenge to take on the job full-time.

We also know that there was a leader before Ajihad and that Ajihad led for a while, so that means the Varden was around for at least 50 years. So I think it was really close to when Saphira Sr. died that Brom founded the Varden.

RWeasleysgirl March 27th, 2007 2:18 am

Probably. :agreed:

scd March 27th, 2007 2:23 am

Does anyone have any ideas about who will be the next dwaf king, I'm not sure if Orik will become the next king or if there will be one voted in by the 13 tribes.

jordmundt6 March 27th, 2007 4:23 am

I think Orik's way too young (200 is just barely adult to the Dwarves). I think it's someone we haven't met yet which could be a HUGE problem for the Varden, particularly if the person chosen is an Dwarf isolationist.

Venom3384 March 27th, 2007 9:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordmundt6 (Post 4414230)
I think Orik's way too young (200 is just barely adult to the Dwarves). I think it's someone we haven't met yet which could be a HUGE problem for the Varden, particularly if the person chosen is an Dwarf isolationist.

200 is young? How old was the old king (I forgot his name). I thought he wasn't much older than a couple hundred years. It's not like they're elves.

mixedgurltuja27 March 27th, 2007 2:11 pm

Does anyone know when the third book is expected to be released?

aka_arty March 27th, 2007 3:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scd (Post 4409808)
I think she benifits from having him around, I'm not sure she could of learned half the things that she did during Eldest from Brom or someone else.

Definately, Brom couldn't help Saphira with much because he hasn't had that much experience with dragons as he had with the training that the Riders went through...he was one himself

Venom3384 March 27th, 2007 8:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_arty (Post 4414639)
Definately, Brom couldn't help Saphira with much because he hasn't had that much experience with dragons as he had with the training that the Riders went through...he was one himself

Why not? He had his dragon for quite a long time. At least 20 years since, as Oromis said, the Rider training takes a long time and Brom wasn't a new graduate from Rider training when Galbatorix rose to power.

And to answer somebody above...nobody knows when the book comes out.

scd March 27th, 2007 9:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom3384 (Post 4415110)
Why not? He had his dragon for quite a long time. At least 20 years since, as Oromis said, the Rider training takes a long time and Brom wasn't a new graduate from Rider training when Galbatorix rose to power.

And to answer somebody above...nobody knows when the book comes out.

But think how much Gladiar knows though compared to Brom, I'm sure that Saphira learning things hands on from another dragon is much more benifical (sp) than learning them second hand through a rider.

RWeasleysgirl March 27th, 2007 9:07 pm

Exactly, I would think it would be much easier to learn from another dragon than from a Rider.

Venom3384 March 27th, 2007 10:38 pm

Yeah, that's probably true, but I mean, Brom definitely knew wwwaaayyyyy more than Eragon did about Dragons at that time.

RWeasleysgirl March 27th, 2007 10:41 pm

Yes, but not nearly as much as Glaedr did. Besides that for some reason he must not have wanted Eragon to know he was a Rider, otherwise he would have told him at some point before he was on his death bed.

Venom3384 March 27th, 2007 11:11 pm

Yeah, that's true. But I don't know why Eragon didn't figure it out on his own. I figured it out as soon as Brom talked to Saphira...it was really obvious.

jordmundt6 March 28th, 2007 2:41 pm

As for how old Hrothgar was--I think it was close to a milennium or more--he saw the apex and the decline of the Riders. As for the rider thing--that was designed to be the big reveal for Book 1, just like Selena being married to Morzan was the big reveal for Book 2 (although we got anvil-sized hints about that during the Twins' interrogation in Book 1).