Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=95375)

SharksRNm1 July 17th, 2010 6:57 am

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

^I absolutely agree about that scene in OotP. While I really liked how they had Harry use Protego and slip into Snape's mind because it made the scene that much more emotional, I was really expecting a lot more. The whole young Snape/James/Sirius/Lupin/Pettigrew went by way too fast for me.

-I really enjoyed the sixth movie, despite the battle being ommitted and the lack of a spell cast on Harry on the Astronomy tower. Lavender on the train during Christmas break was hilarious, and the scene where Slughorn talks about the lily/fish he got from Lily was incredibly poignant. I also enjoyed the way they had McGonnagal get Harry and Ron into potions!

craiggles July 17th, 2010 7:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer (Post 5568517)
Snape coming 'round earlier and throwing himself in front of the trio once he sees the transformed Lupin.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...ic.preview.jpg

Alan Rickman's expression, the cinematography, and most importantly, it's likely one of the scenes that gave Jo "chills" because it foreshadows what we learn about Snape's mission as a reformed individual in the final book.

Oh, I loved that scene! I thought it was so brave of him, though I never would've predicted he'd turn out the way he did in DH. That moment was the first time I really felt for Snape.

ProtegoTotalum July 18th, 2010 6:20 am

The Felix scene, of course.

I love how Remus looked after transforming, as a werewolf...in the books it seemed like not much more than a big, vicious dog, and I feel the film version gives a lot more to show how really terrifying he is in that form.

I would guess maybe six months ago I was giving serious consideration to the merits of being a Death Eater, and as to whether or not I actually would be one had I been in the Potterverse. At that point I was leaning towards a yes...but then GoF was on ABCFam or something. The scene where Harry returns from the maze with Cedric's body completely changed that. When Amos ran out screaming for his son, sobbing...at that moment that scene was completely real for me. Was struck completely with the pain of a father losing his son, thought of how that was multiplied so much throughout the Wizarding world at that time, thought how Voldemort was the one responsible...whether this is ridiculous or not, for a few minutes the Potterverse was more real to me than it had ever been [which is saying something], just for that scene. Was...brilliant.

>.> yeah

snapes_witch July 18th, 2010 6:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiggles (Post 5570394)
Oh, I loved that scene! I thought it was so brave of him, though I never would've predicted he'd turn out the way he did in DH. That moment was the first time I really felt for Snape.

Yes, this is a favorite of mine too. Shows so much better how he was protecting Harry all along than the scene in the book where he merely takes them back to the castle on stretchers, though that does also indicate protection.

East July 18th, 2010 8:39 pm

In the fifth movie, they did the whole Voldemort possession thing a bit different than in the book. I liked the scene though, with the flashbacks and such. It wasn't necessarily better (cause really the books win every time) but I liked the idea quite a bit.

Jonny7003 July 18th, 2010 10:12 pm

I like both the books and films equally as I treat them as different mediums. I think it would be very foolish not to do so. So I cannot say which scenes are better in the films than the books, as they are both totally different entities.

cathairetic July 19th, 2010 8:28 pm

I do like being able to "see" Hogwarts, but unfortunately Hogwarts is a melange of many buildings around Britain and I have seen parts of it in other films!

Many things in the films do not appear as I pictured them in my mind's eye as I read the books.

The films and books are two separate entities as far as I am concerned and I still prefer the books.

willfitz July 19th, 2010 8:50 pm

There is really only one thing which I preferred in the movies, and that was in the Philosopher's Stone, when Harry overhears Snape and Quirrell's conversation in the hallway instead of in the forest. I always thought that Harry's spur of the moment solo flight around the campus without supervision was a little odd, and out of place. Piggybacking it onto his journey to the Mirror of Erised fit better, in my opinion.

CROOKshanks1919 July 19th, 2010 9:03 pm

i really liked the talking head in POA on the night bus..i thought it was a cute little addition, but other than that, i think that the movie don't have anything the books don't

HedwigOwl July 20th, 2010 4:45 am

I really like the movies, but better than the books?......that's a no for me.

