Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Music (Entertainment) (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Singer with the best vocals? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122469)

xFluerDelacourx August 25th, 2009 2:16 am

Singer with the best vocals?

This is supposed to be different from the other thread asking whats your favorite muscians. I'm asking what singer (either solo or from a band) do you think has the best vocals? For me I would say Freddie Mercury from Queen was one of if not the best singers to ever live. Celine Dion and Sharon En Del (sp?) from Within Temptation are also very good.

xFluerDelacourx August 26th, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Singer with the best vocals?

Anyone?

Tams23 August 26th, 2009 8:17 pm

Oh. I wouldn't say Céline Dion got nice vocals, she sounds really stretched to me... Whatever that means. :P Only my opinion tho. :)

Without thinking much about it, let's say Jeff Buckley..:love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGuV18oHw18

And Roy Orbison, he's got the smoothest voice ever! You can't resist him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9AwR0awVQ

I'll think about it..

Melaszka August 26th, 2009 11:33 pm

Do you mean "technically most proficient" or "the voice I personally like the most"? A lot of my favourite vocalists don't technically have the best voices (one of my favourite vocalists has this tendency to go off into a high-pitched, off-key nasal whine when he gets emotional), but there's just something individual about them that I love. A lot of technically excellent singers leave me cold, because I find their voices not particularly individual.

Singers I love who do also strike me as being jaw-droppingly technically proficient include Aretha Franklin, Kate Bush, Alison Moyet.

PureBloodGirl August 26th, 2009 11:47 pm

From all the bands I've listened to, I've picked out four singers that sound great to me and have amazing vocals. Freddie Mercury from Queen was great. Amy Lee from Evanescence is amazing, one of my all time favorite female singers. Matt Bellamy from Muse is also great. Some people think he can't sing, but really, he has one of the most unique voices ever (or at least I think so). Last is Florence Welch from Florence + the Machine who is brilliant and now one of my absolute favorite singers.

Melaszka August 26th, 2009 11:52 pm

Oh, and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin.

xFluerDelacourx August 27th, 2009 1:28 am

I guess I'm mostly asking who you personally like vocalwise.

lcbaseball22 August 27th, 2009 2:13 am

Hmm, well for male singers no names are coming to me right now as having amazing vocals. I'll have to think about that more. :hmm:

As for female singers, there are lots. Maybe it's just a preference, but I believe girls in general are better singers. They have sweeter, softer, sexier, etc voices. Here are some personal favs and/or those I know are famous for/associated with having incredible vocals:

Celine Dion
Martina McBride (she's been called the "Celine Dion of country music")
Carrie Underwood
Mariah Carey
Sarah McLachlan
Faith Hill
Shania Twain

SiriusBrown August 27th, 2009 2:17 am

I'd go with Freddy Mercury

madbouthp August 27th, 2009 2:26 am

Leona Lewis ... Hands down, has got the best voice I have heard in years

But, if I was looking at the best vocal in a band, I would of said Hayley Williams from Paramore. Love her

lcbaseball22 August 27th, 2009 2:26 am

BTW, don't get me wrong. I don't dislike male singers or only listen to female singers. I actually probably listen to male artists more. I just don't typically listen because of vocals and it tends to be more rock. I find girls aren't as good with rock, different type of voice required. :shrug:

I'm still trying to come up with some good male vocalists...two I really like (they have more "girly voices") are Keith Urban and Brad Paisley

Shingie August 27th, 2009 10:51 pm

I like Carrie Underwood, I wouldn't say she's got the best vocals, but her voice is powerful.

Also, I like Vitas. He's awesome.

The lead singer from SR-71 was cool too, although I'm not sure he's singing anymore. :cool:

lcbaseball22 August 28th, 2009 1:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingie (Post 5403365)
I like Carrie Underwood, I wouldn't say she's got the best vocals, but her voice is powerful.

Well, she's won the best female vocalist award for the past 4 years! :p Personally I think she actually sounds better live than on album. :tu:

This shouldn't come as much of a suprise however, considering she got her start by winning American Idol, which required her to consistently perform live and have good vocals. But this is a mark of a truly great singer, in my opinion. Nowdays too many really can't sing, they just doctor em up in studio to sound good. A perfect example would be Taylor Swift. I like her on radio but she sounds awful live.

She would never win an award for vocals, if it were up to me. She wins awards because he songs are popular, not because she can sing well.

Of course, even the worst professional singers are probably a heck of a lot better than the average person :lol:

Fawkesfan1 August 28th, 2009 2:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5402729)
Hmm, well for male singers no names are coming to me right now as having amazing vocals. I'll have to think about that more. :hmm:

As for female singers, there are lots. Maybe it's just a preference, but I believe girls in general are better singers. They have sweeter, softer, sexier, etc voices. Here are some personal favs and/or those I know are famous for/associated with having incredible vocals:

Celine Dion
Martina McBride (she's been called the "Celine Dion of country music")
Carrie Underwood
Mariah Carey
Sarah McLachlan
Faith Hill
Shania Twain

All of these singers have good voices. Mariah Carey used to in my opinion, until she started whining while she sings :lol:. I'm sorry but that kind of ruined it for me. Her older stuff was good though.

As for general...

Martika (from Kids incorporated fame) has an incredible voice...
Whitney Houston... still does to a point, but back in the 80's and early 90's, her voice was just incredible...
Michael Jackson had a good voice as well, and he was talented.
Steve Perry (Journey) -- has one heck of a voice himself... just listening to some of the songs he fronted gives me chills.

Hysteria August 28th, 2009 5:34 am

I think it also depends on genre. You cant really compare the voice of a pop artist to that of a metal artist.

Rock: Matt Bellamy of Muse, Stephen Christian of Anberlin and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin
Alternative: Thom Yorke of Radiohead
Metal: Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil, Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy
Other: Andreas Bergh of Deathstars
Pop: So computerised, cant tell

Quote:

lcbaseball22
I find girls aren't as good with rock, different type of voice required.
Hmmm there are plenty of amazing females in rock.

Quote:

Of course, even the worst professional singers are probably a heck of a lot better than the average person :lol:
:lol: I'd beg to differ in a few cases :scared: There's an Australian pop duo called The Veronicas. Anybody who has ever seen them live (I was reviewing the band they were supporting) knows they are just... painful. And I'm not just saying that. Their parents work for a record label... it all makes sense once you know that.

xFluerDelacourx August 28th, 2009 10:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 5403648)
I think it also depends on genre. You cant really compare the voice of a pop artist to that of a metal artist.

Not all pop artists lip synch and its really unfair to assume something like that. Especially older popstars didn't lip synch. And why does vocals along with a supposedly"computerised" sound necessarily make them a bad singer? People like Micheal Jackson and Barbra Striesand are very good vocalist.

Besides how can you hear a good voice clearly with heavy instrument playing? Which is the case for alot of metal. I'm not saying its bad music by the way. Though its not particularly my thing.

NickHeartsMat August 29th, 2009 4:54 pm

I think this is pretty subjective, but for me the peoples I love to listen to over and over again are pretty varied.

For guys:

I love James Hetfield from Metallica- something about his voice is so amazing to me :p

Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray. Wow his voice is super sexy to me. I could listen to him all day, seriously.

Jason Mraz, I love him. Love, love him. Plus he is good live, which is always really nice.

I am going to have to get back to you on girls, I have to think about them a lot because there are so many I love :lol:

xFluerDelacourx August 29th, 2009 5:08 pm

You guys really picked alot of good ones. I usually prefer female singers over guy singers. Something about there voice is so amazing. I also think some of the best singers come from rock (especially Classic Rock) and Adult Pop. Theres also really good Country singers.

Fawkesfan1 August 29th, 2009 8:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx (Post 5404663)
You guys really picked alot of good ones. I usually prefer female singers over guy singers. Something about there voice is so amazing. I also think some of the best singers come from rock (especially Classic Rock) and Adult Pop. Theres also really good Country singers.

Seconded there xFluerDelacourx. It seems as if a lot of really good singers come from rock (especially Classic Rock) and Adult Pop. From the looks of things, those kinds of songs require more emotion and range to a point.

Hysteria August 30th, 2009 8:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx (Post 5404172)
Not all pop artists lip synch and its really unfair to assume something like that. Especially older popstars didn't lip synch. And why does vocals along with a supposedly"computerised" sound necessarily make them a bad singer? People like Micheal Jackson and Barbra Striesand are very good vocalist.

That was just an example. I could have said metal/hip hop, rnb/jazz or anything. You cant compare any genres to each other because vocal styles are so different.
And by computerised I mean the voices are so terribly altered on CD there's not really anything left of the artist's original voice. I like some industrial music which has altered vocals but that's part of the art. I feel like pop music lies most of the time (note I'm not saying ALL) because there's no suggestion that the voices are anything but natural and I can prove it. All you need is to hear an artist live and compare them to the CD version. I'll find an example later. Also, I'm not saying this happens with all artists, I know some pop artists genuinely have good voices but I think the ratio of good vs bad is much greater leaning in the 'bad' direction in pop than in other genres.

Quote:

Besides how can you hear a good voice clearly with heavy instrument playing? Which is the case for alot of metal. I'm not saying its bad music by the way. Though its not particularly my thing.
At least it's the real voice and anybody who's listened to metal knows the instruments don't distort the voice and there's no trouble in distinguishing sounds. I've been a metal fan for a decade and haven't yet found an artist whose voice I haven't heard over the instruments.