Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Non Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   "separated by a common language" (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=113174)

mac_attack November 4th, 2007 1:08 am

Re: "separated by a common language"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc (Post 4828922)
British porridge is made with oats ("A grain that in England is fed to horses and in Scotland supports the people," according to Dr Johnson) It is eaten with sugar for breakfast though some people prefer salt.

We call that oatmeal. :) My dad makes it for me with brown sugar. Perfect breakfast on a cold morning.

And to add to Pox's pudding list, I have to say that tapioca pudding is the nastiest stuff I've ever experienced. It's not the flavor, it's the texture. (my friend refers to it as booger pudding. :nc:)

RavenEye November 4th, 2007 4:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_attack (Post 4833277)
We call that oatmeal. :) My dad makes it for me with brown sugar. Perfect breakfast on a cold morning.

Oatmeal's more like a coarse oat flour here, porridge is flaked oats.

Quote:

And to add to Pox's pudding list, I have to say that tapioca pudding is the nastiest stuff I've ever experienced. It's not the flavor, it's the texture. (my friend refers to it as booger pudding. :nc:)
Agree about tapioca. I like rice pudding though.

anabel November 5th, 2007 11:22 am

Quote:

And to add to Pox's pudding list, I have to say that tapioca pudding is the nastiest stuff I've ever experienced. It's not the flavor, it's the texture. (my friend refers to it as booger pudding. )

We used to call it frogspawn ... but I've always liked it.

ginger1 November 5th, 2007 11:20 pm

Oh, goodness, frogspawn - one of the truly vile memories from school dinners in England in the fifties. And semolina with a dollop of red (I won't even give it the distinction of being called raspberry jam) stuff plonked in the centre. Enthusiastically stirred around by my classmates until it resembled red wallpaper paste. A horrible, haunting memory. Bleeeuuuggghhh.

Luna would have hated it.

8m57w6 November 6th, 2007 3:47 am

*shudders* You should've seen some of the fits I threw over tapioca. It was that bad. I hated the stuff, still do, in fact, though I thankfully haven't had to endure it for years.

CakeorDeath November 6th, 2007 9:20 pm

I am the only person in the world who likes semolina?

JadeOwl November 6th, 2007 9:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeorDeath (Post 4835872)

Nope! I like it quite a bit, to be honest. :)

anabel November 6th, 2007 10:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeorDeath (Post 4835872)

I haven't eaten it in about 100 years, but I did like it at school. But as Ginger says, the red stuff plonked in the middle could hardly be called jam!

So to get back on topic ... do you have semolina or tapioca puddings in the US and if so, what do you call them?

Pox Voldius November 7th, 2007 1:44 am

Well, I know we have tapioca pudding here, and it is called tapioca pudding (it's one of the flavors of pre-packaged pudding that Jell-O makes)... but I'm not sure about the semolina pudding, I don't think I've ever seen that.

mac_attack November 7th, 2007 1:45 am

We have Tapioca Pudding. I've never heard of Semolina, though.

On the subject of food...what in the world is Picallily?? :eeep: What is Vimto??

Pox Voldius November 7th, 2007 1:52 am

Actually, I think that until the discussion of it in this thread, the only time I'd ever heard of semolina was in a line from the Beatles song "I Am the Walrus": Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower...

Sheree November 7th, 2007 1:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pox Voldius (Post 4836108)
Actually, I think that until the discussion of it in this thread, the only time I'd ever heard of semolina was in a line from the Beatles song "I Am the Walrus": Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower...

Actually, you're probably pretty familiar with another form of semolina, even if you don't know it - here it's packaged as "Cream of Wheat."

Pox Voldius November 7th, 2007 1:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheree (Post 4836112)
Actually, you're probably pretty familiar with another form of semolina, even if you don't know it - here it's packaged as "Cream of Wheat."

Actually... nope, not familiar with "Cream of Wheat", sorry :no:

Mundungus Fletc November 7th, 2007 6:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_attack (Post 4836102)
On the subject of food...what in the world is Picallily?? :eeep: What is Vimto??

Picallili (delicious with cold meat) and Vimto

MC2456 November 7th, 2007 1:39 pm

Quote:

Yes, I call it oatmeal too. And recently, I discovered, Americans call Asian porridge...well...porridge, and not congee! Wow, we have many similarities!

Well, enough of this porridge-y discussion. I'm drooling already, thinking about porridge! (And I just had dinner two hours ago.) :drool:

I haven't had the chance to taste real British/American pudding, but I have eaten mango pudding. When we have Chinese, my mom and I will order a bowl of mango pudding. Have any of you had the chance of tasting it yet? You have to try, it's quite nice. But then, I'm very partial to mangoes, so I do not know if it will agree with the rest of you. However, to me, anything's worth a shot. Even octopus sushi. Yum!

Well, I have another porridge-y question. *the whole cosforums groan* Sorry, y'all, it'll be my last. I swear! Um...what do the British people call the Asian-styled porridge? Thank you in advance, as it will clear my doubts and end my porridge-y questions. Thanks again, MC2456

RavenEye November 7th, 2007 7:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC2456 (Post 4836441)
Well, I have another porridge-y question. *the whole cosforums groan* Sorry, y'all, it'll be my last. I swear! Um...what do the British people call the Asian-styled porridge? Thank you in advance, as it will clear my doubts and end my porridge-y questions. Thanks again, MC2456

Congee.

anabel November 7th, 2007 10:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_attack (Post 4836102)
On the subject of food...what in the world is Picallily?? What is Vimto??

Picallilly is a yummy, bright yellow pickle, with cauliflower as one of the main ingredients, flavoured and coloured with mustard and turmeric. Vimto is a fruit flavour fizzy drink - a rather old fashioned one that my dad used to like.

Hysteria November 8th, 2007 2:38 am

I have a question for Americans. Yesterday on the tram I heard some American tourists talking to a local about how things are called different things in each of their countries. The American woman said something like "I asked for cream in my coffee and the waitress was very confused". Ok, so is the cream you put in coffee the same as milk?
Edit: For example, ask for cream in Australia and this is what you could end up with:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9...lecreamcu4.jpg

Pox Voldius November 8th, 2007 3:15 am

I'm pretty sure that cream for coffee is not the same milk.

But I'm not much of a coffee drinker.
Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the matter of different kinds of cream --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#Types_of_cream

Hysteria November 8th, 2007 3:28 am

Quote:

From Wiki:
Half cream 12% is not sterilised Only used in coffee
Ok then what would be the difference between that and milk?