RWHPHG July 20th, 2010 5:29 am

The movies don't have anything on the books. I hate how in the HBP movie Dumbledore has Tom Riddles diary but back in the CoS movie he let Harry have it so he could slip Dobby the sock.

Jonny7003 July 20th, 2010 8:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWHPHG (Post 5572146)
The movies don't have anything on the books. I hate how in the HBP movie Dumbledore has Tom Riddles diary but back in the CoS movie he let Harry have it so he could slip Dobby the sock.

Harry could have given the diary back to Dumbledore off screen. :relax:

charlzton July 20th, 2010 6:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny7003 (Post 5572193)
Harry could have given the diary back to Dumbledore off screen. :relax:

Lol why would he randomly give it back?

_Moony_ July 20th, 2010 7:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlzton (Post 5572404)
Lol why would he randomly give it back?

But why would he keep it after everything that happened ? I wouldn't want to keep it either, Harry only has bad memories connected to it and would probably feel uncomfortable if he kept it. But he would probably feel uncomfortable throwing it away too, because it's not just a random book, but Tom Riddle's diary and so I think it's quite logical that he would give it to Dumbledore. He's the most obvious person to give it to.

One thing that I really liked more in the movies than in the book was definitely the flight on Buckbeak in PoA, to me that's one of the most beautiful scenes in the whole (movie) series, while in the book, the flight was pretty short and not particularly exciting.

teenagekicks July 20th, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm a massive Ron/Hermione shipper, so I loved the Amoretia scene in HBP. Hermione never finishes her sentence in the book, so we don't even know what it is, so I liked that extra touch.
Albeit most of the time I curse loudly when there are bits missing or done different; Neville and the gillyweed is a very good example of which I was outraged, like WHAT THE?! And shouted audibly in the cinema.

PotterFanDuh July 21st, 2010 3:20 am

In the movies, they show the grandeur of Hogwarts. For me personally, it was what I was visualing while reading the books too (but I had seen the first 4-5 movies already before reading the books). The movies just show every angle and part of the castle - the mysterious corridors, the cozy little dormitory rooms, the whimsical moving staircases and the talking portraits, the castle in its entirety and so forth. Additionally, I love Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape. He got the "sweeping like a bat" thing down and everything. I mean, I love the books' descriptions of Snape, but I love the way Rickman acts out the character even more. (Especially him smacking Ron with...whatever he smacked him with in OotP movie.)

I also enjoy the cool music. But it's not like the book could've done that part any better.

craiggles July 21st, 2010 5:52 am

I really like the scene when Lavender and Ron first kiss in HPB, and Hermione runs off. There's a line that I'm sure isn't in the book - Hermione tells Harry "I've seen how you look at her, you're my best friend," and I just think it's so adorable. :)

mugglebrnwitch July 21st, 2010 7:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiggles (Post 5572872)
There's a line that I'm sure isn't in the book - Hermione tells Harry "I've seen how you look at her, you're my best friend," and I just think it's so adorable. :)

I love that part too!

I really like in GOF where they show Neville practicing how to dance and then when they show him coming in later than everyone else because he was dancing all night...I liked it because you dont see that in the book, but its something that makes Neville special (other than his love for Herbology)

The_Void_68 July 21st, 2010 5:21 pm

One thing that springs to mind is Harry's fight with the Basilisk in CoS. In the book it was quite short and simple, I like how in the film they extended it, had it the battle go through the sewers and to the top of Slytherin's statue. It just made the event seem a little more "epic".

I prefer Bellatrix Lestrange's character in the movies too. In the books, she just never really stood out to me as a character, to me she was a just another named Death Eater that was notably powerful. In the films, they made her extra-crazy, extremely unhinged, which is a simplistic move but I think it makes her character stand out a lot more, and HBC plays her well.

minimart1995 July 21st, 2010 5:36 pm

I definitely like Aragog's funeral better in the movie than the book. :) Its more comical and not as serious as it was in the book.