Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Recommendations in fantasy literature (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=130834)

Siriusandme December 30th, 2011 3:08 pm

Recommendations in fantasy literature

Does anyone know any good fantasy books I could read? I love LotR, the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix, Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, Harry Potter (duh!!) and I'm looking for some more... I've tried reading a Game of Thrones but had trouble getting through it.

Many of the series my local bookstore sells contain god knows how many books and seem a bit intimidating.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mundungus Fletc December 30th, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Recommendations in fantasy literature

Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett and er ... Terry Pratchett (The Discworld books)

The first two books (Light Fantastic and Colour of Money) aren't that good but thereafter they are excellent imo (and very funny). They don't have to be read in sequence but there are some story arcs which are best followed (Wiki has a bibliography)

Like you I tried Game of Thrones but found it lacking

TheMarvelousJar January 5th, 2012 1:02 am

The Bridge Guard, Jarvis K. Jordan. http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...shelf/center/2

Siriusandme January 7th, 2012 12:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc (Post 5955850)
Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett and er ... Terry Pratchett (The Discworld books)

The first two books (Light Fantastic and Colour of Money) aren't that good but thereafter they are excellent imo (and very funny). They don't have to be read in sequence but there are some story arcs which are best followed (Wiki has a bibliography)

Like you I tried Game of Thrones but found it lacking

The main problem with the bookstore where I live is that, and it is a great store, it’s fantasy section is a bit small. Especially the english fantasy section. So, when it comes to series the usually have book 3, 6, 7, 9 but not the rest. I would have to order the first book in the series without knowing wether I even like it. And for some extremely weird reason I prefer holding a book, feeling it, looking at the cover and reading the summary on the back, before I buy it.

I think I’ll try game of thrones and mists of avalon again, with aragon there was about 1 year in-between starting the book and finishing it. I just couldn’t get past the first few pages but did like it in the end.

Mundungus Fletc January 7th, 2012 3:02 pm

If you go to Amazon they have second hand copies for a penny - I understand what you mean about actually checking out the book but Pratchett is very good. Start with Wyrd Sisters (the witches) or Guards Guards (the city watch)

Selencia_Noit1 January 7th, 2012 6:02 pm

Well I'll recommend :

-Literature by J.R.R.Tolkien - I saw you read The Lord of The Rings.I can recommend :

Bilbo Baggins:There and Back Again (The Hobbit) A story for The middle Earth,Bilbo Baggins goes on a dengerous mission with Gandalf.It's interesting book I like it reminds me for The Lord of The Rings or more precisely the opposite. :D

The Silmarillion.Another incredible fantasy book.

The Children of Húrin.The story is mainly based on the legend of Kullervo.

I can recommend many other books.If you like the world of Diablo,Warcraft,Knights of Camelot or Shannara I can tell you some nice books about them. :)

Siriusandme January 7th, 2012 6:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selencia_Noit1 (Post 5961290)
Well I'll recommend :

- The books of the row "The Heritage" by Christopher Paolini.They are three books for now.The the last,fourth book expect to released in the mid of 2012.The first three books are Eragon,Firstborn and Brisingr.

-Literature by J.R.R.Tolkien - I saw you read The Lord of The Rings.I can recommend :

Bilbo Baggins:There and Back Again (The Hobbit) A story for The middle Earth,Bilbo Baggins goes on a dengerous mission with Gandalf.It's interesting book I like it reminds me for The Lord of The Rings or more precisely the opposite. :D

The Silmarillion.Another incredible fantasy book.

The Children of Húrin.The story is mainly based on the legend of Kullervo.

I can recommend many other books.If you like the world of Diablo,Warcraft,Knights of Camelot or Shannara I can tell you some nice books about them. :)

Christophers books are called Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance aka the Inheritance cycle. The last book was released a few weeks ago and I have read them all except the last one (see my first post). I have yet to buy it. The books a quite good but I prefer the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. Those books are great..

As for LotR, I have read the books, the Silmarillion, am about half way through the Hobbit and have read about half of the Children of Hurin. The last was a bit too depressing for me.. I gave up on it.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux January 9th, 2012 10:48 pm

Dresden Files, Chronicles of Narnia, His Dark Materials, Dragonlance?

