Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=102725)

jordmundt6 April 30th, 2007 4:59 pm

Re: The Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy) Thread v.2

There's a general target of summer 2008, but no one has any clue even as to the title, much less the release date. Also, remember that the release date for Eldest was announced and then got pushed back a year.

Padfoot_Returns May 5th, 2007 6:51 pm

I read Eragon awhile back, but only watched the movie last week. I felt like they cut half the book. The skipped some of the most important aspects, like training with Brom. They could've made the movie longer. It was less than 2 hours. If a person didn't read the book and then watched the movie, they would've got a really wrong idea of how the book was.

gertiekeddle May 5th, 2007 7:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annett (Post 4481905)
But wouldn`t Brom let in Eragon when he was dying, if Eragon was his son?

I just reread the last page and came back to this. If we assume there could be something to Eragon being Brom's son instead of Morzan's son (what may fit in the line that Murtagh was greatly failed by Galbatorix due to his plans), I wonder if the words Brom told Eragon as he died actually could have something to do with it. Eragon took care to hide that when the twins analysed his mind, but we didn't hear anything about it in book 2. Without being really clear about the Brom-Eragon theory yet, hose things always make me suspicious of the reasons behind it. :eyebrows:

guad May 5th, 2007 7:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gertiekeddle (Post 4496002)
I wonder if the words Brom told Eragon as he died actually could have something to do with it.

I always thought that they were these words in ancient language that he used later. But I could be wrong of course.

I personally have found several hints for the Brom-Eragon theory:

- The dragon: both their dragons have the same name.
- Oromis tells Eragon that he reminds him of Brom.
- The crazy bird in the elves knows something but he never tells Eragon who is his dad.
And most important: What Angela says: Brom has loved a woman and his love was her downfall. So, why should Selena really hide from Morzan if she was pregnant? Only because he was a violent man? Or maybe because she knew that the baby was not from him? So indeed Broms love would have been Selenas downfall. And we know that he knew and greatly missed her, he says so. :D

gertiekeddle May 5th, 2007 7:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by guad (Post 4496058)
- The crazy bird in the elves knows something but he never tells Eragon who is his dad.
And most important: What Angela says: Brom has loved a woman and his love was her downfall. So, why should Selena really hide from Morzan if she was pregnant? Only because he was a violent man? Or maybe because she knew that the baby was not from him? So indeed Broms love would have been Selenas downfall. And we know that he knew and greatly missed her, he says so.

I like that. Plus you see Garrow and Brom often mentioned in one sentence with the same function through both books. I think one time that fits to Oromis, too, but I prefer to ignore that. :p

Paolini also creates in such a mix of orthodox and unconventional fantasy writing that such plot line is likely.

RWeasleysgirl May 6th, 2007 5:05 am

Yeah, I’m a strong believer in Brom being Eragon’s father.

Padfoot_Returns May 8th, 2007 2:59 am

I'm sure this was talked about before, but does anyone else think that Arya was Eragon's mother or somehow related to him?

RWeasleysgirl May 8th, 2007 3:36 am

No, I don’t think that’s possible. It doesn’t make much sense, first of all, and Eragon is not at all of elven heritage.

grandaftershock May 8th, 2007 4:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padfoot_Returns (Post 4500480)
I'm sure this was talked about before, but does anyone else think that Arya was Eragon's mother or somehow related to him?

I think that's way to Oedipal for Paolini. Her being a relative would complicate matters on a level that most people really don't want to face! Kind of like Luke and Leia before he realized she was his sister.

SeverusLovesUs May 8th, 2007 7:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandaftershock (Post 4500579)
I think that's way to Oedipal for Paolini. Her being a relative would complicate matters on a level that most people really don't want to face! Kind of like Luke and Leia before he realized she was his sister.

Right, and I'm not only mentioning a possible love relationship between Arya and Eragon because of that question, but it made me wonder how everyone thinks it will play out? Will Arya be the one "of noble birth" that becomes Eragon's love? I think it is her-although Nasuada or Elva could also fit the bill.

scd May 8th, 2007 7:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeverusLovesUs (Post 4500757)
Right, and I'm not only mentioning a possible love relationship between Arya and Eragon because of that question, but it made me wonder how everyone thinks it will play out? Will Arya be the one "of noble birth" that becomes Eragon's love? I think it is her-although Nasuada or Elva could also fit the bill.

I'm a big suporter of Arya and Eragon, but I can also see it happening and not happening between them. I think there needs to be a lot of changes between them for it to happen.

