Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Wizengamot Administration Services (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Comments on: Reporting Posts (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=106022)

Jessica June 6th, 2007 7:17 pm

Comments on: Reporting Posts

2 Attachment(s)
As we get nearer to the release date one of our most critical tools is going to be the Report Post function. This is the best, quickest and easiest way to communicate with the staff in instances when instant action is required.

What SHOULD be reported:
Spamming, rude posts, spoilers, anything that should be immediately removed.

What should NOT be reported:
Duplicate threads, theories you don't agree with (as long as they're expressed politely), anything that does not require instant action.

How to report a post:

http://www.cosforums.com/attachment....1&d=1181153174

Click on the http://www.cosforums.com/images/oof/buttons/report.gif in the upper right hand corner of each post as circled above. (In some styles the report post button looks the same, but is on the left side under the user's name) This will take you to the screen below.

http://www.cosforums.com/attachment....1&d=1181153174

Fill out the reason for reporting. If this is obvious not much description is necessary. If this is one sentence in a long post then quoting that sentence can be very helpful. Hit submit.

The staff will immediately see and evaluate the reported post. In most cases, action is basically instantaneous.

Please ask any questions on reporting posts in this thread.

Rell June 8th, 2007 1:31 am

Re: Questions/Comments on Reporting Posts.

If there is a thread that is getting innapropriate, or argumentative, but the problem is not one or two specific posts, what is the best way to bring it to the attention of a staff member?

SageThyme June 8th, 2007 1:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rell (Post 4554397)
If there is a thread that is getting innapropriate, or argumentative, but the problem is not one or two specific posts, what is the best way to bring it to the attention of a staff member?

If you see this happening, please owl any staff member you see online immediately. It will be addressed in short order.

Jessica June 8th, 2007 1:35 am

You can also report a representative post and just make it clear in your report that the problem is the whole thread and not just one or two posts :)

Rell June 8th, 2007 1:37 am

Ok thank you :)

mexicant June 8th, 2007 5:12 am

What if we're not sure about something being a spoiler or not?
Should we just look for language that is saying something is certain and assume it?

Alastor June 8th, 2007 5:17 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicant (Post 4554732)
What if we're not sure about something being a spoiler or not?
Should we just look for language that is saying something is certain and assume it?

Report it and let the staff decide.

But if it's in Divination Studies and clearly presented as speculation, then it's OK.

mexicant June 8th, 2007 5:41 am

So if something is very speculative and not in Divination studies, report?

I think I'm confusing myself. :lol:

Alastor June 8th, 2007 5:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicant (Post 4554777)
So if something is very speculative and not in Divination studies, report?

I think I'm confusing myself. :lol:

You might perhaps trust your own judgement. :) If it really looks like pure speculation, then leave it, when in doubt, report.

mexicant June 8th, 2007 6:07 am

:lol: Okay, let's hope my brain does not fail me.

Jessica June 8th, 2007 6:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicant (Post 4554815)
Okay, let's hope my brain does not fail me.

*bites tongue*

Must. Not. Make. Snape. Joke.

I mean. . .I trust your judgement completely :)

lil_snuffles June 8th, 2007 4:50 pm

This is a very good idea because if staff misses the post and someone else sees it, they will let the staff know! Good idea :tu:

PotionA June 8th, 2007 5:14 pm

Is it absolutely essential to fill out the description box?

Jessica June 8th, 2007 5:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotionA (Post 4555606)
Is it absolutely essential to fill out the description box?

No, only if it's not immediately obvious why you're reporting it.

guad June 12th, 2007 1:31 pm

A general question, what if we see a duplicate threat or a thread that is at the wrong place? Is it encouraged to owl a staff member (if they are not being removed after a time) or just let it pass?

gertiekeddle June 12th, 2007 1:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica (Post 4551744)
What should NOT be reported: Duplicate threads, theories you don't agree with (as long as they're expressed politely), anything that does not require instant action.

No, please don't report duplicated threads or threads, wich are posted in wrong forums, if there's nothing else to them. Neither by report button nor by owl. Most the time staff gets them very fast. If we can let one stay, we're actually happy. :)

YellowPoofBall June 14th, 2007 12:47 am

Can you all see who is reporting the post or just that a post is being reported? Just curious.

lanifiel June 14th, 2007 12:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall (Post 4566864)
Can you all see who is reporting the post or just that a post is being reported? Just curious.

We can see the person reporting the post as well. :)

Chris June 14th, 2007 1:21 am

Having received an OWL in response to a post I reported once, I can assure you they do know who reports it.

Any easy way to tell what crosses the line? And, I don't know if this is feasible or not, but is there any way to give examples of "yes, report this" or "no, no need to report this"? I'm naturally not asking for actual "reported posts" to be put on here, but maybe just an "example" or two? If it isn't feasible, no worries :).

Jessica June 14th, 2007 1:25 am

Just to clarify, ONLY staff knows who reported the post. We will not share that information with anyone else under any circumstances.

As for examples: anything with foul language, anything that is directly insulting to another member, anything that purports to be a spoiler, anything that is exceptionally rude, etc. I'll refrain from doing more than generalities for obvious reasons. :lol: