Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   "separated by a common language" (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=113174)

Hysteria January 27th, 2010 1:36 am

Re: "separated by a common language"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 5488152)
^ Okay, this begs the question. What do they call underwear in Canada? and what do they call the trash in New Zealand?

In Australia we call trash "rubbish" like 'put your rubbish in the bin', 'I'm taking the rubbish out' etc. I've never heard anyone here say "trash" and I would assume New Zealand is the same.

Pox Voldius January 27th, 2010 5:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 5488502)
In Australia we call trash "rubbish" like 'put your rubbish in the bin', 'I'm taking the rubbish out' etc. I've never heard anyone here say "trash" and I would assume New Zealand is the same.

Except that, from Tenshi's story, it seems that she did say "rubbish" and wasn't understood. That's why I asked what they call it in NZ.

Hysteria January 27th, 2010 6:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 5488610)
Except that, from Tenshi's story, it seems that she did say "rubbish" and wasn't understood. That's why I asked what they call it in NZ.

Oh sorry I missed that post. I just asked my NZ friend and she said she's never heard anyone say "trash" (the reason I assumed in my first post that NZ is the same as us with this is because I've only ever heard her say "rubbish") and they use the word "rubbish" in the same way people in the US say "trash". But then that sounds like it contradicts what Tenshi said? Maybe it varies depending on who you talk to.

FleurduJardin January 29th, 2010 2:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 5488489)
I was under the impression that the "shorts" bit came from a shortening of "boxer shorts", which can vaguely resemble the outerwear type of shorts. I'm not sure I've heard "shorts" applied to any variety apart from boxers... have you?

Yes, I believe "shorts" are used to mean "boxer shorts", the other kind of men underwear being "briefs". (Remember the question a student, I think it was, asked Bill Clinton when he was still campaigning for the presidency?)

I've never heard "knickers" used for women underwear in the part of th US I live in.

I also found out that a "chemise" (which means "shirt" in French) is a piece of underwear for the upper body. Sort of a tank top with spaghetti straps.

I haven't followed the discussion about "rubbish" and "trash" closely. I can only say that in my household at least, we take out the trash, or the garbage. We don't use the word "rubbish" except as an exclamation in response to a statement we don't find very smart, or very accurate.

Queen_Princess January 29th, 2010 4:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 5488152)
^ Okay, this begs the question. What do they call underwear in Canada? and what do they call the trash in New Zealand?

In Canada, we call underwear... underwear (well, the part of Canada where I live anyway)

FleurduJardin February 1st, 2010 7:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen_Princess (Post 5489711)
In Canada, we call underwear... underwear (well, the part of Canada where I live anyway)

What if you have to mention a specific piece of underwear? Like, one covering the lower body, or one covering the upper body? (I'm thinking for example of petticoats - if anyone wears them any more these days - and chemises or bras.)

Oh, another source of misunderstanding with French (which is not the same language as English but close enough so that words are similar and can lead to rather funny situations): In English, a "slip" is an undergarment (like a spaghetti strap underdress) that you wear under a regular outer dress or suit; in French, "un slip" is a pair of panties. One French friend of mine was aghast when she was told by a classmate "Your slip is showing". :lol: And in French "une brassière" is a baby garment, not a piece of feminine underwear. :lol:

Schlubalybub April 23rd, 2010 12:05 am

when we moved from scotland to wales, my brother got some funny looks from the neighbour for running to my mum and shouting "where's my knickers?"

Where we lived in Scotland all male and female underwear (apart from Boxers) were called knickers

Wab April 23rd, 2010 3:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 5488489)
I was under the impression that the "shorts" bit came from a shortening of "boxer shorts", which can vaguely resemble the outerwear type of shorts. I'm not sure I've heard "shorts" applied to any variety apart from boxers... have you?

In Australia "shorts" refers to outwear shorts. Boxer shorts is shortened to boxers.

leah49 May 4th, 2010 7:50 pm

So, in the places where they call underwear "shorts" what do they call shorts?

Pox Voldius May 4th, 2010 11:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah49 (Post 5531704)

Also "shorts"! :yuhup:

canismajoris May 6th, 2010 1:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah49 (Post 5531704)

Quizzically, around here, people call their shorts "underwear".

OK not really :yuhup:

Wab May 6th, 2010 2:15 am

Watching the US version of Who Do You Think You Are and was again struck by how a show with exactly the same format is so different once it crosses the Atlantic. The same is true of Time Team and Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars.

TheInvisibleF May 30th, 2010 6:03 pm

Found out another one at the weekend. For me (from the Republic of Ireland) 'ballot' always has something to do with elections. So I had a bit of a shock when I was at a conference and a man from Northern Ireland started asking me did I want to buy a ballot. It turns out that he meant raffle tickets.

MC2456 June 4th, 2010 9:25 am

:lol: I'm also surprised about the ballot thing. I've never heard of a ballot being referred to as anything else but a vote.

Schlubalybub June 8th, 2010 12:21 pm

I've heard that before, but not from round here

ginger1 June 8th, 2010 9:57 pm

OK so here is something I heard tonight, and I would like to check if it's true ... We (UK) people would consider "lumberjack" to be a tree-cutter-downer in North America - but now apparently it is a term used only in Canada. Yes?No?. What do you call a lumberjack in the US?

Pox Voldius June 9th, 2010 12:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginger1 (Post 5545339)
What do you call a lumberjack in the US?

A lumberjack. I've lived in 4 different states and can't recall ever hearing a lumberjack called anything else.

freelantzer June 9th, 2010 3:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginger1 (Post 5545339)
We (UK) people would consider "lumberjack" to be a tree-cutter-downer in North America - but now apparently it is a term used only in Canada. Yes?No?. What do you call a lumberjack in the US?

A lumberjack is a tree-cutter-downer in the US. We might also call them loggers, though.

Sheree June 9th, 2010 4:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5545485)
A lumberjack is a tree-cutter-downer in the US. We might also call them loggers, though.

:lol:

Melaszka June 30th, 2010 11:55 am

What do people call those lace-up canvas shoes with rubber soles that people often wear in the summer?

In the UK, I think they're usually known as "plimsolls", but I've also heard "tennis shoes" and we also seem to have a lot of regional variations over here - in Somerset, where I grew up, they're known as "daps" (but I've never heard that word outside Somerset), but I've also heard "pumps" used in other parts of the country.