Annett May 8th, 2007 9:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gertiekeddle (Post 4496002)
I just reread the last page and came back to this. If we assume there could be something to Eragon being Brom's son instead of Morzan's son (what may fit in the line that Murtagh was greatly failed by Galbatorix due to his plans), I wonder if the words Brom told Eragon as he died actually could have something to do with it. Eragon took care to hide that when the twins analysed his mind, but we didn't hear anything about it in book 2. Without being really clear about the Brom-Eragon theory yet, hose things always make me suspicious of the reasons behind it. :eyebrows:

Sorry, I found what you have written only now. I really would appreciate a function that would inform you when someone answered to you, at least when someone is quoting you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guad (Post 4496058)
I always thought that they were these words in ancient language that he used later. But I could be wrong of course.

I personally have found several hints for the Brom-Eragon theory:

And most important: What Angela says: Brom has loved a woman and his love was her downfall. So, why should Selena really hide from Morzan if she was pregnant? Only because he was a violent man? Or maybe because she knew that the baby was not from him? So indeed Broms love would have been Selenas downfall. And we know that he knew and greatly missed her, he says so. :D

And I`d like to add that I found it verry odd, if it was only because of Morzan`s violence, that she saved her unborn son, but not her born yet. This makes only sense for me ifthey have different fathers.

guad May 8th, 2007 9:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scd (Post 4500773)
I'm a big suporter of Arya and Eragon, but I can also see it happening and not happening between them. I think there needs to be a lot of changes between them for it to happen.

What I actually like about the whole Eragon-Arya plot right now is that Arya doesn't show the slightest interest in Eragon. He is like totally in love but she is pretty firm on that matter. She doesn't show any sign of attraction, merely sympathy and friendship.
She also made quite clear that she is still mourning her boyfriend who died (Faolin).

I think that the only thing that could make Arya change about Eragon would be time (like 100-200 years) and maybe if the last egg hatched for her. They could become closer while they share this.

I'm part minded on the dragon. Id' love Arya or Orik to become the last rider :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annett (Post 4500829)
And I`d like to add that I found it verry odd, if it was only because of Morzan`s violence, that she saved her unborn son, but not her born yet. This makes only sense for me ifthey have different fathers.

I think that too. Allthough it's of course possible that Paolini simply made her decide that way because he needed the brothers separated.

Annett May 8th, 2007 9:37 am

It is possible, but I always have a liking for little things with deeper meaning.

guad May 8th, 2007 9:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annett (Post 4500846)
It is possible, but I always have a liking for little things with deeper meaning.

Me too. :) And if it was JKR I would probably be more insisting on that point. But so far I'm unsure if Paolini uses the smalll hints in the same grade than JKR to hide or reveal some secret.

Annett May 8th, 2007 1:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by guad (Post 4500847)
Me too. :) And if it was JKR I would probably be more insisting on that point. But so far I'm unsure if Paolini uses the smalll hints in the same grade than JKR to hide or reveal some secret.

I totally agree. But I hope Paolini would use this interesting possibility.

scd May 8th, 2007 7:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by guad (Post 4500844)
What I actually like about the whole Eragon-Arya plot right now is that Arya doesn't show the slightest interest in Eragon. He is like totally in love but she is pretty firm on that matter. She doesn't show any sign of attraction, merely sympathy and friendship.
She also made quite clear that she is still mourning her boyfriend who died (Faolin).

I think that the only thing that could make Arya change about Eragon would be time (like 100-200 years) and maybe if the last egg hatched for her. They could become closer while they share this.

I agree, I think their realtionship will take time. She isn't ready and he needs to grow up a bit. Their realtionship may not even not be established until the end of the book.

grandaftershock May 8th, 2007 8:10 pm

I really liked that Arya resisted Eragon. It shows that her character has real substance--more than just a woman who may be wooed by the hero. I appreciated that, because, to me, it gave Paolini more credibility as a writer! He has really great characters and doesn't compromise them.

jordmundt6 May 8th, 2007 9:31 pm

Paolini's hints are more broad strokes--they're a lot subtler than some of the adventures I've read, but...not like JKR.

Twycross May 10th, 2007 1:03 am

I'm sorry, V.2?! How does a 600 page book where nothing happens become so popular. I read the whole thing and it was the most boring book I've ever read and that includes maths textbooks. You couldn't pay me enough to read through the second one. Seriously.