I particularly recommend Dresden Files and His Dark Materials, absolutely fantastic.

Spacecadet January 10th, 2012 3:19 pm

I agree his dark materials is great. I also really enjoy the secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel by Michael Scott, fantasy mixed with mythology and historical people, its a really neat blend.

horcrux4 January 20th, 2012 6:51 am

I'm very fond of David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series - there are 5 books in each series so plenty to go at! I like Garion as a hero better than Sparhawk who is the protagonist in Eddings' other well known series.

And I agree with Mundungus Fletc about Terry Pratchett - his books are hilarious and so well written. And they have the advantage that you can read them in any order.

RikuStark January 24th, 2012 5:32 am

Narnia! Also a YA series that I find to be very good, The Iron Fey series. The first book is called The Iron King. :agree:

Also, A Girl of Fire and Thorns, another one I found to be great!

LyannaS November 14th, 2012 8:22 am

Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series and Elemental Masters series

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series

Andre Norton's Witch World series

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series and Avalon series

Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori series

Jennifer Roberson's Sword Dancer series and Chronicles of the Cheysuli series

George R.R. Martin's collections of short stories, and his shorter novels are an excellent read. Those of you who got discouraged by Song of Ice and Fire (I can understand that, though I myself am a fan - sometimes it's heavy going), try his shorter fantasy fiction, like A Song for Lya which won the Hugo award way back when.

BTW, "Lya" in that novelette is short for "Lyanna", as in Lyanna Stark - he must like that name a lot! :huh:

MrsLupin November 14th, 2012 11:51 pm

The Dresden Files are amazing, as is the Percy Jackson series. The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is also good. Those are all urban fantasy books. Pure fantasy you can't beat Chronicles of Narnia or Dave Duncan's A Man of His Word series. Good luck!

Wab November 15th, 2012 12:21 am

Neil Gaiman, particularly American Gods and Neverwhere.

Mulatto November 15th, 2012 12:33 am

Try Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

DMAndrews November 17th, 2012 8:53 pm

I've not read Neil Gaiman, but I wasn't too keen on the Stardust film. Percy Jackson is quite good, though I'm more of fan of Tolkien and Jordan and Rowling.

I did read a great indie fantasy a few months ago called "The Wizard of Time". It's got a hint of Percy Jackson in it perhaps, and is probably aimed at around mid-teens and up. As an author myself I had the opportunity to interview the author - you can read that at http://www.writers-and-publishers.com/?p=177

LyannaS November 23rd, 2012 6:25 am

This is an old series, I had almost forgotten about it. I don't even know whether it's still in print. But if it is, I'd recommend Zenna Henderson's The People series.

"The People" are extra-terrestrials who totally resemble humans, can even intermarry with us, but have ESP powers, mostly telekinesis and levitation. They have to evacuate their home planet following a disaster, some of them end up on Earth and try to blend in, amidst suspicion and intolerance ("Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"). It's a very good read, if a bit dated. No one would think of raising an eyebrow at "flying" or "accio' ing" nowadays. :lol:

Weatherby October 29th, 2013 12:11 pm

I'd recommend The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliette Meriller. I loved her YA book Wildwood Dancing as well which is a retelling of the dancing princesses.
Sharon Shinn is one of the best fantasy novelists. She also writes great scifi books. Summers at Castle Auburn, The Shape-Changers Wife, Archangel, etc.
Diana Wynn Jones- Fire & Hemlock and Howl's Moving Castle.
The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley.
The Dark Angel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.
Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series is a good place to start in the Discworld series.
Patricia C Wrede is good.
Gormenghast Trilogy by Meryvn Peake.

HRW October 30th, 2013 11:13 am

A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty much a must read if your a fantasy fan. The best fantasy series of all time in my book.

Another obvious choice is Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Fantastic read.

Lash Dresden January 3rd, 2014 6:11 am

The odds of anyone seeing it at this point are probably nil, nevertheless I will recommend Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.